• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players test positive for COVID at Djokovic event

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two Tennis Players Test Positive For Covid-19 At Djokovic Tournament

With international tennis suspended due to the pandemic, Djokovic had organised the Adria Tour as a charity event to be contested over four legs in Serbia and Croatia. The tournament had drawn large crowds who packed the stands during the opening leg in Belgrade. The players were not obliged to observe social distancing rules as both Serbia and Croatia began easing lockdown measures weeks before the event.

KEY FACTS
The finals of the tournament, which had been scheduled for Sunday, was cancelled after the 19th-ranked Dimitrov — who lost to world No. 33 Coric on Saturday — revealed in an Instagram post that he had tested positive for Covid-19 in Monaco.

Coric later announced on Twitter that he had also tested positive and requested anyone who had been in close contact with him to get tested.

Djokovic's fitness coach, Marco Panichi, and Dimitrov’s coach, Christian Groh, also reportedly tested positive for the virus, Tennis.com reported, citing sources.

Alexander Zverev who had also participated in the tournament tweeted that he had tested negative but apologized for potentially putting others “at risk by playing this tour.”

The tournament had drawn criticism for hosting thousands of fans in packed stadiums, in its first leg in Belgrade, without proper safety precautions and allowing players to come in close contact by hugging and exchanging high fives on the court.

Djokovic, who has returned to his home country of Serbia, had yet to be tested as of Monday morning, The Telegraph reported, citing the top star’s representatives.

sportingly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wpw. I heard this bad news yesterday and I hate to hear this. I hope all of the players are okay.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like they were partying and all that throughout, which is how it started spreading.

they were not being very responsible.

sportingly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't heard how it started, but I hope they weren't partying, if so that is bad having all of that contact wouldn't be good at all.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should ban them from the French Open. That will teach them. ;)

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like they were partying and all that throughout, which is how it started spreading.

they were not being very responsible.
Partying is definitely out. Here they have opened the retail side of things as well as restaurants however bars will remain firmly locked for some time to come. I've even hear some banter about bars staying closed until there's a vaccine. I guess if that happens there won't be any bars left to open and we'll have to start all over. Our summer tourism is fucking dead!