• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question - Thoughts

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far we have seen a 'power ourtage' during the playoffs. I didn't realize it since we were/are winning. Sunday's game sort of highlighted the fact. The Cards last three runs were on solo shots. One hit equals one run. We seem to need 2 or 3 hits to score a run these days. We've been really helped by the other team's errors and mis-steps. But that makes me ask a question ...

Some teams are very good at playing small ball and live in the arena but how do they typically fair in the playoffs which tends to be dominated by pitching. I just don't see many of the top pitchers giving up too many hits and especially back to back hits. From my perspective most of these games are won or lost by a team making an error at a very bad time (or taking advantage of that error) or some power hitter taking a ball deep .... we seem to be very much on the taking advantage of some errors .... we've also been hurt by the long ball.

I'm just wondering how a 'small ball' team with decent (not great) pitching typically fairs in the pklayoffs ...

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far we have seen a 'power ourtage' during the playoffs. I didn't realize it since we were/are winning. Sunday's game sort of highlighted the fact. The Cards last three runs were on solo shots. One hit equals one run. We seem to need 2 or 3 hits to score a run these days. We've been really helped by the other team's errors and mis-steps. But that makes me ask a question ...

Some teams are very good at playing small ball and live in the arena but how do they typically fair in the playoffs which tends to be dominated by pitching. I just don't see many of the top pitchers giving up too many hits and especially back to back hits. From my perspective most of these games are won or lost by a team making an error at a very bad time (or taking advantage of that error) or some power hitter taking a ball deep .... we seem to be very much on the taking advantage of some errors .... we've also been hurt by the long ball.

I'm just wondering how a 'small ball' team with decent (not great) pitching typically fairs in the pklayoffs ...

There's your KC Royals right there...they do pretty well.

The playoffs are all about pitching and low scores (generally). So bullpens matter a lot too, and KC's is excellent.

Hitters get their stats facing #4-5 starters on crappy teams all year...in the playoffs it's the best starters (and pens) of the best teams. Pitching dominates for the most part. It's why teams like this year's Angels get knocked out, all those runs don't mean much against the best pitching. It's why everyone picked the Rangers and Tigers to beat us in the WS. It's why the Orioles are on the ropes vs KC.