• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pretty cool flyover planned for UM vs. Utah this Saturday

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the flyover and celebration of the academic program are both pretty damned bitchin'.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In celebration of the 100th year of our Aerospace department:

An epic air show with 15 planes and helicopters will take place in the skies above Michigan Stadium before Saturday's (Sept. 20) University of Michigan football game against Utah.

The pregame flyover will celebrate the 100th anniversary of the University of Michigan Department of Aerospace Engineering -- the oldest aeronautical engineering education program in the United States. The event, organized by the aerospace engineering department, will showcase the evolution of aviation. It will begin at approximately 3:15 p.m. and will feature these aircraft:

Boeing Stearman PT-17A: 1930's Military trainer. This airplane was used extensively to train US pilots to fly for WWII. Approximately 8,000 were built at a cost of $11,000 per unit. The pilot will be Christopher Dacson.
North American Aviation P-51D Mustang: Owned by Jack Roush, this airplane carries the authentic paint scheme of Jim Browning, who flew with the 357th Fighter Group in WWII. The pilot will be Connie Bowlin.
North American Aviation F-86F Sabre Jet: This aircraft weighs five tons empty and has a max speed of 650 mph. The pilot will be Paul Wood.
air-show-091814_772.jpg

F-86F Sabre Jet (left) and P-51D Mustang
Boeing B-17: This airplane weighs 18 tons and was THE heavy bomber used in WWII. The pilot will be Jon Rule from the Yankee Air Museum.
North American Aviation B-25 Mitchell Bomber: This aircraft was named after Gen. Billy Mitchell who led a group of 16 B-25's on the first attach of the Japanese homeland after being launched from the U.S. Hornet aircraft carrier. Pilot will be Delane Buttacavolli from the Yankee Air Museum.
North American Aviation F-100F Super Sabre: This aircraft weighs 10 tons and its Pratt and Whitney engine produces 16,000 pounds of thrust in afterburner mode which can propel the aircraft to supersonic speeds. The aircraft in Saturday's flyover is the last F-100 Super Sabre flying on the planet. The pilot will be Dean Cutshall.
Lockheed Electra: This is the aircraft Amelia Earhart flew in her around-the-world flight attempt. The airplane in Saturday's flyover was used in the movie "Amelia" starring Hillary Swank. The pilot will be Joe Sheppard.
Five Beechcraft T-34's: Military aircraft trainers will be flown in formation on Saturday. The lead pilot will be Russell McDonald.
University of Michigan Survival Flight Eurocopter EC-155: Two of these helicopters are on duty 24 hours a day. The pilot will be Thomas Sherony.
Enstrom 408B: This craft is a turbine powered helicopter. The Enstrom Helicopter is a true "Pure Michigan" example since it is designed, developed and built in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The pilot will be William Taylor, an aerospace engineering grad from 1980.
North American Aviation F-86F Sabre Jet: This aircraft weighs five tons empty and has a max speed of 650 mph. The pilot will be Paul Wood.
McMahon Helicopter Sikorsky Heavy Lift Model S58T: The pilot will be Nick McMahon.
air-show-1-091814_772.jpg

B-25 Mitchell Bomber (left) and Boeing Stearman PT-17A

The announcer for the pregame flyover will be Capt. James Mynning, a professional air show announcer and commercial pilot, who was born in Ann Arbor and has been a lifelong Michigan resident.

Mynning is a retired United Airlines captain and in 1974 he was named United Airlines Pilot of the Year for safely landing a 737 with a dangling engine without injury to passengers or crew. He was the only one of 5,000 United pilots to receive the award that year.

Bo Schembechler personally requested Mynning to be the DC10 Captain when United Airlines was chartered to fly the Wolverines to various games.

I'm hoping someone films this and puts it on utube or something.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
• North American Aviation B-25 Mitchell Bomber: This aircraft was named after Gen. Billy Mitchell who led a group of 16 B-25's on the first attach of the Japanese homeland after being launched from the U.S. Hornet aircraft carrier. Pilot will be Delane Buttacavolli from the Yankee Air Museum.

It was led by Jimmy Dolittle, not Mitchell. Mitchell was actually court martialed and died in 1936 before the war. They are correct the plane was named after him, the only plane to be named after a person.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yup, Doolittle let the raid. Before the war, flew the dangerous Gee Bee at Cleveland National Air Race, setting speed record. Also had aeronautical engineering degree, think from MIT, and also helped the push for high octane fuel, which gave America an advantage in WWII aircraft performance. After the raid on Japan (which was considered almost a suicide mission), became the general of the Eighth Air Force in Europe.

He was just a badass. His biography is one of my favorite books.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was led by Jimmy Dolittle, not Mitchell. Mitchell was actually court martialed and died in 1936 before the war. They are correct the plane was named after him, the only plane to be named after a person.

I am really embarrassed that I didn't catch this. My grandpa would be ashamed. He raised me better than that :L

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Brandon has done some things well, now if only he didn't fuck up the student tickets. :L

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully they televise it. I'd imagine most people find it interesting.

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flyover at the 2009 Navy - tOSU game scared the shit out of me...

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to get Obama to don his superman cape and fly over Jerry World for the next cowboys home game.

Start up funding not going well so far. :pout:

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to get Obama to don his superman cape and fly over Jerry World for the next cowboys home game.

Start up funding not going well so far. :pout:

Hes too busy ordering another nobel on ebay right now.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
davis.jpg

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The government is throwing a fly-in-the-ointment with the flyover festivities tomorrow in Ann Arbor, as the FAA will not allow the game ball to be flown-in via drone aircraft.

FAA won't allow Michigan to deliver game ball with unmanned drone - CBSSports.com

:lame:

Might be lame, but it is done for a reason. The FAA has yet to release regulations regarding drones anywhere near sports arenas due to them being unmanned. They have how many aircraft flying over? Have the last one be a bomber with the ball on a parachute or a paratrooper bring it directly to the 50 yd line. To me that would be much cooler.