• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

reading levels of student athletes

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A CNN investigation found public universities across the country where many students in the basketball and football programs could read only up to an eighth-grade level.

As a graduate student at UNC-Greensboro, Willingham researched the reading levels of 183 UNC-Chapel Hill athletes who played football or basketball from 2004 to 2012. She found that 60% read between fourth- and eighth-grade levels. Between 8% and 10% read below a third-grade level.

University of Oklahoma professor Gerald Gurney found that about 10% of revenue-sport athletes there were reading below a fourth-grade level.

Based on data from those requests and dozens of interviews, a CNN investigation revealed that most schools have between 7% and 18% of revenue sport athletes who are reading at an elementary school level. Some had even higher percentages of below-threshold athletes.

CNN: Some college athletes play like adults, read like 5th-graders - CNN.com

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See that this thread preceded mine, so recommend merging them.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's two levels higher than the average person in the US. congrats

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What bums me out about this arent the Jameis Winston's of the world, but the guys who will never get a chance to earn a good payday. I'm willing to give up some practice and weight room time to get these fellows.....umm.....reading and learning. It could even begin before they start college. Let each university that intends on trying to recruit an athlete throw in some money and get them tutored before they ever walk in the doors. I dont want them going the Maurice Clarett route and robbing my ass in 4 years because 'it's the only way I knew'.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What bums me out about this arent the Jameis Winston's of the world, but the guys who will never get a chance to earn a good payday. I'm willing to give up some practice and weight room time to get these fellows.....umm.....reading and learning. It could even begin before they start college. Let each university that intends on trying to recruit an athlete throw in some money and get them tutored before they ever walk in the doors. I dont want them going the Maurice Clarett route and robbing my ass in 4 years because 'it's the only way I knew'.

Exactly. The kid that goes to college thinking that it's going to be his way out because he's either going to get drafted or he's going to be educated, and then ends up with neither.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

there are tutors specifically for athletes.. not only that, but why are we worried about throwing extra money at these guys who are already getting a free ride. If you don't want to work hard and make the most of an opportunity, then FUCK YOU!!!!! Just sitting here thinking about the money I still owe on students loans pisses me off... especially when I know there are dumbasses out there getting a free ride and could care less.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are tutors specifically for athletes.. not only that, but why are we worried about throwing extra money at these guys who are already getting a free ride. If you don't want to work hard and make the most of an opportunity, then FUCK YOU!!!!! Just sitting here thinking about the money I still owe on students loans pisses me off... especially when I know there are dumbasses out there getting a free ride and could care less.

Better to spend the money now on education than later on incarceration or welfare benefits. :noidea:

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, it isnt really a 'free ride'. These schools are making millions off these kids god-given talents and hard work.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, it isnt really a 'free ride'. These schools are making millions off these kids god-given talents and hard work.

If I'd had any talent at that level, I would rather play a sport and not have any loans than walk away from college knowing I will be paying for the next 20 years. Besides, most of these guys reap the benefits of playing a sport whether they make it at the next level or not.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'd had any talent at that level, I would rather play a sport and not have any loans than walk away from college knowing I will be paying for the next 20 years. Besides, most of these guys reap the benefits of playing a sport whether they make it at the next level or not.

No, most of them don't, except for the benefits of the education they receive. - Thus why we are having this conversation. - And I'd guess you didn't help contribute millions in revenue to your university, unless they really jacked you on your tuition.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, most of them don't, except for the benefits of the education they receive. - Thus why we are having this conversation. - And I'd guess you didn't help contribute millions in revenue to your university, unless they really jacked you on your tuition.

Sorry, not interested in providing even more help to these guys. There are tutor rooms set up all over these colleges. Let them get help there like the rest of us.