• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins controversy

REAL_Harrison

Amateurstitute
Hoopla Cash
$ 510.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that the Kansas City Star is refusing to print the word "Redskins" even when referring to the NFL team. Of course this brings up the whole issue as to whether the Washington should change their name, is it racist, offensive, etc. What do y'all think?

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought they should have bitten the bullet a long time ago and changed it, as stupid as I think the whole thing is.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comes up, what, twice a decade? Must be that time again. This will blow over (probably already has). Get ready for the next one in 2017.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is stupid, I wonder how many Indian and Native Americans have complained about it. I am guessing it is a lot less then a group of white people trying to make everything "equal" or creating a controversy

Its a team name, its not racist or offensive. And if it does offend you get over it.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did a study back in the early 90s and something like 80% of the native Americans they surveyed liked the name.

Of course in modern times where everyone is so easily offended, a new study may show the opposite.

I am not Native American so it isn't my place to say. I can root for the hapless Washingon Warriors as easily asthe Redskins.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please change the Cowboys name then as sometimes others use "Cowboy" as a mockery or demeaning intentions to describe white folks.

complete bull shit, I hate when this stuff comes up and people start crying foul to change the Native American names in sport teams. High Schools around the area are being forced to change their mascot names in order to please these people. You realize how much money that will cost? Our schools are losing teachers at massive numbers each year because the district can't afford to keep them, yet they are willing to dump money into changing a school mascot? That is, changing the name on football fields (expensive if your team name is on turf) changing the big letters on the outside of the school, painting over anything inside the school that has the mascot name, getting brand new uniforms, helmets, athletic gear, getting new hardwood on your basketball floor if it has your mascot on there, changing already printed out school pride t-shirts. Lots of money goes into this, it's worthless time and money to change it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please change the Cowboys name then as sometimes others use "Cowboy" as a mockery or demeaning intentions to describe white folks.

complete bull shit, I hate when this stuff comes up and people start crying foul to change the Native American names in sport teams. High Schools around the area are being forced to change their mascot names in order to please these people. You realize how much money that will cost? Our schools are losing teachers at massive numbers each year because the district can't afford to keep them, yet they are willing to dump money into changing a school mascot? That is, changing the name on football fields (expensive if your team name is on turf) changing the big letters on the outside of the school, painting over anything inside the school that has the mascot name, getting brand new uniforms, helmets, athletic gear, getting new hardwood on your basketball floor if it has your mascot on there, changing already printed out school pride t-shirts. Lots of money goes into this, it's worthless time and money to change it.

I know you are kidding, but there actually was one or two redskin dipshits on the disney board that claimed that in all seriousness.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the name is by definition, racist.

And YES, the indians were quite upset about it. They sued the team and the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the team.

That doesn't make it any less offensive to them. They're just used to being shit on by the white man.