• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saves vs Saves + Holds

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First we looked at QS vs Wins, then XBH vs HRs, Now lets look at Saves vs Saves + Holds...

This one depends on how many owners are in a league... 12 or less owners and it has to be saves, over 14 owners and it should be saves + holds... And for leagues of 13 or 14 owners, it is a coin toss... But lets just talk about a 12 team league...

In a 12 team league, it should only be saves for one simple reason, with saves+Holds, now too many players become valuable... What is the challenge of having 40 + pitchers fight for 24+ spots...

With that said, there are some formats where saves+ Holds are necessary in leagues of under 15 teams, but in most leagues, having a larger pool only waters down the value of the players in that pool...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Saves + Holds is only for specific leagues or leagues with at least 14 owners.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love having holds as a category. The number of teams in the league seems to me less of an issue than having equal numbers of categories for hitters and pitchers. Personally, I favor R, BA, OBP, HR, RBI, and SB for hitters; ERA, WHIP, K, W, H and S for pitchers.

Never played in a league where slugging percentage was a category, but I would not be averse to replacing OBP with that stat.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love having holds as a category. The number of teams in the league seems to me less of an issue than having equal numbers of categories for hitters and pitchers. Personally, I favor R, BA, OBP, HR, RBI, and SB for hitters; ERA, WHIP, K, W, H and S for pitchers.

Never played in a league where slugging percentage was a category, but I would not be averse to replacing OBP with that stat.

I generally don't like 6X6, or at least have yet to find the perfect 6X6 setting... But the more categories you add, the less important a category becomes...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to argue there Jim. A lot of good points. I like the 8th inning as much as the next guy...but I'd prefer to limit owners to two RP (taking out the 'P' slot) to remove the 3 vs 2 argument. Sure, they can get bit and make your ERA jump, but for the most part middle men are nothing but mulligans (if you will) for your Starter's ERA's.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just wondering, what is your thoughts of having a 2 catcher league or a league that counts MI and CI, or one that you need to start more than 3 OF??

I guess we see categories differently, because it sounds like you want your categories to be all encompassing, while I like categories that test a single aspect of the game... It all balances out with the other categories... For example, if you own a closer who has a bad WHIP and a bad ERA, he will hurt your WHIP and ERA... You don't need to have a category that tests something better... and by increasing the talent pool, you are kind of making the category even more useless because there will now be no need to get the bad ERA and WHIP pitcher...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to argue there Jim. A lot of good points. I like the 8th inning as much as the next guy...but I'd prefer to limit owners to two RP (taking out the 'P' slot) to remove the 3 vs 2 argument. Sure, they can get bit and make your ERA jump, but for the most part middle men are nothing but mulligans (if you will) for your Starter's ERA's.

I don't like limiting owners to anything... whats the fun of a category if when an owner falls behind and can not catch up because they are limited...

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Saves + Holds over Saves only in every single league. Better stat that allows for more active ownership.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in a 12 owner league that I thought demanded Saves + Holds...

it was a 6x6, but that was not why, it was because we had only 2 spots for RP and they HAD to be RP... If you are forced into starting 2 Relief pitchers(no more, no less), then falling behind early is a near impossible climb back up...

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering, what is your thoughts of having a 2 catcher league or a league that counts MI and CI, or one that you need to start more than 3 OF??

Definitely need to start more than 3 outfielders. I've played in so many leagues now that use 4 or 5 outfielders that I feel dirty playing in leagues that only use 3; so much wasted OF talent sitting on waivers.

I also like the MI and CI slots for basically the same reason, too much extra IF talent sitting on your bench or waivers that should be actively used.

As for 2 catcher leagues, they are the devils work :mad2: and I am opposed to them, but they won't stop me from playing in a league that uses that format.
To me, a 2 catcher league is the same as a 2 tight end league for football :nono: