• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round 4 (123): Montae Nicholson

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah he kind of sucks, hopefully he does well though

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft Analysis:
Nicholson is coming off of shoulder surgery but he says he should be ready by camp. Washington's defense needs depth in it's backend (and everywhere else on defense) and Nicholson will have a chance to earn a role in their subpackage groups. --Mark Dulgerian

• 6'2" Height
  • 33 3/8" Arm Length
  • 212LBS. Weight
  • 9 1/2" Hands
Overview
The Spartans' poor 2016 season caused Nicholson's play to be overshadowed by Ohio State and Michigan defensive backs. NFL scouts know, however, that Nicholson's athleticism and aggression make him a potential starter. He was an all-state football player and three-time track champion as a high school senior in Pennsylvania, then stepped into the starting lineup as a true freshman (three starts, 31 tackles). Nicholson tied for the team lead with three picks in 2015, making 83 stops, 2.5 for loss and helping MSU make the college football playoffs. He also participated on the track squad, placing sixth in the Big Ten Indoor meet in the long jump. As a junior, he made 86 tackles, two for loss, and intercepted one pass.

Analysis
Strengths
Height, weight and speed box checks across the board. Has a feel for route combinations and shades his coverage accordingly. Shows a willingness to trigger into anticipated passing lanes once he recognizes where pattern is headed. Long strider with some range over the top. Michigan State coaches expect him to test well in explosion drills. Takes few false steps and looks more comfortable in a Cover-2 shell.
Weaknesses
Field toughness does not match his size. Ducks head into tackles and doesn't consistently square up his targets causing excessive missed tackles. Rarely imposes his will as a hitter. Leggy in coverage. Takes time to get hips and feet synced up when asked to mirror route breaks. Has had self-described confidence issues. Looks unsure of his responsibilities at times and will lose track of deep coverage. Just eight passes defensed over last two seasons which is a meager sum.
Draft Projection
PFA
Sources Tell Us
"Big and beautiful with no impact on the game whatsoever. He just doesn't have the aggressiveness you need to play this game on this level." -- AFC national scout
Bottom Line
Nicholson has outstanding size and could test well at the combine and his pro day, but his tape is blah and no amount of workouts in shorts and t-shirts will change that. Nicholson's lack of playmaking production combined with his unsure tackling make him a traits-only prospect who could have a hard time sticking in the league unless he finds more confidence and aggression. -Lance Zierlein

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of a head scratcher pick tbh.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so he played last season with a injured shoulder and had to have labrum surgery

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBS gave him a 7th round draft grade and has him as a SS. How do you not take Peterman here? He is insurance if KC leaves next year. Another SS does not make sense for this team. The only ball hawking FS we have is Hall. that is scary.

Because Peterman sucks! Watch any Tennessee tape you can find of him. He was an awful QB. Great kid but the talent is just not there. Any SEC fan will tell you that Peterman would be a wasted pick. He was a disaster at Tennessee. If he can't compete with SEC defenses, how will he compete in the NFL?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the first pick I am not really understanding. If there was a better FS on the board I am not sure why they didn't go for them. I honestly believe this team feels that D.Hall has something left in the tank and that is frightening. Hall is a walking injury who has lost a step and makes 4 million a year.

I still think we need to look at WR and ILB.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, hope he proves em wrong

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there are still good players on the board so I think we will have a good 5th and 6th round.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Peterman sucks! Watch any Tennessee tape you can find of him. He was an awful QB. Great kid but the talent is just not there. Any SEC fan will tell you that Peterman would be a wasted pick. He was a disaster at Tennessee. If he can't compete with SEC defenses, how will he compete in the NFL?

He did well at Pitt and he beat Clemson. You would rather have this guy then Peterman? I don't get that at all. If KC leaves next year we are really screwed.

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully it was the shoulder injury that hampered his play and now with surgery he will be a beast for us

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully it was the shoulder injury that hampered his play and now with surgery he will be a beast for us

At best he is the 4th safety special teamer. You have to figure Cravens, Swearinger, hall, and this guy.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope I'm wrong but this pick just screams reaching for need over BPA

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am never in favor of drafting a QB beyond the 3rd round. BTW: we already have a project QB on the roster. Unless this team is already willing to admit that Nate Sudfield was a wasted pick, it makes no sense to go after another project QB. Even if they are willing to take another project, that project has to have more immediate upside than either Sudfield or Peterman has. I want our project guys to have the skillset that requires a year, at most two before they are pushing for playing time.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am never in favor of drafting a QB beyond the 3rd round. BTW: we already have a project QB on the roster. Unless this team is already willing to admit that Nate Sudfield was a wasted pick, it makes no sense to go after another project QB. Even if they are willing to take another project, that project has to have more immediate upside than either Sudfield or Peterman has. I want our project guys to have the skillset that requires a year, at most two before they are pushing for playing time.

Peterman is not a project. If KC leaves next year. We will be in need of QB. I guess they feel Sudfield is just as good as or better than Peterman. I don't get that at all. Unless the skins already decided to give KC the blank check and all this is moot.