• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban says fans leaving early hurts recruiting

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont buy it. It would be nice if fans stayed til the end of the game. I will be honest. I rarely stay when Oregon is up 40 going into the 4th. Why stay?

I definitely am not staying when Oregon is playing Nicholls. Not a second past halftime actually.

Oregon blew out Tennessee, but its Tennessee, so there is a reason to stay.

Alabama has these teams as home games.

Colorado State

Ole Miss
Georgia State
Arkansas
Tennessee
LSU
Chattanooga Nov 23rd

If I am a season ticket holder, this would tick me off. Would you stay or even go to these games? Especially when there are great games on tv at home. That is where I am at with Oregon games that are cupcakes.... Why go???

Conference games, great, dont care how bad they are. Its in conference. As a fan, when it comes to October and November, I want to be attending those conference games. Thats just me. No this isnt a knock on your schedule, rather a debate on Nick's comments on fans attending and staying for games.

Tom Fornelli cBS

When you've won three of the last four national championships, including the last two, and your team is currently 7-0 and winning its games by an average of 31 points per game, it's difficult to find things to get upset about. But don't worry, Nick Saban's found something.

"I've talked about players playing for 60 minutes in the game and competing for 60 minutes in the game," Saban said. "And, in some kind of way, everybody that choses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game.

"Maybe if you're not interested in doing that, you should let someone else go who would really like to go because I have a lot of people who want to go,"

One of the reasons Saban is so concerned about what the stands look like in the fourth quarter is the possible impact it has on visiting recruits.

"We have lots of recruits there, we like to see an enthusiastic full stadium," Saban said. "We have a beautiful stadium and one of the nicest venues in all of college football and I think we all should show our appreciation for it by staying and supporting our team for the whole game."

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure he's entitled to his opinion. :noidea:

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guilty of leaving LSU games early when it's a blowout only when there is no post game tailgating. Baton Rouge traffic is the worse after a game.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since some of the bars I want to go to post game are completely full by the end of the game, it would be more wrong for me to not leave early to get a spot during a blowout.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's entertainment.
When it stops being entertainment, people leave.
If Nick wants people to stay longer, be more entertaining.

It's simple really.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't think he is talking about Colo St and Georgia State, those aren't games you bring recruits to, I would think he is talking about Ole Miss and Arkansas. Obviously, empty seats looks bad. Should the fans stay to impress recruits? Of course. Are they going to when it is another blowout? Probably not.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's entertainment.
When it stops being entertainment, people leave.
If Nick wants people to stay longer, be more entertaining.

It's simple really.

Saban is pretty entertaining on the sidelines from start to finish whether it's a blowout or not. He crazy.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure he's entitled to his opinion. :noidea:

Sure he is. And if I were a HC I would be saying the same thing. Every coach that has coached teams that regularly curb stomp teams face this issue. Fan complacency sets in.

Like I said, I am guilty of it. I am at the tailgater before 2nd half kickoff some games and I dont come back.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't think he is talking about Colo St and Georgia State, those aren't games you bring recruits to, I would think he is talking about Ole Miss and Arkansas. Obviously, empty seats looks bad. Should the fans stay to impress recruits? Of course. Are they going to when it is another blowout? Probably not.

If I remember right they had one heck of a group come in for Colorado State

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why has Saban been crying a lot lately? Crying about up tempo offenses he can't stop and now crying about the fans not staying the whole game. Nick, you own all of CFB, have turned the SEC into a one team conference are a god in Tuscaloosa. Stop crying!

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why has Saban been crying a lot lately? Crying about up tempo offenses he can't stop and now crying about the fans not staying the whole game. Nick, you own all of CFB, have turned the SEC into a one team conference are a god in Tuscaloosa. Stop crying!

Why are so many people crying about what Saban's been crying about?

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah if it's not a close game (which no home games this year have been), I'm leaving after Jump Around.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stay during a blowout and watch backups, get zero phone service, miss the good games going on, and not be able to drink...

Or simply leave a bit early to avoid the rush and get where I need to go.. Pretty easy answer.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure he is. And if I were a HC I would be saying the same thing. Every coach that has coached teams that regularly curb stomp teams face this issue. Fan complacency sets in.

Like I said, I am guilty of it. I am at the tailgater before 2nd half kickoff some games and I dont come back.

I think they should start giving out free beer after they get up by 21 or more. :nod:

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban is pretty entertaining on the sidelines from start to finish whether it's a blowout or not. He crazy.

Not quite as good as Muschamp and I always watch the end of LSU games just to see how Les is going to troll the LSU fanbase next...

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite as good as Muschamp and I always watch the end of LSU games just to see how Les is going to troll the LSU fanbase next...

This is true. I keep waiting on Muschump's head to explode.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate seeing fans leave early. There is plenty to see in the 4th quarter of a blowout, including the backups who will be the starters in another year or two. I like to see them. Of course, I'm a sports columnist who needs to see this. Still, before I got that gig I always stayed anyway so I could evaluate the future talent. It's fundamental to a true fan, IMO.
Also, you may see a record broken by a player who has an amazing 2nd half. Wouldn't it suck to leave at halftime of a game when your RB racked up 200 yards after you left? You'd lie and say "I was there" when in fact you missed out on seeing history made.
Likewise with comebacks, I've seen people leave when we were trailing by 17-20 going into the 4th. Aren't you going to feel like shit when your team scores 3 TDs and wins in the final minute?
Why the fuck bother planning your tailgate, getting there 4 hours early, getting your buzz on and then not staying for the actual event? Just have a party at home and watch it on TV.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate seeing fans leave early. There is plenty to see in the 4th quarter of a blowout, including the backups who will be the starters in another year or two. I like to see them. Of course, I'm a sports columnist who needs to see this. Still, before I got that gig I always stayed anyway so I could evaluate the future talent. It's fundamental to a true fan, IMO.
Also, you may see a record broken by a player who has an amazing 2nd half. Wouldn't it suck to leave at halftime of a game when your RB racked up 200 yards after you left? You'd lie and say "I was there" when in fact you missed out on seeing history made.
Likewise with comebacks, I've seen people leave when we were trailing by 17-20 going into the 4th. Aren't you going to feel like shit when your team scores 3 TDs and wins in the final minute?
Why the fuck bother planning your tailgate, getting there 4 hours early, getting your buzz on and then not staying for the actual event? Just have a party at home and watch it on TV.

lol @ Heat fans!