• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers travel to cellar dweller A's 6/13-6/16

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams best arm between the two corners is in RF.

For whatever it's worth, the top five assist leaders in LF for 2015 had a total of 54, and that number goes to 61 in RF.

Look, most of ya seem to think Choo will go back to RF, but I wouldn't make that change myself. I get where everyone is coming from though.

But I think the thing most everyone is remembering is how bad Choo was in LF. But he was awful in RF as well until he made the mental turnaround in the 2nd half last season. But all that said, Cano doesn't get thrown out with Choo in right, nor was the guy who got nailed at the plate about 2 weeks ago.

No I completely agree that Choo should go to LF. You don't mess with a guy having the kind of season Mazara is. I don't care his contract. And I'd have him on a short lease and be willing to cut ties with him if he comes back and does anything less than the stellar OBP we signed him for.

But that is just me, and I despise people who get to coast based on past performance...and do so at the expense of a better option. i realize that is an odd feeling to have considering how sports contracts are based. But it's still me.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
although it is funny to have a team that has a worse record and has gone 4-6 over their last 10 as a "better" team than the best AL record and 8-2 in last 10. :happy:

With 1 win vs BJays and 1 vs SF, and the other 2 vs Minny of those 4 wins

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look, most of ya seem to think Choo will go back to RF, but I wouldn't make that change myself. I get where everyone is coming from though.
I agreed with this three weeks ago and still do. I'd play Choo in LF against righties.
It should be about playing the players that give you the best chance to win regardless of their ridicules salary

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no right to voice this b/c I don't have any real type of schedule I have to keep. But these 9 PM games are a bummer.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when I played right handers played left and left handers played right in the outfield. I assume that hasn't changed. With both Choo and Mazara being left-handed that becomes a wash. Then it becomes about arm strength. RF needs more arm strength as plays are being made going away from them, specifically plays at 3rd. Advantage Mazara. Finally while CF is the OF position requiring the most speed and athleticism, LF is a close second due to the prevalence of RH hitters who pull the ball in MLB. Mazara's clear advantage over Choo in speed and athleticism outweighs the slight loss of arm strength Choo brings to RF. So if both are in the lineup, and not DHing, Mazara has got to be in left, Choo in right.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mazara's clear advantage over Choo in speed and athleticism outweighs the slight loss of arm strength Choo brings to RF.

Mazara may or may not be faster than Choo. It certainly isn't a clear cut issue. Mazara's speed, lack thereof, is one of the few faults he has.

Choo's arm is avg at best. Mazara's is well above avg to very good. How is this a "slight" edge?

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe instead of speed I should have said quickness and agility. This is where I think Mazara has a big advantage over an oft-injured Choo. Just think that trumps Mazara's better arm in RF. I think Mazara would be better than Choo at both corner OF positions. But the difference between the two, IMO, is smaller in RF than LF.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no right to voice this b/c I don't have any real type of schedule I have to keep. But these 9 PM games are a bummer.
I like to kid around with it but dang it really is sad that you can't enjoy a game without being miserable the next day. Screw the west coast teams and the horse they ride in on. Hope my furbaby lets me sleep to 10 in the morning. Oooops did I say that? Kick ass Rangers!

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams best arm between the two corners is in RF.

For whatever it's worth, the top five assist leaders in LF for 2015 had a total of 54, and that number goes to 61 in RF.

But I think the thing most everyone is remembering is how bad Choo was in LF. But he was awful in RF as well until he made the mental turnaround in the 2nd half last season. But all that said, Cano doesn't get thrown out with Choo in right, nor was the guy who got nailed at the plate about 2 weeks ago.

Choo is bad defensively either place, but he is top 3 terrible in LF, even worse than before you say he was before things "clicked" for him last year

I already posted the numbers, and I think Mazara in LF versus RF is a wash ultimately, but not the same for Choo

Overall OF defense is better with Choo in RF and Mazara IMO, it has absolutely nothing to do with how much money anyone makes

I think we're a better team with Choo in RF versus LF (not even getting into the he should be DHing argument)

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when I played right handers played left and left handers played right in the outfield. I assume that hasn't changed. With both Choo and Mazara being left-handed that becomes a wash. Then it becomes about arm strength. RF needs more arm strength as plays are being made going away from them, specifically plays at 3rd. Advantage Mazara. Finally while CF is the OF position requiring the most speed and athleticism, LF is a close second due to the prevalence of RH hitters who pull the ball in MLB. Mazara's clear advantage over Choo in speed and athleticism outweighs the slight loss of arm strength Choo brings to RF. So if both are in the lineup, and not DHing, Mazara has got to be in left, Choo in right.
I see Maz like I do Profar. The guy can play where you put him and excel. It's Choo I have concern for. It won't matter where Maz plays but it will matter in Choo's case. Choo in right.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to kid around with it but dang it really is sad that you can't enjoy a game without being miserable the next day. Screw the west coast teams and the horse they ride in on. Hope my furbaby lets me sleep to 10 in the morning. Oooops did I say that? Kick ass Rangers!
Hate them late games!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fellas, we're a game or two from finding out who's in either respective OF corner.

I've already cast my vote. So I'm waiting to see the lineup when all these moving parts are available.

And it won't be a matter of right vs wrong. They're all moving parts, some cases, even interchangeable parts at that.

So what happens the 1st game back (Choo) vs the long-term of "who mans each position", may take a week or so.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I have to be up at 5 am every tuesday and I think these late games are shit, so theres that! Now lets see what that will do!:nod:

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
although it is funny to have a team that has a worse record and has gone 4-6 over their last 10 as a "better" team than the best AL record and 8-2 in last 10. :happy:

If the Rangers were in the eastern time zone BSPN would respect them.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1