• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds 'really impressed' with Phillip Ervin

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reds 'really impressed' with Phillip Ervin
by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com
The Reds are more than pleased with how quickly 2013 first-round pick Phillip Ervin had made the transition from college to the pros. In 46 games between Rookie League and Class A, Ervin hit .331 with a .564 slugging percentage and .989 OPS.
"We were really impressed," Reds player development director Jeff Graupe told MLB.com. "Obviously, all the physical ability he has is the first thing you see. But over time, seeing the consistent quality of his at-bats was the most impressive thing for me.
"A lot of times, a young hitter comes in and -- especially a first-rounder -- wants to prove he belongs and show you everything he can do on every swing. Phillip has such a calm demeanor and an ability to slow the game down for a first-year player."
Ervin, who is considered the Reds' third-best prospect by Baseball America, showed good power in his brief stint last season, totaling one triple, nine home runs and 11 doubles. Though, Ervin said his goal isn't to become a big-time home run hitter.
"I want to be a doubles guy," Ervin said. "I had some [pop]. I like hitting home runs -- and [I'm] not going to be mad if I do -- but I'm not the guy who will go up there and think [he] needs to hit 30 home runs. That's not me. I'll be happy with 30 doubles or something like that and maybe 10 or 12 home runs."

I'm glad Dusty is gone...This kid would've never sniffed the majors after this interview. HE'D RATHER HIT A DOUBLE THAN A HOME RUN???!!!!...OH THE BLASPHEMY!! :lol:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wise kid-humility is advised in rookie ball.

There are still guys at that level that are still better than anyone else they've played with or against. By Double-A, that is rarely true, and the higher the level, the tougher it gets. There is a lot to this game for a position player. Frankly, a lot is overlooked as an ametuer, especially if the guy can go deep regularly, even against less than elite competition. It's a long road from where he's at, to where he wants to go.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erwin sounded genuinely humble after he was signed, as I recall. Some people really ARE like that.
He seems like he is on a fast track. If he's at Pensy this year, then I think by the end of next year, he might get a callup sniff.

He is right, though, and anybody who ever studied baseball will tell you that the doubles are what hitters do. The rest of it comes after you learn how to hit.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a time when I could hit, but I never had wheels. I was getting crap from a coach about how bad I ran, and I reminded him how many doubles and triples I had- and he told me they would have all been triples and inside the park HR if his grandmother was running them out.

Doubles are often indicators of future power in young players, especially those taking vitamin S.