• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Cuts

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We really need a 3rd TE and a 3rd QB, badly. I think the front office just wasn't happy with what we got there, so they kept dudes at other positions.
I expect us to cut two more guys eventually and get a 3rd TE and 3rd QB.
We don't need 6 safeties.

Cox is probably going to be convicted of r*pe.

Meriweather could be looked at but who would you cut, Madieu Williams?

But again, what we really need is a QB and TE.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really need a 3rd TE and a 3rd QB, badly. I think the front office just wasn't happy with what we got there, so they kept dudes at other positions.

Is this a serious question? YES williams, if I had to but we don't even have to. How about Spillman or Kristick?

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not my research but I believe he's viewed as a serviceable nickel back....

Hanson allowed 4.4 yards per attempt last season, second among corners with 40+ targets, and 1.5 yards after the catch-first among CB’s.(credit Football Outsiders).

Thanks for the info. :thumb:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not 49ers related but I want to give a big shout out to Larry Dean making the Vikings final roster today.

He played for the Tift Co Blue Devils down in south Georgia were I'm from, and then played for the barely known Division II Valdosta St Blazers. He made the team as a linebacker after going undrafted in April.

SeattleNinersFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers players who got cut.....CB Phillip Adams, C Chase Beeler, QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson, DT Brian Bulcke, FB Jack Corcoran, CB Phillip Davis, OT Derek Hall, WR Joe Hastings, WR Chris Hogan, WR Ronald Johnson, LB Alex Joseph, TE Nate Lawrie, WR Lance Long, S Chris Maragos, QB Josh McCown, CB Cory Nelms, RB Xavier Omon, TE Konrad Reuland, LB Kenny Rowe, NT Sealver Siliga, LB Monte Simmons, FS Curtis Taylor, DB Anthony West, OT Kenny Wiggins, G Tony Wragge, WR Dominique Zeigler

Wow, we cut Josh McCown as well.... are we going with 2 QBs?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago Bears release Chester Taylor, Marcus Harrison - ESPN Chicago

The Bears' moves to cut down to their 53-man roster Saturday included the release of veterans Marcus Harrison, Desmond Clark and Chester Taylor.

The team's release of Taylor, meanwhile, doesn't come as much of a surprise, given the bizarre week he experienced.

An NFL source said Monday that Bears coach Lovie Smith told Taylor he was no longer in the team's plans because of the strong play of free-agent acquisition Marion Barber.

Upon hearing the news, Taylor -- who just last season had signed a four-year, $12.5 million deal, with $7 million guaranteed -- immediately left Halas Hall, but later was contacted by the team to rejoin the Bears for practice that afternoon.

Taylor returned, and Bears general manager Jerry Angelo gave the running back the rest of the day off.

Taylor came back to the practice field Tuesday, and explained the bizarre situation came as a result of "miscommunication."

Taylor then played in the team's preseason finale Thursday night against the Cleveland Browns, finishing with 10 carries for 27 yards. Going into that game, he had logged just six attempts; the team's other running backs each had run the ball at least 20 times.

For those interested in Taylor, guess we'll know soon enough if Baalke likes him.

jaypok626

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I missed this story. What happened?

He supposedly drugged and raped a woman while she was passed out. The r*pe also resulted in the woman becoming pregnant, and DNA extracted from the fetus showed Cox as the father. That's the problem with Cox; too much thinking with his Cox and not enough with his head.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldn't be shocked if we stuck with two if no one worthy rolls up.

You're right, that absolutely could happen, but after watching pre-season I'm hoping that it doesn't.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Reports that Everette Brown was released by Carolina. . .

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd cut Spillman, Jones or Williams for Meriweather in a heartbeat.

back to back pro bowls vs depth at best

easy choice for me.

but he already signed with the bears.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pat Devlin - CUT

we should pick him up.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd cut Spillman, Jones or Williams for Meriweather in a heartbeat.

back to back pro bowls vs depth at best

easy choice for me.

but he already signed with the bears.

I feel Meriweather is quite overrated. A lot of Pats fans felt his first Pro Bowl was undeserved and he got there because of the team he was on. And how good was that Pats pass defense last year? It was historically bad. They gave up 4136 yards through the air. Around week 12 they were on pace to set the record for passing yards allowed in a season.

That's more than the 1999 Niners gave up, though not quite as much as we gave up in 2005.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We'll likely roll with 2 QBs this season unless one gets hurt.

Jim's brother John did it last year with the Ravens so it's not something unusual for a Harbaugh to do.

Also the odds of two QBs getting hurt in a game is low and that happening and winning that game would be even lower.

So my guess the thinking is ride with Smith and CK for the season and if Smith gets hurt in a game CK would finish it out and after the game they would see if Smith is out for the next week and beyond and if he is they would cut someone and bring in another QB.

I think it's sound reasoning because I would much rather keep a guy that has a chance of contributing than keeping a 3rd string journeymen vet that has no real chance of ever contributing to the team and is there for worst case scenario insurance.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We'll likely roll with 2 QBs this season unless one gets hurt.

Jim's brother John did it last year with the Ravens so it's not something unusual for a Harbaugh to do.

Also the odds of two QBs getting hurt in a game is low and that happening and winning that game would be even lower.

So my guess the thinking is ride with Smith and CK for the season and if Smith gets hurt in a game CK would finish it out and after the game they would see if Smith is out for the next week and beyond and if he is they would cut someone and bring in another QB.

I think it's sound reasoning because I would much rather keep a guy that has a chance of contributing than keeping a 3rd string journeymen vet that has no real chance of ever contributing to the team and is there for worst case scenario insurance.

I've always been a believer in the 2 QB system. Especially having adding Bethel-Thompson to the PS. It isn't as if there's a QB out there that would keep us in any sort of division race if we were to lose Smith anyway. Not that Smith will, but his success this year will determine the team's.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel Meriweather is quite overrated. A lot of Pats fans felt his first Pro Bowl was undeserved and he got there because of the team he was on. And how good was that Pats pass defense last year? It was historically bad. They gave up 4136 yards through the air. Around week 12 they were on pace to set the record for passing yards allowed in a season.

That's more than the 1999 Niners gave up, though not quite as much as we gave up in 2005.

I agree he is overrated, but he would have been an easy upgrade over any of those guys I listed. While pats struggled, I don't think he was the main reason for it either.