• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Steele makes a great point on The Herd regarding the Oline..

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season Alabama allowed 6 sacks to Western Kentucky, then shit got right..

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT's defense is probably better than the media gives it credit for. In our last 3 games:

UVA - 217 total yards
Rutgurs - 196 total yards
Bama - 206 total yards

I fully expect our D to be top 10 in the nation this year

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT's defense is probably better than the media gives it credit for. In our last 3 games:

UVA - 217 total yards
Rutgurs - 196 total yards
Bama - 206 total yards

I fully expect our D to be top 10 in the nation this year

Yeah I have no doubt that defense is going to continue to be very good. Bud Foster is a good D-coordinator, and he gets 9 guys back there. I'm rooting for you guys to shut everybody down, make us look not so bad..lol

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT defense is very stout. Our o-line played terrible and our RBs missed several pass protections and we didn't open up the playbook...for good reason with A&M coming up. VT played a great game defensively, but the Oline still has stuff to work on

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT defense is very stout. Our o-line played terrible and our RBs missed several pass protections and we didn't open up the playbook...for good reason with A&M coming up. VT played a great game defensively, but the Oline still has stuff to work on

Yeah, I wasn't going to say that, but Aaron Suttles brought it up first and it makes sense. When a team is doing what VT did, stacking the box and blitzing LB's every play, what are you gonna do? In my opinion you spread the defense out with 4 or 5 wide and back them off by throwing some balls down field. Instead we ran right into a stacked box over and over and over. It made zero sense. That's why I'm convinced the special teams and defense playing like it did, had an impact on our offensive approach.

That could be totally wrong, the play calling could've just been a horrible coaching job, but I'm hoping we open shit up vs A&M.

Bamabino

No Limit Holdem Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the couch tomato:

Protect AJ with a conservation game plan
Establish the run
Establish the run.
Establish the run.
Establish the run.
Establish the run.
Chance > Arie K.
Barrett > Ryan
DJ > Austin
Michael Williams > Vogler
Play opossum in the passing game for A&M.
I'll go out on a limb and proclaim VT's defense as one of the top 3 they'll face in the regular season.
New o-line got tried by fire and will benefit down the road.
Miyagi have a hope for them.
With the exception of Edmund's long run, the VT offense did not cross the 50. Their only two other possessions in Bama territory were the result of an interception and 43 yard punt return, which combined only resulted in 3 points.

Last edited by a moderator:

metal_frk_334

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is the exact same point I brought up to my friends after the game. The best oline Bama has ever produced got embarrassed by w. ky. let's not overreact just yet