• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Price to Red Sox

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS : I was 'free to pursue opportunities elsewhere' about 16 months after the second 'discretionary bonus' discussion - the VP didn't appreciate being told he could either reward my guys or eventually lose them. One year later, about 60% of my old team was working with me at my new employer.
So basically, you AND all your guys ended up walking to another employer who compensated you better for the work you were doing.

Glad we agree.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the question was "how many of YOU have walked away from money from your employer" (and I think that was one of the questions), then it is dead-on.
You did it as a management decision. Totally different situation.

It wasnt like your employer offered you $X, but you decided to take $X-$Y just because. You decided to take $Y out of your check in order to get your guys $$.

To put it a blunt, bad way (and I am not saying this was your thought process), you decided to purchase good will with that $Y. YOU still decided where it went.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, the other response is "yes, I'm not a fucking greedy prick".
I never accused you, or anyone, of being a greedy prick. Signing a contract, with a perfectly willing and able other party is not being greedy. Further, executing a clause of said contract is not greedy either. You are simply acting as expected at the time it was signed.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically, you AND all your guys ended up walking to another employer who compensated you better for the work you were doing.

Glad we agree.

Actually, not. I lost $$$$$$$$$ in options. They followed me because they hated their new boss.

Last edited:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never accused you, or anyone, of being a greedy prick. Signing a contract, with a perfectly willing and able other party is not being greedy. Further, executing a clause of said contract is not greedy either. You are simply acting as expected at the time it was signed.

No, my point isn't that YOU said anything, that wasn't what I was trying to say, but that I think Greinke is a greedy prick (and I'm not). I have enough to live the rest of my life comfortably, without having to pile on millions. I don't need a private airplane or chauffeur, I don't need a $20M house. I'm happy with my 'normal' lifestyle. (I've been retired for over 8 years now, and haven't even hit 55.)

Annulling a contract so that you can pick up more than the $50M or $90M you are guaranteed makes you a greedy prick.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have preferred Price over Greinke, due mainly to the loss of a pick with Greinke. However, I'm still of the opinion that a big name free agent pitcher would be a mistake. Not sure what to think about that opt out clause. If Price excels, the Red Sox could well get off the hook if the back end of that deal sours from lack of production but if Price stinks for a year or two, then they get the whole deal and hope he improves at the back side of the deal. I don't think 7 year deals for pitchers ever turn out well.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly hope so.

If the Dodgers are offering 6/210, then forget it. I'd rather offer Cueto 6/140, or in that neighborhood. I'm willing to overbid a little if we can afford it. It's all about Teh Window.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't believe the hype all we are doing is making the Dodgers spend more money on him.

Not the worst thing in the world. The Giants are certainly bidding, but if they keep getting LA to up their offer to where he eventually signs a deal that out-bids Price's, then fine. They can pay 2 pitchers $70M a year.