• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Lucas Daily Farm Archive

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How does Perez get the offense to produce run support?

He deserves at the very least a spot start to see how he performs. Yes if Wash continues to bat Murhpy in the 2-hole our offense may more bad nights then good until Kinsler gets back which I hope is Sunday

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He deserves at the very least a spot start to see how he performs. Yes if Wash continues to bat Murhpy in the 2-hole our offense may more bad nights then good until Kinsler gets back which I hope is Sunday

TEX problem is in the large measure not centered on its starting pitching. TEX problem is with poor run support. I am not sure what is gained versus the setback risk if Perez is activated and someone else is optioned to AAA to make room for him.

Until TEX fixes its offensive problem why should TEX screw up another young pitcher?

fanman8825

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
TEX problem is in the large measure not centered on its starting pitching. TEX problem is with poor run support. I am not sure what is gained versus the setback risk if Perez is activated and someone else is optioned to AAA to make room for him.

Until TEX fixes its offensive problem why should TEX screw up another young pitcher?

Like I said they should consider the option. Not something they need do right now. So I am trying to hypothetically fast forward our starting rotation to the trade deadline. For me the key cog in all this is Ogando. JD just said the other day that Ogando will be a starter and not relagated to the bullpen. I think if he is healthy and starting that could be the difference between us winning the division or being a wildcard. I will cautiously assume that we will have starting line-up back healthy and hitting and that Murphy will not be batting 2nd and just playing part time.
I do agree with your premise about building within the organization and not making any unneccessary trades that would cost too much.

BTW does Gallo get promoted to Myrtle Beach sometime soon possibly in July?

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll move posts that are more than a week to 10 days old here so we can reference later.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like I said they should consider the option. Not something they need do right now. So I am trying to hypothetically fast forward our starting rotation to the trade deadline. For me the key cog in all this is Ogando. JD just said the other day that Ogando will be a starter and not relagated to the bullpen. I think if he is healthy and starting that could be the difference between us winning the division or being a wildcard. I will cautiously assume that we will have starting line-up back healthy and hitting and that Murphy will not be batting 2nd and just playing part time.
I do agree with your premise about building within the organization and not making any unneccessary trades that would cost too much.

BTW does Gallo get promoted to Myrtle Beach sometime soon possibly in July?

I've been wrong so many times lately ... but I say No even though he hit his 20th HR tonight. Just too many Ks ... TEX needs to start now and get him to cut down on them. But as I said ... I've been wrong a lot lately.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been wrong so many times lately ... but I say No even though he hit his 20th HR tonight. Just too many Ks ... TEX needs to start now and get him to cut down on them. But as I said ... I've been wrong a lot lately.

I don't get all the K's. Did he have that many in spring training? Seemed like he was getting a ton of walks in ST.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll move posts that are more than a week to 10 days old here so we can reference later.

Cool. Thanks Ford. BTW my Chrome browser's internal search allows me to click on the entire thread for a name and each in turn pops up ... so can be used to reference later. IE may work the same way. Been so long since I used IE just don't remember how searches on a webpage like this with individual posts works. Anyway Chrome works.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rangers Farm Report: Games of 6/13

Ian Kinsler went 0-4 with two strikeouts in his first rehab appearance.

Stars of the Day
AAA: Jake Brigham / Mike Olt, Joey Butler, Engel Beltre, Jim Adduci
AA: Alex Buchholz
Hi-A: Jerad Eickhoff / Drew Robinsin
Lo-A: Luis Parra, Cody Kendall / Joey Gallo, Ryan Rua, Ronald Guzman

AAA: at Round Rock 4, Albuquerque (LAD) 9 (11 innings)
Scoreboard | Round Rock Express Scoreboard
Record: 37-21, tied for 1st

After two solid innings, Lisalverto Bonilla (6.16 ERA) imploded in the 11th: a leadoff walk, his own error and a wild pitch contributed to five runs. Bonilla struck out 5 of 15 batters. Spot-starter Evan Meek threw fewer than half of his 81 pitches for strikes, fighting through 3.2 innings with five walks and four runs allowed (two earned). Between them, Jake Brigham (7.90 ERA) offered 4.1 of his best AAA innings, permitting no runs on three hits and two walks while striking out two.

Mike Olt hit his fourth homer and singled. Olt is hitting .275/.348/.550 with a reasonable 26% strikeout rate since returning to Round Rock. Joey Butler clubbed his 7th homer and walked, and RF Jim Adduci went 2-3 with two walks.

Engel Beltre (275/.336/.357) drew three walks (and was hit by a pitch) for the second time in a week. Less than halfway into the season, he needs three walks to set a career high. Impatience has betrayed Beltre since the beginning; although very talented, he's never hit for enough average or power to paper over his atrocious walk rate. If it holds up, this newfound ability to take pitches meaningfully, as opposed to keeping the bat on his shoulder at seemingly random intervals, could pave the road to Arlington.

AA: at Frisco 1, Corpus Christi (HOU) 7
Scoreboard | Frisco RoughRiders Scoreboard
Record: 37-29, -4.0, elimination number 1

Carlos Pimentel was touched for four homers including two by recently reinstated slugger Jonathan Singleton, who's a good candidate to finish the season wearing a fancy new Astros uniform. Pimentel (3.60 ERA) allowed six other hits and seven runs, walked two and struck out four in five tumultuous innings.

Randy Henry made his first appearance in five weeks after recovery from an ulnar nerve injury. Henry retired only two of five batters but none scored. Phil Klein (1.50 ERA) tended the 6th and 7th with one hit, two walks and one strikeout.

Alex Buchholz (.273/.315/.429) hit his fifth homer.

Frisco needs four consecutive wins and the same number of losses by Corpus Christi just to tie for the first-half division title.

High-A: at Myrtle Beach 3, Carolina (CLE) 1
Scoreboard | Myrtle Beach Pelicans Scoreboard
Record: 37-28, +2.0, magic number 2

Jerad Eickhoff (3.52 ERA) declined to allow a run for the first time since mid-April. In seven innings, Eickhoff yielded four hits and two walks while striking out four. He's pitched seven or more innings in six of 13 starts, a major accomplishment at this level.

3B Drew Robinson led a mild offensive attack with two walks and a single. It's not enough to hang your hat on, but Robinson is hitting .281/.425/.469 in June, much more in tune with his 2012 Hickory season. His OBP slipped under .300 at the very end of May.

Low-A: at Hickory 5, Delmarva (BAL) 4
Scoreboard | Hickory Crawdads Scoreboard
Record: 38-29, +1.0, magic number 3

Joey Gallo hit his 21st homer, 15th double and 21st single. In his last six games, Gallo is hitting .500/.545/1.545 with seven homers. Ryan Rua hit his 19th homer and walked. Three games before midseason, Hickory has an incomprehensible 101 homers and 704 strikeouts. Ronald Guzman went 3-4 with a double, improving to .394/.444/.667 in ten games.

Luis Parra (1.24 ERA) gave up a season-high seven hits in five innings but suffered only two runs. Parra walked one and struck out two. Cody Kendall earned his sixth save with a scoreless 8th and 9th.

Short-A: Opening Day

23rd-overall selection Chi-Chi Gonzalez will start for short-season Spokane on Opening Day. Yohander Mendez will make his stateside debut Saturday, followed by 2012 supplemental 1st rounder Collin Wiles.

Five Years Ago Yesterday
OF Jason Botts signed with the Nippon Ham Fighters. (It's Nippon Ham, not Ham Fighters ,by the way.) As for his former teammates, the Redhawks trailed 5-3 and had two on, none out and Nelson Cruz, Chris Davis and John Mayberry waiting to hit when rain ended the contest. Present-day Hickory manager Corey Ragsdale homered in walk-off style for Frisco after reliever Andrew Laughter surrendered five runs in the 9th. Bakersfield's Evan Reed surrendered a homer to then-catcher Pablo Sandoval, who would reach the Majors and hit well that very year.

Today's Starters
AAA: Scott Richmond
AA: Tyler Tufts
Hi-A: Alec Asher
Lo-A: CJ Edwards
Short-A: Alex "Chi-Chi" Gonzalez

Sometime this season, I will almost certainly type "Chi-Chi Rodriguez." Apologies in advance.
--
Scott Lucas
Newberg Report (newbergreport.com)
rangers.scottlucas.com
twitter: @scottrlucas

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yea! Short Season A has started!

Rangers Farm Report: Games of 6/14

Ian Kinsler was 0-4 with a walk as AA Frisco's second baseman.

Texas named its Minor League Players of the Month for May: Frisco OF Teodoro Martinez (hitter), Myrtle Beach RHP Alec Asher (starting pitcher). Frisco 1B Brett Nicholas (defender), and Hickory RHP Alexander Claudio (reliever). Martinez was also added to the Texas League All-Star squad. Nicholas still catches occasionally and did so last night.

Stars of the Day
AAA: Scott Richmond, Ryan Rodebaugh / Offense
AA: Tyler Tufts, Jimmy Reyes / Alex Buchholz, Tomas Telis
Hi-A: Rougned Odor, Kellin Deglan
Lo-A: CJ Edwards / Ryan Rua

AAA: Round Rock 11, at Oklahoma City (HOU) 2
Record: 38-31, +1.0

A Hickory-esque box score for the Express. Solo homers from Jim Adduci (#8),Joey Butler (also #8) and Engel Beltre (#3) off Ross Seaton led a 21-baserunner attack. Beltre also singled, and Butler doubled and walked. RF Jared Hoying doubled and tripled.

Only Mike Olt failed to tally a base hit, and he walked twice. Robinson Chirinos matched Olt's walks and singled, as did 2B Greg Miclat. Finally, SS Yangervis Solarte was 2-4 with a double and walk.

In his second AAA appearance, Ryan Rodebaugh threw a 1-2-3 8th. Scott Richmond allowed two runs in seven innings.

AA: at Frisco 2, Corpus Christi (HOU) 3 (11 innings)
Record: 37-30, -5.0, eliminated

The Hooks scored on a two-run homer off a recently struggling Justin Miller (2 IP, 2 R, 3 SO, 8.31 ERA) and solo shot off Wilmer Font (1.63 ERA), who fanned four of seven batters faced. Starter Tyler Tufts (3.38 ERA) struck out four in five scoreless innings, and Jimmy Reyes (2.81 ERA) whiffed four in two frames.

Tomas Telis (.259/.280/.364) hit a solo homer, his third, and Alex Buchholz was 2-4 with a walk.

High-A: at Myrtle Beach 10, Carolina (CLE) 7
Record: 38-28, +2.0, 8-game win streak, magic number 1

On Twitter a while back, I'd joked that the Pelicans' terrible slump wouldn't end until Myrtle Beach's first Chipotle finally opened on June 20th. I was wrong. After squandering a 7.5-game lead, the Pelicans have won eight straight.

Carolina plunked six Pelicans including four during a six-run, 12-batter 6th. 2B Rougned Odor (.283/.359/.447) recorded two triples and an HBP, while Kellin Deglan (.210/.299/.438) went 2-3 with a triple and was hit.

Alec Asher (3.26 ERA) tied a season-high nine hits allowed and walked two in five innings, but only three scored. He struck out three and has an opposing line of .246/.308/.379.

The Pelicans have a postponed first-half game that won't be played until the second half. My magic number assumes it will count when played, not retroactively. If not, the magic number is two.

Low-A: at Hickory 4, Delmarva (BAL) 7
Record: 38-30, magic number 2

CJ Edwards faced 20 batters a struck out a career-high 12. In five innings, Edwards (2.05 ERA) surrendered two runs on two hits and a walk. Per Mark Parker, Hickory scorekeeper and general knower of things Hickory-related, Edwards' curve was especially nasty. Should the opportunity arise again, see him while you can, greater Hickory area residents.

Jose Valdespina (9.00 ERA) retired only one of six batters and allowed four runs.

Joey Gallo did not homer, but Ryan Rua hit his 20th and walked.

Short-A: at Spokane 4, Everett (SEA) 6
Record: 0-1

In front of an Opening Night crowd of 6,181, 2013 23rd-overall pick Chi-Chi Gonzalez retired five of 11 batters, yielding three runs on five hits and a walk in 1.2 innings. He struck out one. In his first appearance since 2011, that year's 3rd-rounder Kyle Castro walked four, struck out five, and allowed two runs and two hits in three innings. Ryne Slack, late of Hickory, fanned three in 2.1 scoreless. The other professional debut came from John Straka, a 32nd-round righty from North Dakota State. Strake struck out one and surrendered a solo homer and one other hit in two innings.

Only one hitter made his pro debut, 2B Evan Van Hoosier, 8th rounder from the College of Southern Nevada. He went 0-4. 20-year-old CF Chris Garia tripled and drove in three. Garia batted .246/.319/.328 in 47 games with the Indians last summer. He owns superior raw speed and should top last year's 18 steals. Doubling in their short-A debuts were 3B Janluis Castro (.350/.422/.467 with the rookies last summer) and SS Alberto Triunfel (.224/.312/.347 with '12 rookies). Both are 19.

Spokane committed three errors. The Indians defended terribly last year; they and the '09 Crawdads are the worst-fielding teams I've covered. This year should be better. I think.

Five Years Ago Yesterday
Frisco's Elvis Andrus stole his 23rd base. Bakersfield's Julio Borbon went 4-4 with a walk-off homer against an excellent San Jose squad. Bakersfield was 3-11 against San Jose and 33-23 against the rest of the league in the first half.

Today's Starters
AAA: Ryan Feierabend
AA: Neil Ramirez
Hi-A: Nick Martinez / Paul Schwendel
Lo-A: TBA
Short-A: Yohander Mendez
--
Scott Lucas
rangers.scottlucas.com

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea! Short Season A has started!

Rangers Farm Report: Games of 6/14

Ian Kinsler was 0-4 with a walk as AA Frisco's second baseman.

Texas named its Minor League Players of the Month for May: Frisco OF Teodoro Martinez (hitter), Myrtle Beach RHP Alec Asher (starting pitcher). Frisco 1B Brett Nicholas (defender), and Hickory RHP Alexander Claudio (reliever). Martinez was also added to the Texas League All-Star squad. Nicholas still catches occasionally and did so last night.

Stars of the Day
AAA: Scott Richmond, Ryan Rodebaugh / Offense
AA: Tyler Tufts, Jimmy Reyes / Alex Buchholz, Tomas Telis
Hi-A: Rougned Odor, Kellin Deglan
Lo-A: CJ Edwards / Ryan Rua

AAA: Round Rock 11, at Oklahoma City (HOU) 2
Record: 38-31, +1.0

A Hickory-esque box score for the Express. Solo homers from Jim Adduci (#8),Joey Butler (also #8) and Engel Beltre (#3) off Ross Seaton led a 21-baserunner attack. Beltre also singled, and Butler doubled and walked. RF Jared Hoying doubled and tripled.

Only Mike Olt failed to tally a base hit, and he walked twice. Robinson Chirinos matched Olt's walks and singled, as did 2B Greg Miclat. Finally, SS Yangervis Solarte was 2-4 with a double and walk.

In his second AAA appearance, Ryan Rodebaugh threw a 1-2-3 8th. Scott Richmond allowed two runs in seven innings.

AA: at Frisco 2, Corpus Christi (HOU) 3 (11 innings)
Record: 37-30, -5.0, eliminated

The Hooks scored on a two-run homer off a recently struggling Justin Miller (2 IP, 2 R, 3 SO, 8.31 ERA) and solo shot off Wilmer Font (1.63 ERA), who fanned four of seven batters faced. Starter Tyler Tufts (3.38 ERA) struck out four in five scoreless innings, and Jimmy Reyes (2.81 ERA) whiffed four in two frames.

Tomas Telis (.259/.280/.364) hit a solo homer, his third, and Alex Buchholz was 2-4 with a walk.

High-A: at Myrtle Beach 10, Carolina (CLE) 7
Record: 38-28, +2.0, 8-game win streak, magic number 1

On Twitter a while back, I'd joked that the Pelicans' terrible slump wouldn't end until Myrtle Beach's first Chipotle finally opened on June 20th. I was wrong. After squandering a 7.5-game lead, the Pelicans have won eight straight.

Carolina plunked six Pelicans including four during a six-run, 12-batter 6th. 2B Rougned Odor (.283/.359/.447) recorded two triples and an HBP, while Kellin Deglan (.210/.299/.438) went 2-3 with a triple and was hit.

Alec Asher (3.26 ERA) tied a season-high nine hits allowed and walked two in five innings, but only three scored. He struck out three and has an opposing line of .246/.308/.379.

The Pelicans have a postponed first-half game that won't be played until the second half. My magic number assumes it will count when played, not retroactively. If not, the magic number is two.

Low-A: at Hickory 4, Delmarva (BAL) 7
Record: 38-30, magic number 2

CJ Edwards faced 20 batters a struck out a career-high 12. In five innings, Edwards (2.05 ERA) surrendered two runs on two hits and a walk. Per Mark Parker, Hickory scorekeeper and general knower of things Hickory-related, Edwards' curve was especially nasty. Should the opportunity arise again, see him while you can, greater Hickory area residents.

Jose Valdespina (9.00 ERA) retired only one of six batters and allowed four runs.

Joey Gallo did not homer, but Ryan Rua hit his 20th and walked.

Record: 0-1

In front of an Opening Night crowd of 6,181, 2013 23rd-overall pick Chi-Chi Gonzalez retired five of 11 batters, yielding three runs on five hits and a walk in 1.2 innings. He struck out one. In his first appearance since 2011, that year's 3rd-rounder Kyle Castro walked four, struck out five, and allowed two runs and two hits in three innings. Ryne Slack, late of Hickory, fanned three in 2.1 scoreless. The other professional debut came from John Straka, a 32nd-round righty from North Dakota State. Strake struck out one and surrendered a solo homer and one other hit in two innings.

Only one hitter made his pro debut, 2B Evan Van Hoosier, 8th rounder from the College of Southern Nevada. He went 0-4. 20-year-old CF Chris Garia tripled and drove in three. Garia batted .246/.319/.328 in 47 games with the Indians last summer. He owns superior raw speed and should top last year's 18 steals. Doubling in their short-A debuts were 3B Janluis Castro (.350/.422/.467 with the rookies last summer) and SS Alberto Triunfel (.224/.312/.347 with '12 rookies). Both are 19.

Spokane committed three errors. The Indians defended terribly last year; they and the '09 Crawdads are the worst-fielding teams I've covered. This year should be better. I think.

Five Years Ago Yesterday
Frisco's Elvis Andrus stole his 23rd base. Bakersfield's Julio Borbon went 4-4 with a walk-off homer against an excellent San Jose squad. Bakersfield was 3-11 against San Jose and 33-23 against the rest of the league in the first half.

Today's Starters
Hi-A: Nick Martinez / Paul Schwendel
Lo-A: TBA
--
Scott Lucas
rangers.scottlucas.com

Checking minor league scores tonight and noticed a couple of things.
Neil Ramirez pitched 6 innings of three hit ball with 10 K's and 18 year old 1st baseman Ronald Guzman was 3-5 tonight for Hickory and is hitting over .400 since joining the team. 18 years old!!!!

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rangers Farm Report: Games of 6/15

Stars of the Day
AAA: Yoshinori Tateyama / Jared Hoying, Robinson Chirinos
AA: Neil Ramirez, Richard Bleier / Odubel Herrera
Hi-A: Paul Schwendel, Joe Van Meter / Luis Sardinas, Trever Adams
Lo-A: Connor Sadzeck, Ryan Bores / Joey Gallo, Ryan Rua, Nick Vickerson, Jorge Alfaro, Ronald Guzman, Lewis Brinson
Short-A: Mike Zouzalik / Janluis Castro

AAA: Round Rock 4, at Oklahoma City (HOU) 6

Record: 38-32, tied for 1st

Down 6-0 early, Jared Hoying hit a two-run homer, his second with the Express, and Robinson Chirinos hit a solo shot (his fifth) to reduce the margin. Five of Hoying's seven extra-base hits in Round Rock have gone for extra bases.(Huh?)

Ryan Feierabend (4.31 ERA) allowed all the runs. Yoshi Tateyama struck out four in two scoreless innings.

Yangervis Solarte continues to draw the daily assignment at shortstop. Solarte had ten appearances at short from 2006 through the end of this May. Since then: 13 consecutive starts.

AA: at Frisco 3, Corpus Christi (HOU) 0
Record: 38-30, -4.0, eliminated

Neil Ramirez (3.12 ERA) fanned ten in six scoreless innings, allowing three walks and two hits. His first half ends with an opposing line of .182/.292/.332 and a 31% strikeout rate. A high walk+HBP count (40 in 75 innings) is the only sour note. Aside from 2010 in Hickory, his control has been average at best, usually worse.

Frisco didn't post any gaudy offensive stats but scored twice off fireballer Mike Foltynewicz in the 6th. Foltynewicz's fastball runs a steady mid-to-upper 90s and will surpass 100 occasionally. 2B Odubel Herrera (.268/.285/.350) singled, doubled, and hit a sac fly.

Richard Bleier (2 IP, 2 SO) and Ben Rowen (1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 1 SO) handled the Hooks after Ramirez departed.

High-A: at Myrtle Beach 2, Carolina (CLE) 8 (7 innings)
High-A: at Myrtle Beach 5, Carolina (CLE) 1 (7 innings)
Record: 39-29, +2.5, first-half division champion

Despite losing the doubleheader opener, the Pelicans clinched the first-half title when word came that Winston-Salem had also lost. Staked to a 2-0 lead, Nick Martinez suffered from his own wildness and an exceptionally rough day at the office by 1B Joe Maloney, who committed three errors. Martinez walked three (two of which would score), threw a wild pitch and allowed four hits in 5.2 innings. He permitted six runs, four earned, and struck out five. Martinez nevertheless finished with a solid first half, holding opponents to a .242/.305/.339 line.

LF Trever Adams singled and doubled. Carolina stole four bases against the battery of Martinez and catcher Pat Cantwell, and two more when Jon Edwards replaced Martinez.

In the nightcap, Paul Schwendel (3.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 6 SO) and Joe Van Meter (3.1 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 SO) insured that Myrtle Beach would not lose another 2-0 lead. Luis Sardinas was 2-4 with a double, and seven others had one hit.

Low-A: at Hickory 12, Delmarva (BAL) 0
Record: 39-30, +0.5, magic number 1

Hickory pounded yet another four homers along with 17 other hits. Delmarva had allowed an impressively modest 23 homers in its first 63 games, but that total now stands at 30 after three games in Hickory. Joey Gallo (.252/.343/.592) hit his minors-leading 22nd bomb and singled twice. Ryan Rua (.255/.365/.632) homered twice to tie Gallo for the lead and doubled. LF Nick Vickerson (.257/.414/.404) clubbed his third, singled and walked.

The Sally League has 13 hitters with ten homers. Five are Crawdads: Gallo (22), Rua (22), Brinson (13), Nick Williams (12) and Alfaro (10). The first three alone have more than any other team in the league. Gallo has eight homers in his last 34 trips to the plate.

C Jorge Alfaro (.256/.332/.453) and CF Lewis Brinson (.247/.326/.462) were 3-5 with a double, and 1B Ronald Guzman (.405/.444/.619) hit three singles.

RHP Conner Sadzeck (2.78 ERA) was reinstated from the DL and threw five scoreless innings with two hits, three walks and five strikeouts. Ryan Bores (4.06 ERA) handled the next three innings with two hits and a strikeout on his ledger.

Hagerstown swept its doubleheader with Lakewood, moving back to within one-half game of the Crawdads. A Hickory win or Hagerstown loss will bring a division title. They can't finish tied because of three cancelled Hagerstown games.

Scoreboard | Spokane Indians Scoreboard
Record: 0-2

Spokane lost in similar fashion to the night before, staking Everett an early, error-fueled lead. In his stateside debut, Yohander Mendez walked four in three innings, struck out five, and allowed three hits and three runs (two unearned). Despite the results, the 18-year-old Mendez is one to watch.

21-year-old Alex de la Cruz, also new to the US, pitched the 8th and 9th with relative ease and struck out one. He did walk one, an exceptionally rare occurrence last summer in the Dominican Republic (2 in 37.1 innings).

Between Mendez and de la Cruz, Mike Zouzalik spread three baserunners and fanned two in two scoreless innings. Texas signed the 22-year-old Austin native and UT-Pan Am alum at an open tryout in Round Rock last summer.

DH Janluis Castro provided most of Spokane's offense via double, single and walk. Making their professional debuts were RF Ryan Cordell (11th round, Liberty University), catcher Marcus Greene (16th, New Mexico JC) and 3B Roberto Duran (free agent, Lee University). Cordell singled and reached on an HBP, while the others were 0-4.

Five Years Ago Yesterday
Texas DFA'ed Robinson Tejeda and recalled Kason Gabbard. As for the minors, I accidentally jumped forward a day while in Mexico, so I'll start fresh tomorrow.

Today's Starters
AAA: Brad Mills
AA: Kevin Pucetas
Hi-A: Victor Payano
Lo-A: Andrew Faulkner
Short-A: Collin Wiles
--
Scott Lucas
rangers.scottlucas.com

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rangers Farm Report: Games of 6/16

Stars of the Day
AAA: Joseph Ortiz / Mike Olt, Engel Beltre, Robinson Chirinos, Eli Whiteside
AA: Alex Buchholz
Hi-A: Will Lamb / Joe Maloney, Drew Robinson, Jake Skole
Lo-A: Alexander Claudio
Short-A: Collin Wiles

AAA: Round Rock 9, at Oklahoma City (HOU) 4
Record: 39-32, +0.5

Mike Olt homered twice in an eight-run 9th. Video Highlights & Clips - MiLB | Round Rock's Olt homers off Humber - Video | Round Rock Express Multimedia Olt has five homers since returning to Round Rock and a line of .250/.333/.577. He's drawing walks and striking out less than usual (23%, albeit in a small sample). As for any "will Texas call him up" questions, my feeling is Texas would prefer to keep him in AAA for the time being. Even before his eye issue, he was deemed not quite ready for prime time. Also, Mitch Moreland's upcoming return and the lack of immediate movement regarding Nelson Cruz and Biogenesis obviate an urgent need for him.

CF Engel Beltre clubbed his fourth homer of the mont
h after hitting none in April or May. He added two singles to improve to .280/.345/.382. Robinson Chirinos (.288/.388/.456) was 2-4 with a double and walk. Eli Whiteside also homered in the 9th, his fourth of the season.

Joseph Ortiz struck out two and earned an unlikely win with a scoreless 8th and 9th. Brad Mills (3.01 ERA) gave up three runs in six innings.

AA: at Frisco 4, Midland (OAK) 16

Record: 38-31, -4.0, eliminated

If you insist. Kevin Pucetas (4.72 ERA) surrendered 11 runners and eight runs (3 earned) in four innings. Arlett Mavare (7.66 ERA) allowed three homers and six runs while retiring only two batters. IF Guilder Rodriguez pitched the 9th and gave up a long homer to Chad Oberacker. 3B Alex Buchholz (.272/.316/.426) walked twice and hit his sixth homer.

High-A: at Myrtle Beach 7, Carolina (CLE) 5
Record: 40-29, +2.5, first-half division champion

Tied at five with two out in the 9th, 3B Drew Robinson (2-3, 2 BB) walked and Joe Maloney (.319/.407/.447) homered. CF Jake Skole (.192/.298/.266) walked twice, doubled and stole his third base.

Victor Payano (3.93 ERA) walked four in three innings, struck out two and allowed two runs and three hits. Like last year, Payano's control has faltered in June. Will Lamb (4.96 ERA) spread a walk, HBP and single around two scoreless innings.

Low-A: at Hickory 2, Delmarva (BAL) 4
Record: 39-31, -0.5, eliminated

Tasked with a must-win situation, Hickory managed two baserunners through the first eight innings and suffered several defensive lapses including three errors. Still, the Crawdads had Ryan Rua and Jorge Alfaro batting as the tying run in the 9th before succumbing. Washington-affiliated Hagerstown won the division despite fewer wins than Hickory; three cancelled games resulted in a higher winning percentage for the Suns. Hagerstown had a vastly superior run differential compared to Hickory, so it's not as though they didn't earn the title.

Now in his third full season, Delmarva starter Parker Bridwell had allowed at least two runs and five runners in every start this year, but against Hickory he set personal bests in innings (8) and strikeouts (10).

Andrew Faulkner (2.80 ERA) gave up three runs, all technically earned, on six hits and a walk in five innings. He struck out two. Alexander Claudio fanned three in 2.2 perfect innings.

CJ Edwards "will not be available" in Tuesday's All-Star game per a Sally League press release. Edwards last pitched on Friday the 14th.

Short-A: at Spokane 3, Everett (SEA) 4
Record: 0-3, -3.0

2012 53rd-overall selection Collin Wiles lasted a career-best 5.1 innings and allowed three runs on five hits, two walks and two strikeouts. Last summer in rookie ball, Wiles displayed very good control for an 18-year-old (7% walk rate) but caught too much plate with those strikes (.310 opposing average). Eric Brooks (2.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 3 SO) and Josh McElwee (1 IP, 1 H, 1 SO) also pitched. Both are Spokane veterans who were hit pretty hard in brief stays at Hickory earlier this season.

Spokane scored a not-terrible 11 runs in the series but batted .149/.283/.253. CF Chris Garia was 2-4 with a double and a caught-stealing. 1B Cam Schiller walked twice.

Five Years Ago Yesterday
Chris Davis hit his 7th AAA homer and 20th overall. He was batting .350/.411/.688. After a messy three-run 1st, Matt Harrison allowed no runs, walked none, and struck out three in 6.2 innings. In his best high-A start, Bakersfield's Omar Poveda tossed seven-plus innings with one earned run, three hits, two walks and six strikeouts. Now 25, Poveda has a 3.01 ERA in 83 innings for Atlanta's AAA squad. Poveda and reliever Evan Reed were traded to Florida for Jorge Cantu in 2010.

Today's Starters
AAA: Martin Perez
AA: Nick McBride
Hi-A: off
Lo-A: off
Short-A: David Ledbetter
--
Scott Lucas
rangers.scottlucas.com

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rangers Farm Report: Games of 6/17

Texas has signed 10th-round RHP Cole Wiper out of the University of Oregon. Wiper turned 21 just before the draft and was a redshirt freshman, having pitched just 12.2 innings this spring after recovering from Tommy John surgery. Wiper's bonus of $700,000 trails only first-rounders Chi-Chi Gonzalez and Travis Demeritte. Baseball America listed him outside its Top 500, ranking him 11th among Oregon prospects. Obviously, the Rangers see significant upside. As a high-school senior, BA ranked him 192nd overall. He's got three useful secondary pitches and a fastball that has touched the mid-nineties per various reports.

Stars of the Day
AAA: Martin Perez / Leury Garcia, Joey Butler, Robinson Chirinos, Mike Bianucci
AA: Nick McBride, Jimmy Reyes, Wilmer Font / Chih-Hsieh Chiang
Short-A: David Ledbetter, Sam Wolff, Travis Dean, Justin Sprenger / Cam Schiller, Evan Van Hoosier, Marcus Greene

AAA: Round Rock 12, at Oklahoma City (HOU) 2

Record: 40-32, +0.5

Fresh off an eight-run 9th on Sunday, Round Rock scored 12 in the first four innings and batted around twice. Everybody scored, and all except Engel Beltre reached safely twice. Leury Garcia singled, doubled and stole a base, RF Joey Butler (.332/.417/.510) was 4-6, and Mike Olt (.250/.338/.571 post-blindness) walked and doubled. Catcher Robinson Chirinos (.290/.399/.457) drew three walks and singled, and 1B Mike Bianucci (.181/.321/.319) was 1-3 with two walks.

As Nick Tepesch toiled in Arlington, Martin Perez shut out the Redhawks for six innings on a modest 77 pitches. Perez wasn't flashy but allowed minimal solid contact in the form of three hits. He walked one and struck out one. For the season, his ERA dropped to 1.75 with an opposing line of .242/.305/.339.

AA: at Frisco 2, Midland (OAK) 1
Record: 39-31, -4.0, eliminated

RF Chih-Hsiang Chiang's two-run homer in the 5th would be all Frisco needed. Chiang (.230/.264/.383) also singled.

Nick McBride (6.50 ERA) offered his best AA performance, allowing just an unearned run in five innings on six hits, two walks and five strikeouts. Jimmy Reyes (2.60 ERA) followed with three strikeouts in 2.2 scoreless innings. Ever the entertainer, Wilmer Font (1.55 ERA) walked his first two batters in the 9th before retiring the last three. He fanned three in 1.1 innings. Font has allowed only 12 hits all season (.126 average) but another 25 have reached on walks or HBPs.

The first half is over. Frisco finished eight games over .500 despite being outscored by a run and posting a .299 on-base percentage.

High-A: off

The California/Carolina League All-Star Game takes place tonight in San Jose, CA.

Low-A: off

Lakewood, NJ, hosts the Sally League All-Star Game tonight.

Short-A: Spokane 10, at Vancouver (TOR) 1
Record: 1-3, -3.0

After three games and four innings of modest offensive output, Spokane sent 14 to the plate in an eight-run 5th. Catcher Marcus Greene (2013 16th round) was 3-3 with two walks, and 1B Cam Schiller (a 2012 holdover) went 2-4 with a double and triple. 2B Evan Van Hoosier (2013 8th round) doubled and drew three walks, and 3B Janluis Castro and RF Ryan Cordell singled twice. Greene is the youngest position player on the team, an 18-year-old until mid-August.

Four 2013 draftees made their professional debuts and pitched well. 3rd-rounder David Ledbetter from Cedarville University in Ohio fanned two and allowed one hit over the first three innings. Sam Wolff (6th round, New Mexico) didn't let two walks hurt him in the 4th, and Travis Dean (26th round, Kennesaw St.) worked around a single in the 5th. Texas also drafted Dean in the 22nd round last year. Justin Sprenger (29th round, Tennessee Wesleyan) covered the 6th and 7th, fanning six straight after a leadoff single.

Five Years Ago Yesterday
Mike Ballard threw 116 pitches in a 4.2-inning start. Texas's 14th rounder in 2006 would be summoned to Arlington a month later to make his MLB debut against the Angels. Instead, Warner Madrigal drew the spot-start. In July 2011, the Orioles purchased Ballard's contract but never used him in a game and optioned him the next day. Ballard now pitches for independent Southern Maryland.

In the Midwest League All-Star Game, Mitch Moreland walked and singled, Jonathan Greene doubled in two at-bats, and catcher Jose Felix was 1-2. Derek Holland struck out two in a scoreless second, and Neftali Feliz retired the one batter he faced, Cardinals’ 2007 #1 pick Peter Kozma.

Today's Starters

AAA: Evan Meek
AA: Carlos Pimentel
Short-A: Kelvin Vasquez
--
Scott Lucas
rangers.scottlucas.com

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1B Mitch Moreland was 3-4 with two doubles for AA Frisco.

Rangers Farm Report: Games of 6/18

Stars of the Day
AAA: Evan Meek, Jake Brigham / Leury Garcia, Engel Beltre, Mike Bianucci, Joey Butler, Jared Hoying
AA: Richard Bleier / Teodoro Martinez
Hi-A: All-Stars
Lo-A: All-Stars
Short-A: John Straka, Alex de la Cruz, Josh McElwee / Chris Garia, Evan Van Hoosier

AAA: at Round Rock 9, Memphis (STL) 2
Record: 41-32, +0.5

After averaging nine runs per game at Oklahoma City, the Express posted that very number against Memphis. Leury Garcia singled and homered, RF Jared Hoying doubled and tripled (the latter on a misplayed fly, but it counts the same), and LF Joey Butler was 2-4 with a double and walk. CF Engel Beltre was 3-3 but after racing out a bunt single, he turned toward second base and was tagged out. Beltre argued the call and was ejected more quickly than his home-to-first time. Replacement Mike Bianucci singled and doubled.

Evan Meek pitched six strong innings, allowing two runs and fanning six. Jake Brigham (7.18 ERA) struck out five in three scoreless, one-hit innings. They held top OF prospect Oscar Taveras hitless.

AA: at Frisco 4, Midland (OAK) 9
Record: 0-1 (second half)

For about a month, Carlos Pimentel (4.07 ERA) has reverted to the oft-shaky form he exhibited during 2011 and early 2012. Pimentel actually retired 12 of his first 13 batters, but in the 5th he hit a batter, walked three others and gave up an RBI single and grand slam. He surrendered six runs in 4.2 innings and struck out three. Pimentel has always been fly-prone and will allow the homer, so he has to minimize walks in front of them to be effective.

Richard Bleier (3.86 ERA) tossed 2.1 scoreless innings. Justin Miller (9.90 ERA) continues to struggle, giving up another two runs. He's allowed 15 runners and 10 runs in his last 4.1 innings.

LF Teodoro Martinez (.280/.326/.410) was 3-5 with his 15th steal.

High-A: Carolina 12, at California 2
Scoreboard | Carolina League Scoreboard

Luke Jackson drew the starting assignment and worked around a walk in his one inning. He touched 96 on the stadium gun a couple of times and fanned his last batter on a hard curve. Nick Martinez posted an identical line in the 5th, fanning one batter on a sinker or hard change (I didn't get a good look). Alec Asher surrendered a couple of doubles and a run in a one-strikeout 7th.

2B Rougned Odor played the entire game and was 1-5 with two runs scored. Luis Sardinas appeared in the 5th and singled home two against ex-Ranger lefty Edwin Escobar, whom Texas traded for Ben Snyder back in 2010. Sardinas and Odor teamed up on a nifty double play with Martinez on the mound.

Low-A: at North 2, South 1
Scoreboard | South Atlantic League Scoreboard

Starting CF Lewis Brinson was 0-2 with a 1st-inning walk, and fellow starter Joey Gallo singled in three at-bats. Ryan Rua was 0-1 in a brief appearance, as was catcher Jorge Alfaro. Alex Claudio earned the save with a two-hit, one-strikeout 7th. Authorities had agreed to shorten the contest to seven innings following a nearly three-hour rain delay.

With Brinson at the plate, White Sox Micah Johnson and Pirate Dilson Herrera executed a double steal of second and home. Johnson then stole third and scored on a Brinson groundout. Johnson is hitting .339/.422/.525 with 54 steals.

Short-A: Spokane 4, at Vancouver (TOR) 5 (12 innings)
Record: 1-4, -3.0

The Indians led 4-3 with two out in the 9th and recorded a third strike against the next batter. And they lost. With a runner on second, said third strike escaped catcher Marcus Greene, who then threw wide of first and allowed the runner to score the game-tying run. Poor Josh McElwee, who struck out seven batters in two innings, was charged with a blown save. Greene did walk twice, improving to .300/.500/.300 in three games.

Starter Kelvin Vasquez, who'd opened the season in Hickory, struck out four in 2.2 innings and allowed three runs (one earned) on four hits and a walk. Final pitcher Richard Alvarez walked three and allowed a two-out single just in front of CF Chris Garia that plated the game-ending run. Between them, John Straka (2.1 IP, 1 H, 3 SO) and Alex de la Cruz (2 IP, 1 H, 1 SO) pitched well.

Garia tripled, singled, walked and stole two bases. 2B Evan Van Hoosier was 2-4 with a doubled and walk.

Five Years Ago Yesterday
Five OKC homers: Chris Davis (twice), Taylor Teagarden, Nelson Cruz and… Drew Meyer. Frisco utility guy Thomas Berkery homered in his last two at-bats to provide the tying and winning runs in a 6-5 win. Mauro Gomez and Grant Gerrard homered for Bakersfield.

17-year-old Martin Perez made his professional debut against a lineup with an average age of 22 years, three months. He allowed only four of 21 batters to reach safely but three scored because of errors and aggressive baserunning.

I neglected to mention that Neil Ramirez made his pro debut five years and two days ago. He walked four and committed four balks. Wilfredo Boscan pitched respectably in his US debut.

Today's Starters
AAA: Scott Richmond
AA: Tyler Tufts
Lo-A: off
Short-A: Chi-Chi Gonzalez
--
Scott Lucas
rangers.scottlucas.com

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rangers Farm Report: Games of 6/19

Sorry for the delay. I was waiting for the rookie roster to arrive.

Texas promoted reliever Ben Rowen to Round Rock and Alex Claudio to Frisco from Hickory. Rowen (0.53 ERA) had an opposing line of .198/.268/.250 and 22% strikeout rate in 33 innings at Frisco. Claudio is skipping Myrtle Beach. His slow-mo changeup produced a miniscule .139/.176/.196 line from opponents and 62 strikeouts in just 47 innings.

Rehabbing Mitch Moreland was 3-5 with a double and homer for Frisco.

Stars of the Day
AAA: Yoshinori Tateyama, Ryan Rodebaugh / Mike Olt, Yangervis Solarte
AA: Teodoro Martinez, Hanser Alberto, Chih-Hsien Chiang
Short-A: Chris Garia

AAA: at Round Rock 4, Memphis (STL) 9
Record: 41-33, tied for first

Mike Olt (.266/.351/.609 since his return) hit his seventh homer and eighth double. Video Highlights & Clips - MiLB | Round Rock's Olt hits two-run homer - Video | Round Rock Express Multimedia Yangervis Solarte doubled and singled as a shortstop. Leury Garcia played center field and drew a walk in five appearances.

Ryan Rodebaugh (6.00 ERA) tossed three scoreless relief innings with three walks and three strikeouts. Yoshi Tateyama fanned five in three scoreless frames. 12 of 15 batters reached safely against starter Scott Richmond (7.44 ERA), who allowed all the runs and three homers.

AA: at Frisco 9, Midland (OAK) 5
Record: 1-1, tied for first

LF Teodoro Martinez (.289/.336/.431) was 3-4 with a walk and his eighth homer. Chih-Hsien Chiang singled and doubled, while 2B Odubel Herrera and 3B Alex Buchholz singled twice. Hanser Alberto stole his eighth and ninth bases and reached on a single and walk.

Tyler Tufts (4.2 IP 3 R) and Phil Klein (2.1 IP, 2 R) were roughed up a little.

Frisco finally DL'ed OF Joe Benson, who has barely played since the end of May because of a groin pull.

High-A and Low-A: off

Short-A: Spokane 3, at Vancouver (TOR) 8
Record: 1-5, -4.0

Errors and wild pitches played significant roles in five of Vancouver's eight runs. Chi-Chi Gonzalez surrendered three unearned runs in two innings on four hits while striking out one. Gonzalez threw 113 innings with Oral Roberts this strong, so I'd expect his workload in Spokane to be modest. Kyle Castro fanned five in three innings and allowed two runs (one earned) on five hits. Eric Brooks offered two scoreless innings with two strikeouts.

CF Chris Garia (.320/.370/.520) singled twice and walked. Depending on his progress and room above, I suppose Garia could finish 2013 in Hickory. He spent all of 2012 at Spokane.

Rookie: off

The Arizona League begins tonight. 18-year-old Kevin Sosa, who began this year in the Dominican Summer League, draws the Opening Day start. I still don't have a full roster, but a few have been assigned according to the interwebs:

RHP Brett Anderson (free agent, ex-Tiger IF)
RHP Akeem Bostick (2nd round)
RHP Nick Gardenwine (7th)
RHP David Gates (18th)
RHP Tim Kennelly (Aussie signing)
RHP Ryan Ledbetter (19th)
RHP Easton Napiontek (34th)
LHP Joseph Palumbo (30th)
RHP Ricardo Rodriguez (1.80 ERA in 5 DSL innings)
RHP Jose Samayoa (9th)
RHP Kevin Sosa (1.80 ERA in 15 DSL innings)
LHP Derek Thompson (12th)
RHP Cole Wiper (10th)
IF Travis Demeritte (1st)
OF Todd McDonald (another Aussie)
OF Jose Gonzalez (.289/.396/.356 in 13 DSL games)

Five Years Ago Yesterday
Tied 8-8 with one out in the bottom of the 9th, Bakersfield's Jose Vallejo singled, stole second and third, and scored on a Chad Tracy fly to right. Kasey Kiker gave up three runs in 5.2 innings. I wrote at length about his improved control, which, in retrospect, was unique to 2008.

Today's Starters
Lo-A: Luis Parra
Rookie: Kevin Sosa
--
Scott Lucas
rangers.scottlucas.com

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olt is playing out of his mind right now.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olt is playing out of his mind right now.

He's playing like he did in AA before his ML call-up, just doing it in AAA now

Its nice to see only 8 Ks in his last 43 plate appearances (excluding HBPs or anything else, as I could only find ABs, BBs, & Ks)

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's playing like he did in AA before his ML call-up, just doing it in AAA now

Its nice to see only 8 Ks in his last 43 plate appearances (excluding HBPs or anything else, as I could only find ABs, BBs, & Ks)

Very good to see him responding. There isn't a roster spot for him ... at the moment. He's not had any 1b or OF work this season ... but until Baker gets back am sure TEX is keeping an eye on Olt. Chirinos value at C and both CIF spots makes him a better roster fit at the moment than Olt. But if Beltre were to go down ... Olt will be on the next flight.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good to see him responding. There isn't a roster spot for him ... at the moment. He's not had any 1b or OF work this season ... but until Baker gets back am sure TEX is keeping an eye on Olt. Chirinos value at C and both CIF spots makes him a better roster fit at the moment than Olt. But if Beltre were to go down ... Olt will be on the next flight.

That's the best thing at this point

Well Chirinos is probably gone after tomorrow with Moreland coming back