• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ronnell Lewis Arrested

LvilleSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hate to see this - the kid's a beast with unlimited potential, but he just can't seem to channel that ability into his vocation. We saw this at OU from time to time, but when he’s on – he’s a show stopper. It’s as if he has to play pissed off – which is great – you need that mentality in this game – but ya gotta bottle it up & apply it on the field, not in a Norman night club.

I agree with previous posters that question “why” he was in Norman to begin with when his mind, body & focus should be in Detroit. It’s business now – not college.

We’ve seen this with McClain in Baltimore just this week – and the lists goes on & on of new NFL talent that still wanna behave like sophomores. They have the physical talent to play – they just don’t have it from the neck up.

Your brother in Football

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon!

I don't really care about this arrest. He is facing, at worst, a few hundred dollar fine. No jail time. No suspension. Nothing relating to the NFL or the game.
Exactly.

It was a fucking bar fight. He's a goddamned football player. Do the math.

How many of you haven't been in a bar fight?

The bad guys here a the d-bags who pressed charges because they got a deserved ass-whooping and the cops who made arrests at a bar fight. It's a damn bar fight for christssakes. If we start arresting everyone involved in those our courts will be backed up for a decade.

Like Kreton said, though, it's just a misdemeanor. Like speeding, or driving on a suspended license...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because cops taser someone twice means nothing. He was charged with 3 misdemeanors. Not felonies. Cops taser people. It happens. He is a big angry guy, they get scared.

Bringing up shit from a year ago is not relevent to Lewis' situation.

And of course you think it is another red flag. You actively seek things to bitch and cry about. You actively look for red flags so you can harp on Mayhew. It is just who you are.

Actually -- if you read the report -- had nothing to do with cops being scared of the big angry guy. He was physically removed from the bar, to the point where the cops were called. Then fought with the guy outside and continued to punch the guy on the ground when the cops told him to stop. When he didn't - they used the taser and he still punched the guy on the ground, so they tasered him again. Sounds like a class act the Lions drafted.

Actually -- what has happened in the past year or two is definitely relevant to Lewis' situation. When these type of things happen with Fairley, LeShoure, Titus Young, Aaron Berry, Ronnell Lewis -- Detroit will start passing on players who could help the team, just like last year with, Janoris Jenkins, because of character issues, as they don't want to add any fuel to the fire in the lockerroom.

Lastly -- I don't look for anything to bitch about -- I didn't put this thread up. I just made the statement how often over the last couple years, Mayhew draft picks, have had more headlines for off the field actions, than on the field play.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hate to see this - the kid's a beast with unlimited potential, but he just can't seem to channel that ability into his vocation. We saw this at OU from time to time, but when he’s on – he’s a show stopper. It’s as if he has to play pissed off – which is great – you need that mentality in this game – but ya gotta bottle it up & apply it on the field, not in a Norman night club.

I agree with previous posters that question “why” he was in Norman to begin with when his mind, body & focus should be in Detroit. It’s business now – not college.

We’ve seen this with McClain in Baltimore just this week – and the lists goes on & on of new NFL talent that still wanna behave like sophomores. They have the physical talent to play – they just don’t have it from the neck up.

Your brother in Football

We'll always have Billy Sims.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the guy he had on the ground punching also felt the taser. It probably was not the evening that guy was hoping for when he went out last night.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't let Kreton read this. It isn't as if he committed a felony, it was only 3 misdemeanors. LOL.

I now see the light Kreton -- everyone gets belligerently drunk, is physically removed from the bar, gets in a fight, ignores the cops and get tasered multiple times and arrested. It is just one of those things. Kids will be kids. It is the offseason, so why should he be getting ready for the upcoming season. It is not like OTA's start in 3 1/2 weeks or anything.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is this not a team issue? Detroit spent a 4th round pick on him and when he should be getting ready for the upcoming season, he is fighting and getting tased (sp) by the police.

This is guy who was supposed to be battling for playing time this year, as we lost Avril and released KVB.
Just because he got drunk and got in a bar fight doesn't mean he isn't getting ready for the season. If he's in Norman, that probably means he's working out with the Sooners, as a lot of younger guys go back to their college program for offseason workouts.

Obviously he made a bad decision, but it's just a bar fight. He didn't brandish a gun, didn't get a DUI, wasn't smoking weed. He's just a big dude who got in a fight. He'll pay his fine and that'll be the end of it.

I can think of much worse things for a pro football player to get arrested for... we're dealing with aggressive dudes here. I'm not excusing what he did, but it's not hard to link huge pro athletes with fighting. Shit, Deion Sanders stabbed a teammate in the neck with a pair of fucking scissors- now there's a team issue!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
idk 'bout that

Yet, the article refers to him as a linebacker, which is what he is. A 3-4 ouside linebacker without a home in a 4-3 defense. I wish someone would let Mayhew in on the defensive scheme the coach runs.
Our defense is more accommodating to 3-4/4-3 hybrids than pretty much any other 4-3 scheme.

You could even make the argument that we play pretty close to a version of the 3-4 with the ends split way out in the 9 technique. The only difference between our DEs and a 3-4 OLB is that ours use a 3 point stance and are right on the line, 3-4 rushers are a step back, standing up. As far as pre-snap positioning goes, though, they're very similar systems in that regard. Our DEs rarely drop into coverage, though, which can be a responsibility of a 3-4 OLB.

Lewis is a Avril clone, size-wise. Cliff had a lot of success for us, so don't discount Lewis based just on his size...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because he got drunk and got in a bar fight doesn't mean he isn't getting ready for the season. If he's in Norman, that probably means he's working out with the Sooners, as a lot of younger guys go back to their college program for offseason workouts.

Obviously he made a bad decision, but it's just a bar fight. He didn't brandish a gun, didn't get a DUI, wasn't smoking weed. He's just a big dude who got in a fight. He'll pay his fine and that'll be the end of it.

I can think of much worse things for a pro football player to get arrested for... we're dealing with aggressive dudes here. I'm not excusing what he did, but it's not hard to link huge pro athletes with fighting. Shit, Deion Sanders stabbed a teammate in the neck with a pair of fucking scissors- now there's a team issue!

I agree there is much worse things he could have been arrested for. The fact OTA's start in 3 1/2 weeks and he is hanging out at campus bars, getting wasted and fighting should show you his maturity level and mindset.

I have more to add, but the pregnant wife needs me to run to the store. I sure wish this baby would get here already.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree there is much worse things he could have been arrested for. The fact OTA's start in 3 1/2 weeks and he is hanging out at campus bars, getting wasted and fighting should show you his maturity level and mindset. .
You gotta remember the dude is 22 years old and working out with college friends. These things happen, pretty often, too.

Shit- if the hockey players from my college got arrested for every bar fight they started we never would have been able to get a team on the ice.

I wouldn't say he's all that immature- getting wasted and fighting isn't that unusual for a 22 year old kid. Not the best decision, granted, for an NFL player, but not a huge deal, either.

Maybe Mayhew, Schwarts, Tully or Stafford will "suggest" he returns to Detroit to continue his offseason workouts?

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we have to wait until the season to see what this arrest means. If he sucks it up, then yea, we'll bring it back up. But if he tears it up, it will be a non-issue. I just hope he gets a chance, he only played one defensive snap last yr! Only Gym Shorts would limit a completely healthy 4th rounder on the bench

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cut him. No nothing he was arrested for was anything serious but really its just ridiculous seeing these idiots on the news for negative things every month.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ronnell is gonna be a good player for us...this is not helping him get there.