• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rule clarification

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitting Kaepernick is not going to change the outcome of the game. What killed them was playing man to man and turning their backs on the Qb in coverage, not that they didn't hit Kaepernick. What they need to do is play zone and keep the QB in their view if they want to improve their defense.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes RVNight18, I heard the same thing(i think denver gm?) that since Suggs got away with some pushes on Kaep, the defense is suppose to not hit the QB if the ball is not in their hands...

idk if i agree with it, I didn't necessarily think it was a major contribution to the attack on our O in all honesty. There wasn't cheap shots, like trying to knock him out but just roughing up touches...

hard to call that for me... anything to piss me and the defenses of the NFL off i guess lol

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
From the preseason game against the Vikings they had one of the guys from the league office who's in charge of that stuff on and it basically boils down to the posture the QB takes.

If the QB takes a posture that could indicate he could run, do the read option, hand the ball off, etc he isn't afforded the special QB protections. If he takes a passing posture he is afforded the typical QB protections.

The thing is even the QB is still afforded unnecessary roughness protection so it's not like a defender can roll up and blast the QB any time they feel like.

And that's the thing is even if defense hit the QB they aren't getting in any devastating hits or harmful on them. They showed Suggs going after Kaepernick in the SB and most of those "hits" were shoves and pushes not a punishing hit that put the QB to the ground.

So unless you're getting in big punishing hits that are forcing the QB to scrape himself off the ground these little pushes that barely knock the QB off balance isn't going to do anything to deter the read option.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yea I am not saying that it cost us any games or that it would. Just hearing two different sides and want to know what is what. If I am yelling at the TV during a game, I don't want to be wrong :)

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Redskins use officiating visit to get option-play clarifications

I couldn't find the exact explanation but this is something similar to what we all heard. If the QB presents the read option but hands off he could still be hit. But if he back pedals or shows definitively he is out of the play, I do believe he cannot be hit.

The Ravens goal wasn't to stop the read option, there whole goal was to just keep hitting Kap no matter what the play was. They always had a edge player who's sole goal was to hit Kap.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the preseason game against the Vikings they had one of the guys from the league office who's in charge of that stuff on and it basically boils down to the posture the QB takes.

If the QB takes a posture that could indicate he could run, do the read option, hand the ball off, etc he isn't afforded the special QB protections. If he takes a passing posture he is afforded the typical QB protections.

The thing is even the QB is still afforded unnecessary roughness protection so it's not like a defender can roll up and blast the QB any time they feel like.

And that's the thing is even if defense hit the QB they aren't getting in any devastating hits or harmful on them. They showed Suggs going after Kaepernick in the SB and most of those "hits" were shoves and pushes not a punishing hit that put the QB to the ground.

So unless you're getting in big punishing hits that are forcing the QB to scrape himself off the ground these little pushes that barely knock the QB off balance isn't going to do anything to deter the read option.

ya suggs didn't do anything. small shoves to just say hi.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol I heard on the Dan Patrick radio show this morning and he was talking to Clay Matthews.

They talked a bit about week 1 and the niners, but Dan also brought up how he didn't think the packers would do anything this year. Said again there defense scared him and they just couldn't match the offense. Clay was pissed(which is what you expect) but its true I don't see there D being nearly as good as last yr. You could tell Clay wanted to kill Patrick which if you listen to his show is understandable. It was quite funny tho.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB so focused on stopping Kaep's running game that I would be HIGHLY disappointed in our coaching staff if they don't take advantage of this and light them up through the air. I don't expect to see much zone read at all against GB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GB so focused on stopping Kaep's running game that I would be HIGHLY disappointed in our coaching staff if they don't take advantage of this and light them up through the air. I don't expect to see much zone read at all against GB.

Hmm... mind games. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

they'll only get focused when the 49ers line up in the Pistol, so you're saying pass out of the pistol formation. i'm fine with this and the 49ers will just have to balance run/pass pending game conditions.

for NON-Pistol formations, yeah they'll have to be aware of Kaep's scrambling? so this SHOULD help pass protection cause most times they'll think contain.