• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prospect Stuff

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway with Polanco I was thinking the worst case scenario if McCutchen gets hurt do we see him this year?

I kind of doubt it, but I was surprised they moved him to quick to AA. If they were completely bereft of talent at AAA I think it would be more likely, but Presley and Lambo are still semi interesting.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah good point. Honestly I keep forgetting about Lambo.

As for Presley there is no reason he isn't in the majors right now over Snider.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i llike what mercer is doing and is much cheaper than the alexei from the white sox that was proposed earlier. he has surprisingly to me, stepped it up from what he showed last year. nice unexpected pop in his bat in limited action. also, interesting to hear the other nite that he was the closer at OK State. shows some mental approach and toughness i would think. should help with hitting strategy and pitch anticipation as well.

regarding rios, not a very big fan. hi potential highly unrealized. will he revert back or keep up average production. i would want to see if it is meaningless production (my guess) or production in higher leverage or clutch situations.
either way, it is a lot of money and we should not give up any prospects unless they pay 80%. i would still not give up polanco or any top prospect. taking the salary dump from them should be gratious enough and give them a minimal prospect for every 3M they pay of his salary this year and next.
ie, if they pay 6M, give them A or AA average prospects. none of our top 20 or recent drafts. something like that.

let t sanchez play this year. mcK is done and sancchez is producing.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i llike what mercer is doing and is much cheaper than the alexei from the white sox that was proposed earlier. he has surprisingly to me, stepped it up from what he showed last year. nice unexpected pop in his bat in limited action. also, interesting to hear the other nite that he was the closer at OK State. shows some mental approach and toughness i would think. should help with hitting strategy and pitch anticipation as well.

regarding rios, not a very big fan. hi potential highly unrealized. will he revert back or keep up average production. i would want to see if it is meaningless production (my guess) or production in higher leverage or clutch situations.
either way, it is a lot of money and we should not give up any prospects unless they pay 80%. i would still not give up polanco or any top prospect. taking the salary dump from them should be gratious enough and give them a minimal prospect for every 3M they pay of his salary this year and next.
ie, if they pay 6M, give them A or AA average prospects. none of our top 20 or recent drafts. something like that.

let t sanchez play this year. mcK is done and sancchez is producing.

Same here and now for an interesting trade chip....What if they got a SS and used Walker in a package, then moved Mercer to 2B?

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ibwould not consider SS a position of need. I would consider our biggest needs as being a pitcher then a couple platoon RH bats to play against lefties in RF and at 2B. Walker and Tabata hit RH pitching well enough, neither can hit LH pitching very well though. Lambo, whom I believe needs a chance soon, also shows platoon splits, thought not as badly as Tabata or Snider.

As for Rios, I think that over the last month he is hitting about .170, I would definitely look for production elsewhere, regardless of how much CWS pick up of his salary and what prospects we were to give up. As a matter of fact, outside of Chris Sale I don't think there is anyone on CWS I would be interrested in.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ddd, interesting point.
i thought we should have sold hi on walker after the 11 campaign.
unfortunately, he has a hard time staying healthy and there is something about his approach that just doesnt sit well. he has done a nice job adapting to 2B but is limited. he also has troubles staying healthy for any period of time it seems.
i would be OK with packaging him if when to significantly upgrade another need or when we have a reasonable replacement available.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alderson is officially gone.

Pirates, O's Swap Russ Canzler, Tim Alderson: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Not sure I get the deal because Alderson could have been used in a bigger deal but just AAA roster depth with my only assumption that someone is being recalled and one of the useless bench players is on the way out?

alderson only 24 and doing a good job at AAA and getting back a 27 yo who is doing mediocre at AAA.
pitching is scarce around the league and alderson was a good BP option as depth in a deal for more i believe.
not a major move, but i dont like this kind of thinking or acquisition.

should give dejesus, lambo, or pie a try before trading some of our chips for nothing.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the details on this one and am equally confused.

26 elroy face

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Canzler can play 3 positions, and hits lefties, and I believe Alderson becomes a free agent at the end of season. There was no way the Pirates were going to add him to the 40 man roster.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Canzler can play 3 positions, and hits lefties, and I believe Alderson becomes a free agent at the end of season. There was no way the Pirates were going to add him to the 40 man roster.

Correction.....Canzler, throughout his career, absolutely destroys LHP and he can play coner infield and corner outfield positions. Alderson was of little value to us since he was about the 5th bullpen option to be called up and was not going to with us beyond this season. We got somone that actually has a chance to help us since we have exactly 1 platoon player that can hit LHP, and we need 4 with our current makeup.

Alderson would have been rule 5 eligible this year, had no real place in our organization, but now has a chance to help the O's at the big league level. They need bullpen help and we need platoon players that can hit lefties. This trade has a chance to help both teams, but the most likely scenario would be that it does nothing for either.

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I don't mind the deal, impact going out and coming in is minor, but Canzler fits the org need more. Alderson was a middle reliever if everything worked out.

26 elroy face

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Correction.....Canzler, throughout his career, absolutely destroys LHP and he can play coner infield and corner outfield positions. Alderson was of little value to us since he was about the 5th bullpen option to be called up and was not going to with us beyond this season. We got somone that actually has a chance to help us since we have exactly 1 platoon player that can hit LHP, and we need 4 with our current makeup.

Alderson would have been rule 5 eligible this year, had no real place in our organization, but now has a chance to help the O's at the big league level. They need bullpen help and we need platoon players that can hit lefties. This trade has a chance to help both teams, but the most likely scenario would be that it does nothing for either.

What are you correcting?

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thanks all for the rule 5 info about alderson. confidence in the regime with regards to this trade making sense is restored. interesting how my knee jerk reaction to the pirate leadership is still skeptical after 20 years of relative ineptness and crappy decisions. i guess old habits are hard to break.

makes me wonder on the list if it is worth giving dejesus and lambo a try to see if they can replace snider and harrison or they can audition to be more attractive trade bait as we offer quantity for a quality option either for short term or long term piece to our championship puzzle.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks all for the rule 5 info about alderson. confidence in the regime with regards to this trade making sense is restored. interesting how my knee jerk reaction to the pirate leadership is still skeptical after 20 years of relative ineptness and crappy decisions. i guess old habits are hard to break.

makes me wonder on the list if it is worth giving dejesus and lambo a try to see if they can replace snider and harrison or they can audition to be more attractive trade bait as we offer quantity for a quality option either for short term or long term piece to our championship puzzle.

Same here now the deal makes sense to me, Thanks.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posed by an ESPN writer today.....Lee has 2+ years left on his deal at 24 million per. A top 50 prospect, and two high upside wild cards that are both 18 year olds playing full season ball, ie at least two years younger than most of the other players in the league.

Trade No. 1: Pittsburgh Pirates acquire pitcher Cliff Lee from the Philadelphia Phillies for shortstop Alen Hanson, pitcher Luis Heredia and second baseman Dilson Herrera

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From KLaw chat today, lots of Pirate Q's

Jim (Hartford, CT)

How close was Tyler Glasnow to making the list?
Klaw
(1:06 PM)

Next fifty. Plus-plus fastball, avg CB/SL. Probably a starter, but secondary isn't good enough to lock that in.
Jon (Fla.)

Can you elaborate any on the negative reports you've heard on Josh Bell?
Klaw
(1:18 PM)

Summarizing ... power before hit, bad RH swing, LF only, questions about effort level.

Tim (Pittsburgh)

Could Vic Black be a closer in the majors?
Klaw
(1:33 PM)

With that awful delivery, he may never have the command.

TiM (Pittsburgh)

Is Heredia a top 100 prospect?
Klaw
(1:47 PM)

No.

Matt (PA)

I've seen some articles discussing a Stanton trade to the Pirates, the articles go both ways on it being a good idea to give up Tailon. Should Tailon be untouchable? How good can he be as a comparison to a current MLB pitcher?
Klaw
(2:13 PM)

I'd give him up for Stanton.