• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Puzzling Head Coaching hires the last few years

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What have been some head coach hirings / firings that have just made you say:

I'll be the first to admit I thought Mike McCarthy was a bad hire. I was wrong about that one.

Singletary? Duh. From minute 1 that made zero sense --- but thank you so much for paving the way for Harbaugh Mike :)

WAY back in te day, I thought it was dumb the Jags fired Coughlin...

A couple of noodle-scratchers have been Chan Gailey & Marvin Lewis. I thought hiring Chan Gailey is like conceding defeat. And Marvin Lewis deserved a chance, but he is not a good HC IMO. Sure, he's made the playoffs. I have no faith in him. I see him similar to Mooch back in the day. He's making the playoffs, but I'd still fire him (except Mooch was 10X worse).

I thought the Donkeys should've never fired Shannahan.

The DUMBEST one I've seen recently was the Titans firing Jeff Fisher. Thanks for nothing you Titan jerks!!!

Firing Lovie Smith wasn't a good move. Get Cutler an OL, and they're contenders with him.

I thought the Rob Chudzinski & Dennis Allen hires were uninspired. However, who wants to work in Oakland or Cleveland? They're not exactly dream jobs.

Agree or disagree? Or other names come to mind?

Last edited by a moderator:

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just be glad you aren't picking up the tab..............

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm usually pretty good at explaining hires and how I see why they hired them, but there have been some hires that didn't feel good from the get go.

Brad Childress
Romeo Crennel
Jack Del Rio
Herman Edwards (in KC - in NY I didn't have a strong opinion when hired)
Leslie Frazier
Chan Gailey
Dennis Green (in AZ)
Jim Haslett
Mike Mularkey
Pat Shurmur
Mike Tice

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Gatorchip just wants people to see his profile, dislikes the likes so much that he's trying to get it removed by liking everything (making it overused and meaningless), or if he's just one happy camper who likes everything. I've seen a lot of "likes" from him here and other boards on the SportsHoopla'.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rob Chudzinsk hire had me stunned. That's definitely the most shocking hire for me thus far this offseason. At least Chud got himself an OC. Maybe he will be better off now that he can focus his attentions elsewhere.

I also thought the Cardinals pick of Bruce Arians was intersting. He definitely wasn't the top choice for them. It sounds like they settled.

Chip Kelly to the Eagles is the more intriguing story for me. That's going to turn out really bad or really well for them. I haven't decided on which yet, though.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm usually pretty good at explaining hires and how I see why they hired them, but there have been some hires that didn't feel good from the get go.

Brad Childress
Romeo Crennel
Jack Del Rio
Leslie Frazier
Chan Gailey
Dennis Green (in AZ)
Jim Haslett
Mike Mularkey
Pat Shurmur
Mike Tice

Great call on Crennel. BOTH times he was a HC was weird to me.

I didn't like the Frazier hire either. And Herm Edwards? It was clear REALLY quickly that he should not be a HC. Mike Tice was about as uninspired as it gets. It's pretty much a good rule of thumb to never hire an interm head coach to be a full-time HC (see Singletary).

By the way, the HC hire announcement that pissed me off more than any other I've ever heard was Jim Harbaugh to the Dolphins. :) 2nd on that list, at least recently, has to be Fisher to the Lambs. :(

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing Marty S getting the can from San Diego still irks me then see them steal our Norv at that time really peeved me off.

The last 3-4 HCs in Oakland made me numb...

Shurman, Rivera, This Trestman(chicago's new hc) were and still eh? type moves to me.

Seeing Lovie getting booted made no sense to me, i heard/read the facts but i don't agree that should've been the dealbreaker. He had no OL and an often injured Cutler, plus they JUST got a real WR...

Mike Nolan.... screw him.... and that Erikson back in the day, what the f********

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Gatorchip just wants people to see his profile, dislikes the likes so much that he's trying to get it removed by liking everything (making it overused and meaningless), or if he's just one happy camper who likes everything. I've seen a lot of "likes" from him here and other boards on the SportsHoopla'.

Gatorchip has beautiful labia and a pristine hymen.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing Marty S getting the can from San Diego still irks me then see them steal our Norv at that time really peeved me off.

Shurman, Rivera, This Trestman(chicago's new hc) were and still eh? type moves to me.

Seeing Lovie getting booted made no sense to me, i heard/read the facts but i don't agree that should've been the dealbreaker. He had no OL and an often injured Cutler, plus they JUST got a real WR...

Mike Nolan.... screw him.... and that Erikson back in the day, what the f********

Dennis Erickson was a move by the 49ers that made no sense. He was unable to turn the Seahawks around, so why in the world would the 49ers think that he could do anything with the mess they were in... the only thing that comes to mind is that maybe nobody else wanted the job. Didn't that coaching search for the 49ers go on for a very long time?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I didn't have a problem with Marty getting canned, but I had a problem with the guy who replaced him. Don't fire a decent HC if you're just gonna hire a worse one.

I can't think of a good HC hire they've made since Jon Gruden.

The Erickson hire wasn't even trying. I was happy with the Mike Nolan hire; I gave him a chance. I thought he seemed like a guy who could do some nice things. However, it didn't take long to realize he was full of crap.

By the way, the worst HC hire the Niners ever made by far: Mooch.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't have a problem with Marty getting canned, but I had a problem with the guy who replaced him. Don't fire a decent HC if you're just gonna hire a worse one.

I can't think of a good HC hire they've made since Jon Gruden.

The Erickson hire wasn't even trying. I was happy with the Mike Nolan hire; I gave him a chance. I thought he seemed like a guy who could do some nice things. However, it didn't take long to realize he was full of crap.

By the way, the worst HC hire the Niners ever made by far: Mooch.

even worst than Singletary???

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Brad Childress
Romeo Crennel
Jack Del Rio
Leslie Frazier
Chan Gailey
Dennis Green (in AZ)
Jim Haslett
Mike Mularkey
Pat Shurmur
Mike Tice

What about Saparano (sp?)?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
even worst than Singletary???

Absolutely. Singletary isn't even good enough to be a coordinator. He was so bad, it was only a matter of time before he got fired. And he didn't have that good of a team to screw up.

Mooch inhereted a great team, and he was a complete goober. You don't hand a great team over to a guy like that. He showed how good of a coach he was in Detroit when he didn't have a great team to prop him up. What a waste!

Harbaugh, on the other hand, inhereted a pretty good team and made it great. The 2nd bggest difference was Aldon Smith, but the biggest was Harbaugh.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What about Saparano (sp?)?

Tony Sparano. I actually never have and didn't find him to be THAT bad. I don't see big time disaster potential with him as HC. I like some things about him as a coach overall. I don't ever see myself rooting for him to become HC of the 49ers, but that one wasn't "puzzling" to me.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What have been some head coach hirings / firings that have just made you say:

I'll be the first to admit I thought Mike McCarthy was a bad hire. I was wrong about that one.

Singletary? Duh. From minute 1 that made zero sense --- but thank you so much for paving the way for Harbaugh Mike :)

WAY back in te day, I thought it was dumb the Jags fired Coughlin...

A couple of noodle-scratchers have been Chan Gailey & Marvin Lewis. I thought hiring Chan Gailey is like conceding defeat. And Marvin Lewis deserved a chance, but he is not a good HC IMO. Sure, he's made the playoffs. I have no faith in him. I see him similar to Mooch back in the day. He's making the playoffs, but I'd still fire him (except Mooch was 10X worse).

I thought the Donkeys should've never fired Shannahan.

The DUMBEST one I've seen recently was the Titans firing Jeff Fisher. Thanks for nothing you Titan jerks!!!

Firing Lovie Smith wasn't a good move. Get Cutler an OL, and they're contenders with him.

I thought the Rob Chudzinski & Dennis Allen hires were uninspired. However, who wants to work in Oakland or Cleveland? They're not exactly dream jobs.

Agree or disagree? Or other names come to mind?

Everything the Raiders have done since hiring Gruden was nonsensical, including allowing Gruden to go to Tampa Bay. Everything the Cowboys have done since firing JJ was nonsensical.

The biggest head scratchers outside of those organizations are why Belichick's coaching tree keeps getting jobs despite their collective inability to coach. At least the Walsh tree produced coaches who could win super bowls.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Trestman hire was exactly the kind of guy (in general) that I would go after. 5 years as a HC and at a high level with 2 trophies. Going from assistant coach to HC is a huge leap, and many do not have what it takes. Seen it twice here recently, right?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the best one have been taken. Firing Lovie was pretty dumb IMO. Crennel, Dennis Erickson, Nolan, Singletary, Gus Bradley, Chan Gailey, Mike Tice.