• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scout.com: 49ers' Strenght and Weakness

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

pretty fair assessment.

as noted in other threads, the key so far is turnovers.....Alex Smith not making many, and our D getting some. its not only INT's cause in the past, Smith would lose it on fumbles whether he doesn't secure (hand too small?) or the rush is too strong. there were a few times THIS season where he suprisingly hung on?

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice article. I really think we should go CB in round one next year (unless A. Luck is available). C. Rogers as a #2 is ideal. We need Dre Kirkpatrick in round one next year. He is 6'3" and can run well. He also plays physical. Kirkpatrick and Rogers should sure up our secondary.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice article. I really think we should go CB in round one next year (unless A. Luck is available). C. Rogers as a #2 is ideal. We need Dre Kirkpatrick in round one next year. He is 6'3" and can run well. He also plays physical. Kirkpatrick and Rogers should sure up our secondary.

the way its going now..........if a QB isn't there, LT could be back in the picture?

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the way its going now..........if a QB isn't there, LT could be back in the picture?

I understand what you're saying but we have talent on the O line. We need to upgrade the talent of the backend bad. We cannot afford to push off CB another year unless it's for a franchise QB IMO.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm interested to see if Chris Culliver starts seeing the field more as the year progresses. He's a fairly major project, but he's got talent and was apparently making some pretty nice strides even during the abbreviated offseason. If we lose Roger, and even if we don't, we've got to at least consider CB is the talent is there.

Speaking of, putting in a word for a position, Deep? That's awfully unlike you....

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty fair assessment.

as noted in other threads, the key so far is turnovers.....Alex Smith not making many, and our D getting some. its not only INT's cause in the past, Smith would lose it on fumbles whether he doesn't secure (hand too small?) or the rush is too strong. there were a few times THIS season where he suprisingly hung on?

I agree, it is a pretty fair assessment. I agree with Sando's sentiment that Gore is playing injured, I'm not that confident about the healing process of his hip without the trainers in place. We're left, hoping, that he paid for his own rehab in Florida, but no confirmation either way with that.

There have been some hits on Smith, where I noticed while watching that Smith had no idea he was about to get blindsided and thought to myself, Oh crap... a fumble. Yet, somehow Smith has been holding on to those so far this year. Can you coach a QB to react so well to blindside hits?? Or is Smith just getting lucky so far?

I'm surprised at his high praise for Justin Smith, top 10 defender in the entire NFL is one heck of a compliment.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm interested to see if Chris Culliver starts seeing the field more as the year progresses. He's a fairly major project, but he's got talent and was apparently making some pretty nice strides even during the abbreviated offseason. If we lose Roger, and even if we don't, we've got to at least consider CB is the talent is there.

Speaking of, putting in a word for a position, Deep? That's awfully unlike you....

no, actually i always use position as much as i can? i TRY to avoid names granted you can't 100%.

i'm in no way declaring it should be LT, just saying it MIGHT be a consideration the way its going now? although i expect this O-line to improve, my hoping means squat. Staley could keep playing bad with no one to step up?

say at our turn to pick and the BPA is a 'franchise' LT, who knows?

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it is a pretty fair assessment. I agree with Sando's sentiment that Gore is playing injured, I'm not that confident about the healing process of his hip without the trainers in place. We're left, hoping, that he paid for his own rehab in Florida, but no confirmation either way with that.

There have been some hits on Smith, where I noticed while watching that Smith had no idea he was about to get blindsided and thought to myself, Oh crap... a fumble. Yet, somehow Smith has been holding on to those so far this year. Can you coach a QB to react so well to blindside hits?? Or is Smith just getting lucky so far?

I'm surprised at his high praise for Justin Smith, top 10 defender in the entire NFL is one heck of a compliment.

PFF ranked Justin Smith as the 2nd best player in the NFL last year, #1 was Aaron Rodgers.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/06/the-top-101-players-of-2010-the-top-20/

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
just wondering, any other notable free agents who provided similar "bang for the buck"?

Larry Allen
Nate Clements
Jonas Jennings
Antonio Bryant
???

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8-6 over the last 14? sure doesn't feel like it. if you look at smith's numbers from that point (eagles game) it'll show a big reason why we have a winning record over that period. smith stopped turning the ball over and became a much more efficient qb.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great effort player and a player who is rarely out of position and stays healthy. The type of player this team needs. Great Job Justin!!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I've been thinking about that, lately. Smith made some good saves on a couple of those, but I tend to think it's luck. If Ware hit the ball slightly differently coming off the backside, for instance, I don't think there's anything Smith could have done.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith saved two touchdowns IMO vs Dallas on that uneventful day.....