• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Return Game

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Takeaway: Redskins, at 0-3, are a long way from winning, much less winning NFC East - The Washington Post

This WP review of the team included this excerpt regarding the return game:

Who’s the returner?
As if the Redskins don’t have enough problems on offense and defense, now they’re searching for a new kickoff returner.

Rookie Chris Thompson hasn’t inspired confidence returning punts or kickoffs. Wideout Josh Morgan, who replaced Thompson on kickoffs against the Lions, was just okay in averaging 21.5 yards on two returns. The Redskins have to improve their field position on returns. It’s that simple.

In fairness to Thompson, he was put in a tough spot for a rookie. Thompson was elevated to the important role after cornerback Richard Crawford suffered a season-ending knee injury in the preseason. Thompson is trying to find his place in the league. The Redskins, though, have to pick up the pace across the board. This is no time to hold anyone’s hand.

It appears to be a combination of bad luck & poor play from the younger players. Not sure what can be done to fix this area right now. Thoughts?

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plenty of blame to go around. You need those blue collar players like Crawford on a roster. I had high expectation for Thompson ... hopefully he, and the rest of ST, can get it figured out

Forbath should be back this week atleast
karatekid2.gif

Haven't heard anyone calling for Burn's head ..... yet.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plenty of blame to go around. You need those blue collar players like Crawford on a roster. I had high expectation for Thompson ... hopefully he, and the rest of ST, can get it figured out

Forbath should be back this week atleast
karatekid2.gif

Haven't heard anyone calling for Burn's head ..... yet.

Nah - I don't believe that this is one you can place on the coaches. You can have good coaching but you need a returner who is a threat. Perhaps it could be Thompson but just don't see it. Certainly Crawford showed promise after the Ravens game - tough break.

This is certainly an area they can improve if not this season then maybe during the offseason. Really sucks since this has traditionally been a Redskins strength & was starting to come around a few years back with Banks until he helped work his way out of the NFL.

SkinFaninATL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not been impressed with Chris Thompson as a return man. He hasn't had a good return, since he's been back there. Not to mention, against the Packers, he was replaced by Santana Moss on returns. Maybe, he'll get it together. Perhaps, the whole team will get it together.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i never wanted thompson to return for us because he was not a returner in college. i wanted dawson but he isnt even on our ps. just let moss do it or call williams up...

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good catch Crush. So many of these "Worst since" stats for defense & now special teams yet some folks want to keep maintaining that the primary reasons for the losses is RG3. Get real.

Time for these units to at least avoid the "Worst since" lists over the next few months.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson has to learn to get upfield quicker. Or sit and watch someone else do it.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss Rock Cartwright. All he did was catch the ball and go forward. And some how we ALWAYS managed to start out at better than the 20. All these "Speedy" guys we are trying out as returners spend more time dancing and dont produce squat.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss Rock Cartwright. All he did was catch the ball and go forward. And some how we ALWAYS managed to start out at better than the 20. All these "Speedy" guys we are trying out as returners spend more time dancing and dont produce squat.
Rock seemed to always get to the 30 every time.

Maybe Mike Nelms can still play.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock seemed to always get to the 30 every time.

Maybe Mike Nelms can still play.

Oh yeah. Or Mitchell or even Banks. At this time Thompson looks like A-R-E Jr. As Shark mentioned - the good returners move upfield as quickly as possible & minimize all of the unnecessary dancing. Time for someone to step up.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
44m Redskins experimenting with return men http://wapo.st/18WkMBc

The best part about that link was seeing (in the comments) that Jordan Cameron's sister (not bad looking) now has a baby with both Matt Lienart & Blake Griffin. Cameron's girlfriend is also very hot.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Love this quote from Burns in that article:

"But at the same time, we’re not where we want to be, but we’re improving."

Really? Where? lol. I hope he is right about the youth & improvements. Otherwise - this guy will be lucky to find a high school coaching gig after this. I just wish that the Redskins players & coaches would use the bye week to keep their mouths shut. Who wants to hear this type of stuff?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocking...the guy who stands to lose his job because we have no return game, punting or kicking, and we can't cover punts or kicks, and we can't block for punts...makes a patience statement.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree GKE. Here is another Burns quote from that article:

"The way these young guys are kicking the ball, it’s tough to get a kickoff return – or a decent one anyway – so you’ve just got to be patient. That’s what I’ve been preaching to the guys: be patient and don’t feel like you have to press and that we have to go out there and win the game. Our job is not to mess the game up.”

I agree with the first statement. However - the rest of it sounds like garbage. Hey coach - guess what? Your guys are messing it up for the rest of the team! You gave the Raiders 7 pts on the punt block, you messed up on the fake & you continually put the offense in a hole due to poor decisions & returners who cannot gain any yardage & dance around & don't move upfield.

Hopefully - they can respond kind of like the defense on Sunday & actually contribute to the team or at least allow the offense to start drives somewhere beyond the 20 yd line.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3