• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Raymond files for arbitration

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alright, now Gillis absolutely has to make a Bieksa deal so he knows what cap number he has to work with and what he can offer Raymond.

An offer sheet may have not been a bad thing, puck, if Raymond gets a hefty arbitration figure (around 3m) then Gillis may have to let him walk to UFA for absolutely nothing in return. At least an offer sheet signing by another team gives compensation.

I still think Raymond will be in a Canucks uni, and for around 2.25 to 2.5m, when all is said and done.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Raymond will be in a Canucks uni, and for around 2.25 to 2.5m, when all is said and done.

If Gillis can pull that off, hats off to him. If Colby Armstrong gets 3 million, Raymond has to be looking at that type of figure as well, in my opinion.

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Colby Armstrong's value can not be taken straight from point totals. He's got no problem going into corners nor taking pain in front of the net.

Mason Raymond is a speedy point producer....and that's about where it ends. If he's not producing, he's not helping much. And he had 10 and 11 game stints of not helping much.

I do happen to agree that Mason Raymond is more valuable and worthy of a higher salary than Colby Armstrong, but, if M.R. actually wants to stay in Vancouver, he's going to have to take less than C.A. All I'm saying.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure it'll be north of $2.5. UFA contracts shouldn't be used for comparisons as it's open market for those. But still, that Kulemin deal could fuck things up.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The strongest part of Colby Armstrong's game has been taken away though (of course, I'm referring to the blindside hit to the head). hehe

bmanhas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm sure it'll be north of $2.5. UFA contracts shouldn't be used for comparisons as it's open market for those. But still, that Kulemin deal could fuck things up.

well put, i thought i had read somewhere UFA comparable could not be used in RFA arbitration hearings. can anyone verify that?

would be very interesting to see what number Raymond brings and what number Gillis brings.

wow, nice board guys, Rockerless is a huge bonus.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well put, i thought i had read somewhere UFA comparable could not be used in RFA arbitration hearings. can anyone verify that?

Yes, that is in the CBA. Thus, you can throw out my Colby Armstrong post above on that principle, however I still think if Gillis can get Raymond in the 2.25 to 2.5 million range, that's a coup.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those interested, I pulled this right from the NHL CBA document:

The following categories of evidence are inadmissible and shall
not be considered by the Salary Arbitrator:

(A) Any SPC the term of which began when the Player party to
such SPC was not a Group 2 Player;

(B) Any SPC entered into by an Unrestricted Free Agent,
including SPCs signed by Players after the Player's Club
has exercised a walk-away right pursuant to Section 12.10;

(C) The SPC of any Player who is not being offered as a
comparable Player to the party Player;

(D) Qualifying Offers made by the Club pursuant to Section
10.2(b);

(E) Any prior offers or history of negotiations between the
Player and the Club;

(F) Testimonials, videotapes, newspaper columns, press game
reports or similar materials;

(G) Any reference to actual or potential walk-away rights;

(H) Any award issued by a Salary Arbitrator as to which a Club
exercised its walk-away rights pursuant to Section 12.10;

(I) The financial condition of the Club or the League;

(J) References to a Club's Upper or Lower Limit, or to the
Players' Share;

(K) Any salary arbitration award issued in 2005-2006; or

(L) Any reference to any salary or other compensation
information in any salary arbitration opinion that took place
prior to the execution of this Agreement. If any salary
arbitration opinion issued prior to the execution of this
Agreement is cited as precedent, all references to any
Player's Player Paragraph 1 Salary or other compensation
information will be redacted.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Glass and Hansen also filed for arbitration, fwiw.

Not sure how Glass thinks he is worthy of a raise. He was invisible from about November on. he did lead the team in hits though, however sad that is.
Tough to say what Hansen would be asking for. He wasn't really healthy enough to establish a case.

bmanhas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Glass and Hansen also filed for arbitration, fwiw.

Not sure how Glass thinks he is worthy of a raise. He was invisible from about November on. he did lead the team in hits though, however sad that is.
Tough to say what Hansen would be asking for. He wasn't really healthy enough to establish a case.

They filed so they could get 1 way contracts, not to get a raise. I imagine any raise would be a bonus.

Makes sense on their part, they have enough under their belt now to say they are worthy of an NHL job. They played more than 50% of games on a top 6 team in the NHL. Their argument will be that they can play on the 3rd/4th line on 75% of the teams in the NHL, thus deserving one way contracts.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dreger seems to think he will get at least 3 million in arbitration but just mentioned he may be willing to sign for a "home town" discount

and on that note ... "Mase" has been everywhere so far this summer representing the team ... best buy openings, audio video bbq out in Abbotsford (maybe he's angling for a new free home a/v system), draft day parties ... Im forgetting a couple other events