• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ronald Leary

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think happens here?
Trade?
Nothing?

I'm not sure I'd trade him for a draft pick. Player for player seems logical. Leary has value as a player.

this may go on awhile.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I think he stays or maybe something happens if injury strikes another teams OG. I think a lot of NFL teams are making a mistake not trading for this guy (not knowing what Dallas is asking for of course). IMO he is a very good starting Guard and could upgrade that spot for most NFL teams. I actually hope we keep him. We've struggled with depth over the last few years so I see him on the team as a good thing.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were me and Dallas could find some Dline help (or maybe a 4th rounder) for Leary, I would trade him. Some will say that we need him for depth, but I'm more of the opinion it's best to get rid of guys who don't want to be here. From Leary's stand point I understand - he has that degenerative knee and probably wants to play as much as he can while he can. I'm sure Leary has his financial security at heart here.

Personally, not as big a fan of Leary as some. He was pretty bad last year.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bad year doesn't fit. I also think he could start for more teams than not

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think first nice trade offer and he's gone. Steven said there not gonna just give him away.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bad year doesn't fit. I also think he could start for more teams than not
Agree, just b/c Collins eventually beat him out doesn't make Leary any less of a player. If Collins had covered at RT last year instead of LG, I don't think anyone would be calling for a replacement for Leary right now.

To answer the original post, I think we keep him as insurance this year. Collins and Martin have position flex, so if either of them have to cover at RT, Leary becomes a factor. His contract doesn't make him a liability to us, so if traded, we would need to get something very important - not a 5th/6th round draft pick.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, just b/c Collins eventually beat him out doesn't make Leary any less of a player. If Collins had covered at RT last year instead of LG, I don't think anyone would be calling for a replacement for Leary right now.

To answer the original post, I think we keep him as insurance this year. Collins and Martin have position flex, so if either of them have to cover at RT, Leary becomes a factor. His contract doesn't make him a liability to us, so if traded, we would need to get something very important - not a 5th/6th round draft pick.
I think you're right...certainly since this season seems vested on the oline being dominate

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys Will Allow G Ronald Leary To Seek Trade, But Won’t Move Him For “Little Or Nothing”
32 mins ago Cowboys Leave a comment

Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones said Thursday that they will allow G Ronald Leary to speak to interested teams about a potential trade out of Dallas. However, Jones says that they have no plans to move him for “little or nothing.

We told Ron that he could certainly look around, but we’re not in the business of letting go of good football players for little or nothing,” Jones said, via Charean Williams of the Star-Telegram. “We got calls during the draft asking to trade for a couple of our running backs, and we just don’t have that interest. Ron’s a big part of this football team. I know it’s disappointing when you’ve been starting, and then you’re not starting. We’d hoped that he would look at it as ‘let’s come in here and compete.’

“We did tell him if the right situation presented itself or if it’s a good situation for us, we certainly understand that he’s a competitor and wants to start and go to a place where he has a better chance to start. But we expect him to come in here at some point, and we’re going to welcome him with open arms and hopefully he’s getting in shape wherever he is right now. And hopefully he gets in here sooner than later, because we want him in here. He’ll do a great job for us this year. Then, he’s an unrestricted free agent next year, and we’ll make those types of decisions. But right now, he’s signed with us and we plan on keeping him unless something that’s really attractive to us shows up.

Reports from a few days ago mentioned that Leary had requested a trade, which explains why was not in attendance for the start of the Cowboys’ offseason program, as well as the start of OTAs on Tuesday.

Before the draft, Leary signed his one-year restricted tender worth $2.553 million for the 2016 season in the hope of facilitating a trade.

As ow now, Leary is in line to be a backup for the Cowboys in 2016, so the decision to request a trade is likely to increase his odds of seeing the field this year before testing the open market as an unrestricted free agent in 2017.

Leary, 26, wound up signing on with the Cowboys as an undrafted free agent out of back in 2012. He spent part of the 2012 season on their practice squad, but has since made the 53-man roster each season.

According to OverTheCap.com, trading Leary would free up $2,553,000 in available cap space while creating no dead money.

In 2015, Leary was limited to appearing in four games and played a total of 221 snaps for the Cowboys, according to Pro Football Focus.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why he'd sign a tender to facilitate a trade, wouldn't he have been better off going as a FA? Maybe he didn't think he'd get the 2.55M.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we will have to worry about Martin or Collins shifting out to RT, we have Chaz Green ready to step into a backup T role this season.

As far as Leary's level of play, I just didn't see much to write home about last year. To me, he clearly regressed some.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what they could get that they would value as much as, if not more than they value Leary in return. We're likely talking about a player on defense, or at least that's my guess, but what would that mean for them? My kneejerk assumption is he would land a D-lineman in return to be part of the Cowboys rotation. I doubt that player would be much of a pressure player, as they're too valuable to get rid of unless there's a catch. If the Cowboys are lucky, they might get a project with some upside in return. Otherwise, I think they just get a dude whom we'd see less and less of when we get our knuckleheads back from suspension.

I'd keep Leary unless someone gets desperate and they're willing to make a favorable trade. I wouldn't necessarily be against a draft pick, but I wouldn't do something like take a 5th-7th rounder in return. I'm not even that big on the idea of a 4th rounder, but I don't know that anyone would want to offer more than that unless they got desperate.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leary needs to quit being a whiner and show up to camp. Cowboys need to get fair value. This woulf mean a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Otherwise he can be a back up and maybe he turns into a compensatory pick.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way we get a 2nd round pick. But since we would get a comp pick it's just another reason not to trade him. Keep him as a backup this year. Let him go FA next year and get a comp pick the following year.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way we get a 2nd round pick. But since we would get a comp pick it's just another reason not to trade him. Keep him as a backup this year. Let him go FA next year and get a comp pick the following year.
I agree no way we get a 2nd, even a third is doubtful, question is what kind of comp pick would we get for a non starter? I honestly don't know, if Dallas is offered a 3rd they better jump in it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree no way we get a 2nd, even a third is doubtful, question is what kind of comp pick would we get for a non starter? I honestly don't know, if Dallas is offered a 3rd they better jump in it.
The assumption is someone signs him to start

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The assumption is someone signs him to start
I agree, but doesn't him not being a starter in Dallas also play into the formula? I'm not sure but I think it does. I think it's a three tier formula, 1. was he a starter, 2. is he a starter, 3. salary signed for.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but doesn't him not being a starter in Dallas also play into the formula? I'm not sure but I think it does. I think it's a three tier formula, 1. was he a starter, 2. is he a starter, 3. salary signed for.

I think the fact that Leary is not starting in Dallas is less of an issue as it would be if he were not starting somewhere else. Dallas is so flush with talent on the Oline that it shouldn't be that damning of the player.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the exact formula seems a mystery...Role on prior team doesn't come into play from all accounts. But of course since salary does, your role with your prior team indirectly does because it likely influences your salary