• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster thoughts from the Broncos/Ravens game

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julius Thomas will be scooped up, obviously - but I suspect he just had his season-high.

Now there are FOUR serious receiving threats for Denver, though, which I think will water down the effect of Welker and Decker. Peyton won't be throwing seven TDs very often. More like two-to-four, and Julius will eat at the edges of everyone's production except maybe Demaryius (who could actually benefit from all the coverage nightmares in the short game).

In a PPR league you might be able to get the moon for Welker this week - now could be the time to move him, because as good as he is, he's not actually worth the moon.

We saw Ball's running potential, and also how far away he is from being a reliable cog in the Manning machinery. He failed to get a first down with three straight attempts, but part of that is just learning the rushing plays. In a tough game where they need to run out the clock, I bet they go to Ball. But that will probably be the first role they want him to learn, just working on handoffs and vision and timing and the rushing playbook, so it should be a while before he gets much time during the ordinary flow of the game unless for some reason they feel the need to establish the run game (unlikely). Moreno is obviously the guy they rely on overall, although Hillman acquitted himself well and has improved over last year. I expect a similar split, with similar results, for at least half the season, and then Ball may get more chances.

The guy who comes out of all this looking great is Peyton Manning. Hillman has improved, he has a new playmaker in Julius, to go along with his other new playmaker Welker who he really connected with, the whole O seems synched (and no D in the NFL can deal with all those guys), and he himself looks stronger and faster than he did last year. He's not going to throw 112 TDs this season - but he might throw half that (TKO's 50-TD prediction is looking solid).

For the Ravens, not much to say except that Marlon Brown looks like he'll deserve a fantasy roster spot and start/sit consideration - especially if Jacoby is out for a while and he can establish himself as the clear #2. And maybe the Ravens D can be picked up off waivers this week, and probably should be (they ain't THAT bad). And if anyone's down on Rice because of the limited touches this week, make them an offer.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Ravens, not much to say except that Marlon Brown looks like he'll deserve a fantasy roster spot and start/sit consideration - especially if Jacoby is out for a while and he can establish himself as the clear #2. And maybe the Ravens D can be picked up off waivers this week, and probably should be (they ain't THAT bad). And if anyone's down on Rice because of the limited touches this week, make them an offer.

One thing I noticed about Brown though, is that he seems to favor catching the ball with his body and not his hands, something that steers me away from potential talent, but there's no denying his opportunity... which by the way, was one of the funniest things I've seen on a football field (not sure of the rookie who ran Jacoby over)..but that is butt fumble funny!

As for the Ravens, like I've already said, I'm not worried, this will happen to Broncos opponents all year... way too many people to cover, and the best "reader" throwing the ball.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure does look like Decker will be the odd man out this year, but I think most people thought he would be the low man on the WR totem pole. But his dropped chances will not be forgotten quickly, especially since he already seems to be the 4th guy in line. He may not be worth starting when there are high potential guys like Golden Tate, TY Hilton, etc on people's benches

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure does look like Decker will be the odd man out this year, but I think most people thought he would be the low man on the WR totem pole. But his dropped chances will not be forgotten quickly, especially since he already seems to be the 4th guy in line. He may not be worth starting when there are high potential guys like Golden Tate, TY Hilton, etc on people's benches

Well I thought he would be low man on the list too but after last nights forgetable performance I would bet money Peyton gets him involved and a score next week. Not every week will be like this (duh) and they will still need Decker to do his share. Had Decker not dropped that TD his line would have looked a lot like Welkers.....

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been reading some of your thoughts on Julius Thomas. Remember week 1 last season w/ Ogletree's monster game? Remember week 1 a couple years ago and Frisman Jackson's monster game? For now I'm putting JT in that group - a one week wonder. Too many mouths to feed in Denver and like someone said, Manning isn't throwing 7 TD's each week.

I wonder how long before the Ravens D/ST gets dropped? Sure, Manning made them look bad, but they didn't do themselves any favors. Maybe losing 8 starters was too much? Maybe I just have sour grapes since I own Matt Prater in a few leagues. Would've been nice if the Ravens made the Broncos kick a few FG!

Hillman was impressive. But with the aforementioned in mind, I wonder how much was "Man(ning) on Fire" and how much was Ravens underwhelming? All the Broncos were stars yesterday but you can't expect that kind of production each week?

Also made me think of some other games this weekend?

Will the Brady and the Pats want to put the same kind of exclamation point (that Manning did) at the expense of the Bills? Will the new Andy Reid-led Chiefs be too much for the lowly Jags? Will the Buccaneers D/ST be the second-hottest waiver wire pickup once they humiliate the Jets? Will the Colts rack up 40+ against the Raiders?

Hmmm....

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Decker will be just fine. Now is a great time to make a buy low offer to owners who are panicking over his usage. Peyton Manning, like Brees and Brady will take advantage of what the defense gives him. In the first half, single coverage on J. Thomas and Welker allowed Manning to exploit those favorable match-ups.

After the Ravens moved Webb onto Welker, D. Thomas started to go off. Decker will certainly have his day in the sun and the others will have down games from time to time (even Demaryius). Also, don't be surprised if the running backs put up some big fantasy numbers in the near future as defenses try to slow down Manning and all of his weapons.

This could end up being one of the best offensive teams of all time.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't like what I saw in Decker. I think he just went from #3 to #4 in line in this offense. People were already very tentative of him because of what Welker is going to do to his production, and I think those concerns are now legitimately validated if they hadn't been before. On ESPN, he was ranked as the #20 receiver, which was way too high already. Based on his ADP, this guy was a huge mistake imo.