• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies Dodgers Gamethread Monday.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JRol singles 2 runs in off of Gomez. 9-7 LA. Good night! It's 1:35 AM. Maybe Lardass will save us in the 8th.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess it was not to be. So much for July's power binge. Howard and Brown each had an opportunity to hit a three run homer in the 8th and 9th. wtf.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably Revere and Frenchy. Herrera would take over in center. Plus Altherr is developing at Lehigh. Revere is our best trade chip for now. Can't get much for Paps. Hamels could get get us a minor leaguer with promise. After that we have little to offer since some guys are untouchable.
If they swing deals for Hamels and Papelbon they will most certainly get multiple starting pitchers, just not necessarily major league ready (especially if they kick in some money, which they absolutely should do). But if you're saying they should try and get an established major leaguer at this year's trade deadline you are crazy. For one,the teams trading away an established starter are not going to be looking for Frenchy and two they are probably going to be trading guys on the last year of an expensive contract. I think they are doing the right thing rolling with these veterans on one year contracts this year (unless some team comes calling for an Aaron Harang and offers prospects). Then next year, or maybe September of this year start working in some younger starters, probably Nola first because he seems ready to pitch at any level.

Also, they are 28-57 with a farm system paper thin in position players--how many "untouchables" can they possibly have? For me it is Nola and Crawford. I'm thinking it would be hard to get enough value for them because any team they were trading with would assume the Phillies knew something about them. Plus they could be two recent draft picks that made a quick climb to the majors that the fans in Reading and the other minor league cities could follow as the "new core". But anyone on the major league team I'm open to trading if the right deal came along.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess it was not to be. So much for July's power binge. Howard and Brown each had an opportunity to hit a three run homer in the 8th and 9th. wtf.
Chance for power Tuesday night. Ruf and Frenchy should be in the lineup. We are facing a lefty.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they swing deals for Hamels and Papelbon they will most certainly get multiple starting pitchers, just not necessarily major league ready (especially if they kick in some money, which they absolutely should do). But if you're saying they should try and get an established major leaguer at this year's trade deadline you are crazy. For one,the teams trading away an established starter are not going to be looking for Frenchy and two they are probably going to be trading guys on the last year of an expensive contract. I think they are doing the right thing rolling with these veterans on one year contracts this year (unless some team comes calling for an Aaron Harang and offers prospects). Then next year, or maybe September of this year start working in some younger starters, probably Nola first because he seems ready to pitch at any level.

Also, they are 28-57 with a farm system paper thin in position players--how many "untouchables" can they possibly have? For me it is Nola and Crawford. I'm thinking it would be hard to get enough value for them because any team they were trading with would assume the Phillies knew something about them. Plus they could be two recent draft picks that made a quick climb to the majors that the fans in Reading and the other minor league cities could follow as the "new core". But anyone on the major league team I'm open to trading if the right deal came along.
You could be right! But there are teams that would covet Revere and his speed. Also frenchy could be a fill in for a team with injuries. But if they pick up a starter with an expiring contract it would be like a cheap audition for next season. Phillies need an innings eater because the bullpen is being overworked. Most likely Hamels will yield us something on the trade market so we will have to wait.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always believed they should keep Revere, just 27 in May. A .291 lifetime hitter and 50 SBs this year. You keep him as they rebuild. Then trade if you find someone better. Right now, LF and RF may not be nailed down with Asche still a question mark. It's hard enough trying to find 1 or 2 outfielders but 3? He's a perfect leadoff hitter.

Let's see, you want to get a starting pitcher now because you want to win and you want to trade the leadoff hitter also. Huh?

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always believed they should keep Revere, just 27 in May. A .291 lifetime hitter and 50 SBs this year. You keep him as they rebuild. Then trade if you find someone better. Right now, LF and RF may not be nailed down with Asche still a question mark. It's hard enough trying to find 1 or 2 outfielders but 3? He's a perfect leadoff hitter.

Let's see, you want to get a starting pitcher now because you want to win and you want to trade the leadoff hitter also. Huh?

Not so. I want to save the bullpen and help the future. We need a pitcher that can go 6 or 7 innings on a regular basis. We can not save this season so winning is not important. (Although it's good for my mood swings regarding the Phillies). The outfield is not a problem. Altherr is developing just fine. He will get a call up if Revere is traded.
We need more power in the lineup so even if another outfielder only hits around 15 homeruns it will help us score more runs. Hernandez or Herrera can leadoff. Trading Revere for pitching is a no brainer. IMO.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Altherr is going to be a 200 hit, 50 SB, .300 hitter after how many years? In 14 AAA games this year, he's hitting .321. Overall a 7 year, .260 minor leaguer averaging 18 SBs. I'll put up with noodle arm for the next year or two.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's right. Phils will clean house this year and we won't be able to get Harang, Correia, Williams, and O'Sully autographs any more (just read that Sean O. is gone guy). Technically, Phils are just playing out the schedule. I remember as the season began, I'm thinking. Damn that Harang can toss a good game. That Williams cat is really good. But I forgot about fucken father time. These aging bastards stink. I knew O'Sullivan sucked and Aumont too and when that signed Corriea I barfed. They could replace these guys today with phillies farm talent and win at least as many games. Pitching will sort itself out in the next year or two.

Update: On Tuesday Phils designated starting pitcher Kevin Correia for assignment.:yes:

Last edited:

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Severino and Morgan can get valuable ML experience. And if Nola is up to it, might as well take a look at him but that might be too soon. Maybe we won't have to watch Harang and Williams for 3 more months. :pound:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This what I was thought jvett. These aging bastards stink. I knew O'Sullivan sucked and Aumont too and when that signed Corriea I barfed. They could replace these guys today with phillies farm talent and win at least as many games. Pitching will sort itself out in the next year or two.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have been: "This is what I was thinking, jvett." Geez, I can't seem to write a coherent sentence after work. WTH.