• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Read option

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it over??? Im not positive but I dont think he kept it one time tonight.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it over??? Im not positive but I dont think he kept it one time tonight.

Pretty much. I don't think it will completely die out but it won't be the main feature of the offense, IMO.

negativeCreep

Odd Man Out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love being right.

Heard a good one tonight - RGO-III

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read Option....boy what a discussion on the skids board this summer. Redskin fans took everything to heart and screamed foul with the suggestion of the trade off of hits on the QB....which is part of it when fakes are carried out. That's just common sense. I tried to explain with Seattle, Washington and SF having success would require defensive cords. all over the league to seek opinions. study and brainstorm ways to combat this scheme. Redskin fans couldn't accept this and countered with the offense will design plays to counter. Well????????????????????????? It's time to bring out that counter cause the defense's have adjusted.

It's not dead but it isn't the offense many were so sure would turn the way the pro game is played. I still see value with the package, but it will not have the complete impact on pro football that many seemed so sure of just two months ago

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Kapernick struggling so bad the previous two games, I really thought he / Harbaugh/ Offens. Co. would resort back to what made them better last season. Even if they dont run it , I still see value with it, especially with RG3. From watching SF though , I really think they caught lightning in a bottle last yr when the defenses were unprepared. I know they have a good defense as well, but that offense was clicking in the playoffs last yr. Watching Kap play so far this season, I have to wonder if Harbs wishes he had Alex back.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Kapernick struggling so bad the previous two games, I really thought he / Harbaugh/ Offens. Co. would resort back to what made them better last season. Even if they dont run it , I still see value with it, especially with RG3. From watching SF though , I really think they caught lightning in a bottle last yr when the defenses were unprepared. I know they have a good defense as well, but that offense was clicking in the playoffs last yr. Watching Kap play so far this season, I have to wonder if Harbs wishes he had Alex back.

I wonder that myself. Not that Kaep won't continue to grow but Alex was perfect for the offense. They are successful running the power sweep and power running game all together. Alex didn't make mistakes and did just enough to offset that and make plays.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, thats what I was trying to say. Dont get me wrong Kap has a world of talent, but Smith was good for that offense. To me it may have been an all in decision for Harbaugh and it almost worked. Last yr the read option worked much like the wildcat did 7 or 8 yrs ago. I dont mean to compare the 2, but it was a nightmare to stop. I think Harbs chose to ride it to the end. Truth is Smith could have done the same thing. He could be very effective running it as well. I will be interested to see Kap play again with Crabtree . I know Boldin is a nice WR , but Kap and Crabtree had a connection.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, thats what I was trying to say. Dont get me wrong Kap has a world of talent, but Smith was good for that offense. To me it may have been an all in decision for Harbaugh and it almost worked. Last yr the read option worked much like the wildcat did 7 or 8 yrs ago. I dont mean to compare the 2, but it was a nightmare to stop. I think Harbs chose to ride it to the end. Truth is Smith could have done the same thing. He could be very effective running it as well. I will be interested to see Kap play again with Crabtree . I know Boldin is a nice WR , but Kap and Crabtree had a connection.

I think Harbaugh was anointed a little to soon. Still not sold on him being the next great NFL coach or his QB choice as the next great QB. Dude can run but his foot work sucks and slings the football all over the field.

Harbaugh's choice.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at Harbaughs choice last yr much like The Diamondbacks choice in the World Series vs the Yankees. I know weird analogy but they made a choice simply for that yr. They threw Randy Johnson in relief the day after he threw well over 100 pitches. I think RJ didnt care about the future , he saw a chance to get a ring and did it. I know probably a little extreme comparison, but truthfully I dont think Smith goes in ATL and wins. I think Harbs saw a chance and took it, regardless of what happened in the future. I think he struggled mightily with the decision as well, but I think he saw his offense with limitations with Smith. I think he saw Washington and said we can do this too with a much better defense than Washington.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at Harbaughs choice last yr much like The Diamondbacks choice in the World Series vs the Yankees. I know weird analogy but they made a choice simply for that yr. They threw Randy Johnson in relief the day after he threw well over 100 pitches. I think RJ didnt care about the future , he saw a chance to get a ring and did it. I know probably a little extreme comparison, but truthfully I dont think Smith goes in ATL and wins. I think Harbs saw a chance and took it, regardless of what happened in the future. I think he struggled mightily with the decision as well, but I think he saw his offense with limitations with Smith. I think he saw Washington and said we can do this too with a much better defense than Washington.

"I know probably a little extreme comparison"
? Noooo :rollseyes:

If Jim this thinking that way then he'll prove to be a short term head coach

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think Kapernick gave them the best chance to win last year because of his explosiveness from this particular formation. Now that it seems the def. coordinators have caught up some, Smith may be better for them today. Time will tell. I will say if Smith never gets hurt last yr, we are most likely sitting at 3-0 right now. Championships are extremely hard to come by as we all well know. I think he made the right choice for last year, maybe not the future.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't be happier defenses are killing it. If I wanna watch bullshit ball I'll watch college football.

Plus I've never been a fan of running Qbs. They are always over rated because they are "exciting" to watch. Problem is it's like winning the Lotto if you ever find one that was taught the fundimentals in college or high school because the coaches let them take off running rather than go through their progressions if their first target is covered.

negativeCreep

Odd Man Out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this: (about Harbaughs decision, kap and Alex Smith) Had he stuck with Alex last year, I think they still win the same amount of games (give or take) - make a playoff run - AND/IF they got to the SuperBowl, they would of won it. That's not a very popular opinion, this I know, but I believe it to be true. I think he made the wrong decision, and I think he's starting to realize it. It's still early though, there's plenty of time for kap to start playing better but... Just saying..

We'll never know, and not many are happier than I that the 9ers lost.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this: (about Harbaughs decision, kap and Alex Smith) Had he stuck with Alex last year, I think they still win the same amount of games (give or take) - make a playoff run - AND/IF they got to the SuperBowl, they would of won it. That's not a very popular opinion, this I know, but I believe it to be true. I think he made the wrong decision, and I think he's starting to realize it. It's still early though, there's plenty of time for kap to start playing better but... Just saying..

We'll never know, and not many are happier than I that the 9ers lost.

Not sure if anyone could really argue for or against you here. I agree Smith may have done just as well and maybe they win the SB. With the running game and defense they have, they don't need a superstar QB.

FLSkinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see the read option ever being gone from the league totally at this point. It will evolve more to fit the QB that is running it. Looking at Cam, Kaep, and Russel stats for this year, there seems to be a theme. You win when you are not the focal point of the running game and you lose when you are. The read option should benefit the RB and make him better as a runner then to add to the QB stats. It also should help in the play action pass. It should help the receivers get open. I also think that it is being run less right now to have them work on the passing game more. To make them a better QB. This way if it does not work you can go back to it more or if it is working and the QB is progressing as a standard QB then it will work better as a change of pace 2 to 3 times a game. Each situation is different to each team.

As for the game on Thursday, Gore was having a great night, why would they even change what they were doing. It is always funny when they do not run it one game people think it is over. I think they saw a chance to get Gore going and StL was not going to stop it. That would be like telling Peyton that he could not throw the ball anymore and had to run it all the time.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see the read option ever being gone from the league totally at this point. It will evolve more to fit the QB that is running it. Looking at Cam, Kaep, and Russel stats for this year, there seems to be a theme. You win when you are not the focal point of the running game and you lose when you are. The read option should benefit the RB and make him better as a runner then to add to the QB stats. It also should help in the play action pass. It should help the receivers get open. I also think that it is being run less right now to have them work on the passing game more. To make them a better QB. This way if it does not work you can go back to it more or if it is working and the QB is progressing as a standard QB then it will work better as a change of pace 2 to 3 times a game. Each situation is different to each team.

As for the game on Thursday, Gore was having a great night, why would they even change what they were doing. It is always funny when they do not run it one game people think it is over. I think they saw a chance to get Gore going and StL was not going to stop it. That would be like telling Peyton that he could not throw the ball anymore and had to run it all the time.

I agree it may have place in the NFL but it will have a small role. I don't see it being used as much as some teams fans had thought it would. Then again if if gets shelved like the run and shoot I won't be shocked

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it may have place in the NFL but it will have a small role. I don't see it being used as much as some teams fans had thought it would. Then again if if gets shelved like the run and shoot I won't be shocked

I agree.
a running game has always set up play action pass....matters if you're under center or 3 yards back