• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Run Game

Should Skins make a play for AP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's talk about something that is really holding this team back. Our run game and specifically the RB position. Don't get me wrong, I really like Fat Rob, Perine, Mack etc but, each of these guys each lack some intangibles required to be really good right now. For Kelley I believe his lack of experience, vision and explosiveness is holding him back. Perine is just too green and not ready to shoulder the load likely being a short yardage back in the future. Brown for some reason just hasn't gotten an opportunity with the 1's and may never in Gruden's eyes. Then there is Thompson who by all accounts is our current MVP but as we all know, he is not a bell cow type RB. His role is best served on 3rd down with carries sprinkled in throughout the game. His current role suites me fine.

Where does that leave us this year? A year in which I'm sure many think we have a chance now to win the division and or a playoff spot. All the talk about the Raiders being one of the best teams in the league yet we handled them. With Carr hurt that changes but hey, we defeated Carr's Raiders. The Chiefs are the lone undefeated and while we lost the game, we also could have won that game and in my opinion, did not play our best game. Yes, I believe we could have been better and the injuries were insurmountable.

Let me first say this, I'm not drinking any Kool-Aid or being a homer here and just calling it like I see it. This current Redskin team is as good as its been since the 2012 team and I believe the current defense is better than that team. Having said that, if the current team had a legit #1 RB, how much more improved would this team be right now? When you have goal line plays where the RB either lacks experience or vision to follow a design block while basically trotting into the end zone then we have a problem. I for one will admit our RB core is somewhat weak right now even though I like their spirit. Spirit doesn't win football games and successful running games are not built on spirit. Successful run games have very good offensive lines (we have) and very talented RB's which we currently lack. Our guys are good, but not good enough yet.

With a bye week approaching, she would make a play for Peterson? The need is obviously there and we may just be able to pry him away from NO. I'm all in for this year as I see the team having a legit shot at the playoffs and making a strong push towards another NFC Championship Game if the team keeps trending in its current direction. Make Peterson the bell cow and Kelley the reliever for this year. This would definitely keep defenses honest and open up things in our passing game. Peterson has to be respected when he is on the field. I don't believe we have anyone in our backfield right now that is talented enough to warrant the respect the run game should deserve from opposing defenses.

Fire Away!!!
HTTR!

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need more depth added to our O line then at the RB position. Peterson is washed up.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's talk about something that is really holding this team back. Our run game and specifically the RB position. Don't get me wrong, I really like Fat Rob, Perine, Mack etc but, each of these guys each lack some intangibles required to be really good right now. For Kelley I believe his lack of experience, vision and explosiveness is holding him back. Perine is just too green and not ready to shoulder the load likely being a short yardage back in the future. Brown for some reason just hasn't gotten an opportunity with the 1's and may never in Gruden's eyes. Then there is Thompson who by all accounts is our current MVP but as we all know, he is not a bell cow type RB. His role is best served on 3rd down with carries sprinkled in throughout the game. His current role suites me fine.

Where does that leave us this year? A year in which I'm sure many think we have a chance now to win the division and or a playoff spot. All the talk about the Raiders being one of the best teams in the league yet we handled them. With Carr hurt that changes but hey, we defeated Carr's Raiders. The Chiefs are the lone undefeated and while we lost the game, we also could have won that game and in my opinion, did not play our best game. Yes, I believe we could have been better and the injuries were insurmountable.

Let me first say this, I'm not drinking any Kool-Aid or being a homer here and just calling it like I see it. This current Redskin team is as good as its been since the 2012 team and I believe the current defense is better than that team. Having said that, if the current team had a legit #1 RB, how much more improved would this team be right now? When you have goal line plays where the RB either lacks experience or vision to follow a design block while basically trotting into the end zone then we have a problem. I for one will admit our RB core is somewhat weak right now even though I like their spirit. Spirit doesn't win football games and successful running games are not built on spirit. Successful run games have very good offensive lines (we have) and very talented RB's which we currently lack. Our guys are good, but not good enough yet.

With a bye week approaching, she would make a play for Peterson? The need is obviously there and we may just be able to pry him away from NO. I'm all in for this year as I see the team having a legit shot at the playoffs and making a strong push towards another NFC Championship Game if the team keeps trending in its current direction. Make Peterson the bell cow and Kelley the reliever for this year. This would definitely keep defenses honest and open up things in our passing game. Peterson has to be respected when he is on the field. I don't believe we have anyone in our backfield right now that is talented enough to warrant the respect the run game should deserve from opposing defenses.

Fire Away!!!
HTTR!

Kelley is not the problem. He just cant stay healthy. CT will give us a few runs but he cant close games out. The problem here is Perine. The guy hasn't stepped up at all. For our un game to be successful Kelley has to stay healthy b/c Perine has shown me nothing personally. The only reason why he is playing is b/c of his draft status. Mack Brown is actually the better runner with his quickness. I not saying give up on Perine but he has to step it up immediately.

With that said I am for trading for AP. The Saints don't even use him at the goaline. Why bother signing him if he is not your goaline back? I have no clue what Payton is doing. Both teams are on byes this week. Hopefully there are talks. I would give as much as a 4th rounder for him b/c he can change this team dramatically.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4th for an oft injured RB that can't find the field in NO who is well beyond his prime coming to another offense he just doesn't fit?

Well done GM Dean...well done.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4th for an oft injured RB that can't find the field in NO who is well beyond his prime coming to another offense he just doesn't fit?

Well done GM Dean...well done.

Of course. he can change this team, he has the talent to do so. NO doesn't use him. We need another banger. AP fits the bill.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course. he can change this team, he has the talent to do so. NO doesn't use him. We need another banger. AP fits the bill.

OK. Got it. NO doesn't use him because they can't afford to be better. I gotcha. It has nothing to do with him not fitting the scheme or dare I say he is a shell of his former self.

Yes. He fits this scheme so much better. He will single handedly carry this team to the SB while giving BA a blow job.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. Got it. NO doesn't use him because they can't afford to be better. I gotcha. It has nothing to do with him not fitting the scheme or dare I say he is a shell of his former self.

Yes. He fits this scheme so much better. He will single handedly carry this team to the SB while giving BA a blow job.

lol. Why would NO sign him in FA? the guy still puts fear in opposing defenses. He still can take it to the house on a run.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might as well trade up in the 1st to get Saquon Barkley in next year's draft. That's about the same chance you're taking if you trade for AP. Unfortunately, AP is not the AP from 2015.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Why would NO sign him in FA? the guy still puts fear in opposing defenses. He still can take it to the house on a run.

Because they were hoping he was still AP?

Does he put fear in opposing defenses? Why? Can he still take it to the house?

Last year...1.9 YPC which is 1.5 yards less than the other two main backs. This year 3 YPC while Ingram is 4 and Kamari is 5.5. He last took it to the house in 2015.

I mean...yes you are right Dean. I mean you are Dean and you are always right Dean. The offensive lines choose to block more poorly for AP because he is obviously better than than everybody else.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they were hoping he was still AP?

Does he put fear in opposing defenses? Why? Can he still take it to the house?

Last year...1.9 YPC which is 1.5 yards less than the other two main backs. This year 3 YPC while Ingram is 4 and Kamari is 5.5. He last took it to the house in 2015.

I mean...yes you are right Dean. I mean you are Dean and you are always right Dean. The offensive lines choose to block more poorly for AP because he is obviously better than than everybody else.

Wait a minute... How can you expect AP to succeed in NO when he never plays? Im not saying he is in his prime but he is better than what we have now. Last year he was hurt. Young guys get hurt too. Look at Kelley. AP would bring a spark to this offense. I don't even know if he is available for a trade.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you for real? I suppose that anything is possible, but this one is a reach. Trust me - if this were the AP from 2015 he would be starting rt now for NO & logging the majority of the carries. The All Pro AP doesn't back up Ingram.

This is an era where most RBs fizzle out in their mid-late 20s. A 32 yr old RB coming off numerous injuries & learning a new system is a big risk at best. I also believe that this is the kind of guy who is going to be a locker room distraction if things don't go his way.

Again older RBs don't usually do that well & the Redskins had miserable success in that area in the past. Look at Lynch now - everyone was hyping up that guy & he has pretty much slowed to a crawl recently. I suppose that the Redskins could consider AP but I would not give it much thought (beyond the fact that NO may not want to unload him anyhow).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute... How can you expect AP to succeed in NO when he never plays? Im not saying he is in his prime but he is better than what we have now. Last year he was hurt. Young guys get hurt too. Look at Kelley. AP would bring a spark to this offense. I don't even know if he is available for a trade.

Excuse me but the coaches do get to see him practice all of the time. If he was close to being the old AP trust me he would be logging lots of carries. I guess that you now think that you are a better coach then Payton as well as Gruden. LOL.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse me but the coaches do get to see him practice all of the time. If he was close to being the old AP trust me he would be logging lots of carries. I guess that you now think that you are a better coach then Payton as well as Gruden. LOL.

If you are not going to put AP in when you are near the goal line why did you sign him in the first place? that is an embarrassment. AP should be yelling at Peyton.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did he spark Minnesota's offense last season? He averaged 1.9 YPC. His backups did far better.

He has no spark.

Wait...I already said you were right. You are Dean...you must be.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are not going to put AP in when you are near the goal line why did you sign him in the first place? that is an embarrassment. AP should be yelling at Peyton.

He already did in their first game. Are you seriously questioning one of the best offensive minds in the NFL?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he spark Minnesota's offense last season? He averaged 1.9 YPC. His backups did far better.

He has no spark.

Wait...I already said you were right. You are Dean...you must be.

He played 3 games last year. lol

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already did in their first game. Are you seriously questioning one of the best offensive minds in the NFL?

I know he yelled at him. yes, taking Peterson out of the game inside the 5 then throwing the ball should be questioned no matter who the coach is. NO didnt sign AP top be a receiver out of the backfield. So his role shoud be short yardage goal line.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played 3 games last year. lol

Yes he did. He was the bell cow in those games. He averaged 1.9 YPC in those games.

He is 32 and has a ton of tread on those legs. If you can't see the evidence he has lost a step, that is on you. A fourth for him would be as dumb as breaking your TV over a game.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as why did NO sign AP. Well - why did the Redskins sign Fat Al? Why did the Jets sign Farve? Why did the Eagles sign Nnamdi Asomugha & a slew of other FAs? It was all about hope & perhaps viewing a player based on his reputation & not his current self.

Perhaps the Saints viewed AP differently once they had a bigger sample of his playing. Time will tell.