• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Schwartz on Reiff

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwartz last night after round 1. From mlive. Detroit Lions Jim Schwartz says offensive line needs more work, but confident with Riley Reiff at left tackle | MLive.com

"We have a long way to go," Schwartz said. "We drafted Riley Reiff last year. We have a lot of confidence in Riley. Riley played a game for us, started a game for us last year and did a good job there. He looks better this year than he did last year. We have other young players across the line and we still have a lot of draft to go."
Schwartz reiterated that the team is comfortable and confident with Reiff starting at left tackle next season.
"That's why we drafted him," Schwartz said. "That's why we drafted him last year, and when Jeff (Backus) got hurt for that one game, that's why Riley went in and played."

I'm glad he indicates that the line will be/needs to be addressed. Better happen in the next couple of rounds.

ps: for those who needed the reaffirmation, he again plainly states that Reiff was drafted to play left tackle.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him too, but can he play guard? We have at least 1 tackle spot and 1 guard spot that need desparately to be filled for this season.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones? Yes. He was an All American in 2011 at guard. Then he switched to center last year and was All American there. Plus being voted in as academic All American. I see no downside. I know I've repeated myself on here multiple times, but I just can't see a better pick for us and our needs on the O-line.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barrett Jones or Brian Schwenke @ the top of the 3rd would be amazing if either one is still there...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schwenke would be a great pick. I'm doubtful that Jones gets back around. I just hope they both aren't gone.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
jones in the 3rd is good. or amerson. i say watson in the 2nd

I know Schwartz needs to say that he has confidence in Reiff. What else is he going to say?

But it's going to be interesting tonight. If the Lions select Watson in the 2nd or Armstead in the 3rd you have to wonder how confident he is in Reiff being our LT.

Of course, I'm sure he would spin it and say that the pick is in no way a reflection on Reiff, they just couldn't pass on such a talent falling to them. And who knows? Maybe Watson & Armstead are RT prospects and Reiff would still be the LT.

Personally, I think the Hilliard & Fox duo is sufficient at RT. And I don't think either Watson or Armstead have better potential than Reiff at LT. That's why I would prefer we wait on drafting another tackle. I want to see what we have in Reiff first. It's not like the Lions are winning the Super Bowl this year. If Reiff is a disaster at LT we can just move Fox over and cut our losses and address LT with our first pick next year. That sounds like a better plan than drafting more prospects that may or may not ever contribute. Not when their are sure things available like Arthur Brown, Justin Hunter or Larry Warford.

With our two picks tonight I want sure starters. That's why I hope we don't take any OT's!!!

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I have serious doubts whether either Hilliard or Fox are sufficient NFL starters, Watson has less football experience than Ziggy. Can't imagine he'll be the pick at #2. Warford is a road grader (when's the last time we had one of those?) who will instantly help shore up the middle, as well as help the tackle next to him.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been saying all along that Reiff is the LT and given good reasons for it. THis doesnt surprise me at all. In the 2nd round, I want to see either Margus Hunt to make this D-line practically unbelievable, Hunter to help free up CJ, or the best vovering CB available.

I dont want to see an OT because we are past the top tier tackles. Any player we take in that position now will need a year to develop for sure. They wont improve the line this year. I would rather see p[layers taken in the next two rounds who will improve the team immediately. Get projects with the later rounds.