• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams sign Marcus Roberson - Should've Stayed in School

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Via the Gators fb page Marcus Roberson signed with the Rams! (Loucheiz Purifoy signed with the Colts)

I'm pumped to get another Gator on the Rams, and tbh if he (and Purifoy) stayed in school they could've been Day 1 or 2 picks.

This is a very good signing for the team, Marcus might not contribute much this year but if we work with him for a season, his ceiling is very high, especially with NFL coaching and practice. This will be a "red shirt" season for him, but he has the potential to be a starter for us in 2-3 seasons from now.

But this does bring up the issue of to many players leaving way to early, leaving millions of dollars on the table because an agent gets in their head and convinces them to leave early. I really hope this works out for both us and him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a nice signing with a good chance to stick. It's good to see the Rams didn't stick with guys solely ranked in the 600s, lol. With the amount of depth in this draft, they chose to really dig deep for their UDFAs for the most part, for whatever reason.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like yet another project. Don't we have enough of these?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the Rams did not select Jeffcoat is beyond me when he remained undrafted and he never did get drafted.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering that as well retro... Jeffcoat is in the same boat Sam is though. He is a tweener...

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sports Illustrated NFL draft preview had Roberson going no.57 overall.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kid can play. Not big so we are stacked with smaller CBs, but he's got game. I'm a little shocked at this. Must have been attitude

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From CBS:

STRENGTHS: Good size and length for the position and uses his long arms to disrupt receivers. Fluid movement skills with quick feet and body control to blanket in coverage - smooth hips and balanced transition in bump-and-run.
Good route anticipation and stays patient and controlled, but also the recovery quickness to take chances. Instinctive and alert to make positive plays on the ball. Barely gets lost with a good feel in coverage, understanding when to look for the ball.

Very physical and fearless in coverage and aggressive in pursuit. Works hard to gain ideal body position and knows how to use the sideline. Excellent competitor and won't back down from bigger targets. Experience on special teams as a punt returner. Has worked hard to get stronger in the weight room.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve his discipline in coverage - too much physical contact downfield. Will get lackadaisical at times with his technique and play too tall or get grabby. Has the read/react quickness to click-and-close in a hurry but needs to do it more consistently on underneath throws - will allow his hips to be turned too easily in bail technique.

Needs to consistently wrap to finish hits and break down better in space - lack of strength shows vs. the run.

Durability concerns after battling knee and ankle injuries over his career - missed five games in 2013. Character needs investigated after an alcohol arrest in Sept. 2011 and a one-game suspension in 2013 (vs. South Carolina) for a violation of team rules.

COMPARES TO: Alterraun Verner, CB, Tennessee Titans - Like Verner, Roberson isn't the biggest or fastest, but they both use their length well and use foot quickness and instincts to be effective.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article here for sure. Long. http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2014/5/...2014-nfl-draft

The gators are loaded with talent. Roberson IMO is a product of south Florida talent for football. I will take a south FL HS football player any day like give me a HS basketball player from Chicago.

Wil Muschamp - gators coach is a hot head Defensive coordinator and is a shitty head football coach. He will be fired next year and go back to being a DC somewhere. These kids at FL have had shitty leadership - bottom line.

Roberson was predicted to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but sounds like he needs to get his shit together. He just as good as our 2nd round CB from FSU. Roberson certainly held kelvin Benjamin in check this year.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article indeed SJ76. I suppose Roberson's attitude will get adjusted with Fisher since Fisher seems to think he is a therapist these days. If it works out like Janoris Jenkins and Chris Givens, good for us. But if this goes south with Sam and all. Fisher is going to have one helluva problem.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like the young influx of DBs. Not much size at CB but it will be interesting.

I sure hope they can get it done, but against bigger WRs it's not
Going to be good.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of initial rave reviews about Maurice Alexander who is the same size as McDonald and hits like him. WE could have a pretty good set of Safeties and yep, I do like the influx of corners who hit like mad as well even though they are the reverse smirfs of the Redskins back in the day.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wil Muschamp - gators coach is a hot head Defensive coordinator and is a shitty head football coach. He will be fired next year and go back to being a DC somewhere. These kids at FL have had shitty leadership - bottom line.

Roberson was predicted to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but sounds like he needs to get his shit together. He just as good as our 2nd round CB from FSU. Roberson certainly held kelvin Benjamin in check this year.
I pretty much agree with all of this. Roberson was a little soft, IIRC, but his coverage skills are very good. Him, Gaines and to a lesser extent Joyner are all in the same boat and odds are one of them will be a good player.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The attitudes will need to stay in check with this young group of DBs.

I see a lot of barking on the field that's going to happen, especially with division rivals. Hopefully we don't get ready for flags and inexperience.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep like last year SJ76. Especially the Carolina game which got us a reputation amongst refs even though Steve Smith was baiting a lot of players including Janoris Jenkins. The offensive guard was also talking trash and got inside of C. Long's head and got Long fighting and tossed. Those guys from questionable off-the-field problems are going to hear it and you know folks are going to go after Sam if he makes the roster and it is only get players flagged and thrown out the game.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep like last year SJ76. Especially the Carolina game which got us a reputation amongst refs even though Steve Smith was baiting a lot of players including Janoris Jenkins. The offensive guard was also talking trash and got inside of C. Long's head and got Long fighting and tossed. Those guys from questionable off-the-field problems are going to hear it and you know folks are going to go after Sam if he makes the roster and it is only get players flagged and thrown out the game.
I doubt it will be that bad. Even though we may still be the youngest team in the league this year, we will be starting more veterans than last year.

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the plan why Fisher drafted all those small corners is their quickness to the ball. The front is going to put tons of pressure on the QB with the addition of Donald up the middle. So a lot of hurried throws means those smurfs can recover faster to get to those errant passes. I think the RAMS defense are going to get plenty INT'S this season.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take chili, the Rams front will get pressure no doubt and quickness to the ball matters. Interesting too is that McDonald and Alexander, if he starts are both 6'2" at safety. I think Williams will have a very interesting defensive package for pressure almost every down, so the QB will have to get rid of the ball or go quickly.