• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sabres off Season Changes

CatScrap

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry to anybody who already saw this thing in ESPN but I was informed this is the better site now and will be chatting here hence forth.

IMO, and I know its not worth much, lol. I think the sabres would do well to go after a star center which we have been lacking for some time now. This is how I see it shaking down.

Trades
Ottawa has expressed interest in parting ways with Spezza. Pick him up. Send T. Connolly, D. Stafford, C. Rivet, and a second round pick to Ottawa in return for Jarkko Ruutu and Spezza. This deal clears a little over a million in cap space for Buffalo and gives Ottawa some solids players in return for what we received.

Free Agent Signings
Sign three players in the off season, L. Stempniak and S. Gonchar and P. Lalime.

If you sign Stempniak to a 6 year deal worth 4.5 million a year you will have him through his prime years and he is only getting better. Another amazing thing is he is a local, born and raised, and the management can play on the local boy aspect to sell some tickets, it would work well for marketing.

If you can lock up Gonchar to a 2 year deal worth 5.5 million a year, You will have secured a solid QB for the powerplay and a proven d-man. Also, by only signing him for 2 years you are assured his contract will be off the books when you have to resign Myers. This will also give the Sabres some time to develop their young D-men to NHL calibre.

Sign lalime to a 2 year 1 million a year contract. This will secure our backstop for the next two seasons, leaving Enroth in the minors to develop and allowing us to resign Enroth in the future for a lower amount than we could if we brought him to the majors now.

With these 3 changes the lines would look something like this
Line LW C RW
1 T. Vanek J. Spezza J. Pominville
2 J. Hecht D. Roy L. Stempniak
3 N. Gerbe P. Gaustad T. Ennis
4 J. Ruutu M. Grier P. Kaleta

D1 D2
T. Myers S. Gonchar
S. Montador A. Sekera
M. Gragnani C. Butler

Goalies
R. Miller
P. Lalime

I think this would create a markable difference in the team. It solves the two biggest problems I see with the team. We have great wingers and a fantastic goalie with solid D-fence, however we lack a star Center and instead have 2 second line centers in Roy and Connolly. Spezza Fixes this, and we lack a solid d-man to QB our powerplay unit, Gonchar Fixes that.
What you guys think?

postmaster

RIP Steve
Hoopla Cash
$ 250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome aboard.
That would be great for the Sabres. The only thing I would cautious about would be Gonchar. His defense is not very good but having a great goalie behind him might make up for some of that. It would definitely boost the powerplay. A change in scenery would obviously be good for Spezza right now. Those moves would make Buffalo very formidable indeed. I have no idea on the cap situation but I am sure you have checked that out to make sure it works.

CatScrap

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cap is ok,
This scenario gives the sabres .750 Million space before hitting the cap, and thats with all the bonus cushion in place as well.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome aboard ! I like the suggestions you make for the Sabres and hope Darcy and Mr G are listening.

Again welcome aboard and im sure you will be happy here. No BS trolling crap and it's hockey heaven. We have a great bunch of posters.

CatScrap

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks, Still shake my head about losing Tom....Sigh

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome aboard.
That would be great for the Sabres. The only thing I would cautious about would be Gonchar. His defense is not very good but having a great goalie behind him might make up for some of that. It would definitely boost the powerplay. A change in scenery would obviously be good for Spezza right now. Those moves would make Buffalo very formidable indeed. I have no idea on the cap situation but I am sure you have checked that out to make sure it works.

I agree Gonchar is a liability on defense but teaming him with Myers would be awesome on the power play.

I got laughed at on the other site for say Myers would be ROY and a future Norris winner but this kid is the real deal.