• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Practice Squad

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General discussion on possible practice squad targets. Signing news as it gets out there.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From our cuts I like Chris Greenwood, George Winn, Micheal Willams, Rodney Austin, Mohammed Seisay, Nate Ness, Aaron Hester, Jonte Green, Chad Abram, Juian Stanford, Michael Egnew, Jordan Thompson, Jimmy Saddler-McQueen, Xavier Proctor, Andrew Peacock, and Darren Keyton as the leaders to return on the p-squad.

Obviously all these guys won't/can't make it, but I think these name will make up the bulk of it, with a few players from other team's cuts mixed in as well.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got Winn, and Williams. Those were the two I was most hoping to clear waivers. Also Peacock and Austin.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Birket tweeted that Rodney Austin has signed to the p-squad.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. So far so good. Nate Ness looked good at safety. I'd like to see him back.

Wouldn't Leshoure be available under the new rules?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to get a young QB as well. Tajh Boyd, Matt Scott, or even Pryor, whom everyone but me realizes how much he sucks, would be good options.

I'll agree with the overwhelming majority who felt he wasn't worth a roster spot. But if he goes un-claimed and we can get him on the p-squad he'd be a great practice tool.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's P squad eligible hell yeah. I am for adding Pryor, just not at the expense of a spot at another position. I'd gladly exchange him for Orlobsky.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peacock and Winn is who I was hoping for. Winn really played as well as our other backs. Maybe even better than Riddick. Surprised no one tried to get him, although anyone can be signed off the PS at any time is my understanding.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to get a young QB as well. Tajh Boyd, Matt Scott, or even Pryor, whom everyone but me realizes how much he sucks, would be good options.

I'll agree with the overwhelming majority who felt he wasn't worth a roster spot. But if he goes un-claimed and we can get him on the p-squad he'd be a great practice tool.

I have not looked at new PS rules.

Is there still a minimum game played requirement? Use to be 9 games on a 53 man roster and think Pryor will not qualify if so.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signed 10

Micheal Williams OT
Rodney Austin OG
George Winn RB
Andrew Peacock WR
Mohammad Seisay CB
Jordan Thompson TE
Emil Igwenagu FB
Julian Stanford LB
Nate Ness S
Xavier Proctor DT

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should scream that there's a TE, but I'm glad Jordan Thompson is there.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will read myself.

NFL practice squad rules, everything you need to know - SBNation.com

Seems the rules are same just went to 10 guys.

Pryor played over 9 games for Oakland so no soup for you.

I'm not 100% sure that article is accurate. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they changed the amount of games a player must be on the practice squad in order to constitute a season, and that there was special rules for those two new spots allowing players with two seasons or less of experience on there.

I'll have to dig up what I read again...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also glad to see Siesay and Proctor. Both played well when they were out there. I did not even know Seisay was waived.

FamineGod

Affectedly Disingenuous
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious why there's been so much talk and hope about PS players all of a sudden. Have there been a good number of former PS players who have gone on to become productive NFL players all of a sudden...not just for the Lions but for other teams?

What gives? :noidea:

And I'm not against people talking about it. I just don't understand the fascination by it. Is it merely a product of the NFL and social media?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious why there's been so much talk and hope about PS players all of a sudden. Have there been a good number of former PS players who have gone on to become productive NFL players all of a sudden...not just for the Lions but for other teams?

And I'm not against people talking about it. I just don't understand the fascination by it. Is it merely a product of the NFL and social media?

Read an article and it stated that Wes Welker and Victor Cruz were once PS members. Their careers have done pretty well so far.

It doesn't happen often, but I think the idea of potentially having guys on a PS eventually perform well in the NFL is enticing enough. There's even talk about starting an NFL Developmental league.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We held a 3 page debate on whether Roary blew out Jammal Charles' ACL or not?

This thread gets at least 4 pages barring any sightings of squirrels.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an article and it stated that Wes Welker and Victor Cruz were once PS members. Their careers have done pretty well so far.

It doesn't happen often, but I think the idea of potentially having guys on a PS eventually perform well in the NFL is enticing enough. There's even talk about starting an NFL Developmental league.

Never really watched it much, or did not pay attention as much. There were decent guys with good to decent careers that started in NFL Europe.

There has to be some decent profit involved before Goodell pulls the trigger though.

FamineGod

Affectedly Disingenuous
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Per his wiki page, Welker never spent any time on a PS.
Welker, who was not drafted during the 2004 NFL Draft, signed as an undrafted free agent with the San Diego Chargers. Welker made the Chargers out of training camp, but was released after the first game of the season when the Chargers claimed safety Clinton Hart off waivers. Head coach Marty Schottenheimer later acknowledged that in terms of roster cuts, releasing Wes Welker was the "biggest mistake [he] ever made."[10]

After the Chargers released Welker, he passed through waivers. Although the Chargers offered him a slot on their practice squad, Welker chose to sign with the Miami Dolphins instead, where he was mostly used on special teams

Per his wiki page, Cruz also never spent any time on a PS.
Cruz went undrafted in the 2010 NFL Draft and was signed the day after the draft by the New York Giants.

In a preseason game against the New York Jets on August 16, 2010, Cruz helped the Giants win 31-16 by catching 6 passes for 145 yards and 3 touchdowns. He would finish the preseason leading the NFL with 297 receiving yards, tied for the preseason lead with 4 touchdown catches, and was selected to the Giants' 53-man regular season roster.

I just don't think you are going to find an instance where a guy is brought up from the PS halfway through the season to become a good player. Instead, he may spend all season on the PS, and then do well enough the following season in TC to make the 53 man roster and contribute from there.