• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies Tidbits.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sizemore played while Brown sat on bench. There are two reasons. The first being that Brown had a sore throat and did not feel well. The 2nd reason is that they had to bring Sizemore up according to the contract he made with the Phillies. He must be kept on the Phillies now or they will have to release him. Moral of the story: a very convenient sore throat by Brown. Ryan Howard is hitting just .114 for the month of July. One wonders why Howard can't regain some of his old form. Two things to consider: he will never overcome his past injuries completely or he needs glasses! This Byrd will fly! The mariners want Marlon. The Mariners are in the race and Byrd fits their need. The Phillies will want someone in return who can hit above .270. Does Seattle have a high level minor leaguer that they will cut loose? Last but not least. Cliff Lee will return to the Phillies rotation on July 21st, will he be auditioning for a future team? I think so!

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checked the Mariners prospects. I could only find one worth trading for. His name is Ty Kelly. He plays 2nd and 3rd but has been seeing some time in the outfield. His current OBP is .403 and he has a lifetime OBP of .390 in the minors. Average power and decent fielder but no information about arm strength. This is the best value available in my opinion.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bad deal for the Phillies. We should keep Byrd. If this Kelly has an outfield arm I'd reconsider but not now with how fragile our offense is.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a bad deal for the Phillies. We should keep Byrd. If this Kelly has an outfield arm I'd reconsider but not now with how fragile our offense is.

Just heard that the mariners want to give Amaro Dustin Ackley for Byrd. He is pure garbage. He plays 2nd base and has no power or speed. He is hitting .225 and has a poor OBP. I am hoping that Amaros stupid days are over.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Northeast. I hope Amaro doesn't bite because teams get it that Amaro can be had. Seattle doesn't have anybody (they want to give up) that would justify trading Byrd and we need his offense and his outfield arm. If Seattle wants him, they will probably have to involve a third team. Right now, we should keep Byrd and damper the trade talk!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one I saw said Byrd and Brown for Ackley and two or three prospects.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one I saw said Byrd and Brown for Ackley and two or three prospects.

As long as Ty Kelly is one of those prospects. If not all the Phillies will get is pure crap. Tired of the gambling aspect with guys who might be good one day. They need to get at least one guy who is major league ready.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Ty Kelly is one of those prospects. If not all the Phillies will get is pure crap. Tired of the gambling aspect with guys who might be good one day. They need to get at least one guy who is major league ready.

Yeah, I guess if you trade both those guys you'd need someone major league ready, but really if you can get a couple guys that are a year or two away for Byrd I don't see why you'd hang onto him. I heard a couple other teams like maybe the Royals are also interested in him. They have to just see who has the best offer. But if anyone is offering anything decent it would be ridiculous not to trade him

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess if you trade both those guys you'd need someone major league ready, but really if you can get a couple guys that are a year or two away for Byrd I don't see why you'd hang onto him. I heard a couple other teams like maybe the Royals are also interested in him. They have to just see who has the best offer. But if anyone is offering anything decent it would be ridiculous not to trade him

The key word is decent. With Amaro at the helm I can't see that happening.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key word is decent. With Amaro at the helm I can't see that happening.

I agree but if the trade deadline passes and the Phillies are 10 games under .500 I would be more disappointed if they kept Marlon Byrd than if they traded him for something that didn't seem that good. Nothing against Byrd, he has been better than expected this year, I just think it makes no sense to keep him on a losing team if they can get anything at all. The same goes for Papelbon. A lot of the other guys aren't that easy to move but several teams are looking for a right handed hitter with some power and Byrd is hitting some homers in a year where power numbers are way down.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but if the trade deadline passes and the Phillies are 10 games under .500 I would be more disappointed if they kept Marlon Byrd than if they traded him for something that didn't seem that good. Nothing against Byrd, he has been better than expected this year, I just think it makes no sense to keep him on a losing team if they can get anything at all. The same goes for Papelbon. A lot of the other guys aren't that easy to move but several teams are looking for a right handed hitter with some power and Byrd is hitting some homers in a year where power numbers are way down.

No question that Byrd can bring us something. But will Amaro focus on getting guys who get on base? Amaro is scary on his lack of common sense. We have a guy in Reading (Alonzo) that knows how to get on base. Trade for a couple of other guys that can do that and in two years we could be playing for a pennant.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trading Byrd would be... what do they call that? Downright retarded.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No question that Byrd can bring us something. But will Amaro focus on getting guys who get on base? Amaro is scary on his lack of common sense. We have a guy in Reading (Alonzo) that knows how to get on base. Trade for a couple of other guys that can do that and in two years we could be playing for a pennant.

Alonso is 26 1/2 and he's still at reading. Does that tell you anything?

Macho Row

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy now...our play by play guy, Retro, thinks we should keep byrd.

I agree with him. Let him walk at the end of the year instead striking while the iron is hot and possibly taking advantage of a desperate team.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alonso is 26 1/2 and he's still at reading. Does that tell you anything?

He has only played 4 years in the minors. He will probably get a spring training invite. He gets on base. He could be a future utility type player. Besides, Amaro likes to bring them up when they are older!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bolded part Cedrique suggests we are just giving away a player just to give away a player. Really anything at all? What is out there that is going to make us a better baseball team in the long-term that we can get with a trade for Byrd that is better than we now have with Byrd?

Northeast has provided a number of scenarios none of which make us a better baseball team in the long-run. In essence we are trading Byrd just to move Byrd and if we don't do that we are retarded? And Westcoast, you're stating the same thing with again no scenario that is worth moving Byrd for and your best response is to poke fun at something I do when I have already stated that you can join any time and enlighten us with your extensive baseball powers of observation. No you'd rather throw sophomorish little quips about posting during a game. What a joke.