• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF: Run stop percentage for 3-4 DEs, interior DL

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glen Dorsey's name hasn't come up much since the '08 draft, but it seems like Tyson Jackson and Dorsey are doing fairly well in that scheme. I thought Dorsey was one of the most explosive DT's to come out of college the past 5 years. I still see him as a 4-3 DT.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its amazing how good JJ Watt is already. I liked him a little bit coming out, but my evaluation is no where even close to how good he has been. What a piece the Texans have.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey Pozz, how much stock do you put into these individual percentages? KC's DE's ranked well on this list, yet KC was ranked like 26th in the league at stopping the run. How much can we attribute to individual play as compared to scheme or even who surrounds you (LB,S) in a scheme? Just curious what you think about the list and how it actually relates to game day...

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its amazing how good JJ Watt is already. I liked him a little bit coming out, but my evaluation is no where even close to how good he has been. What a piece the Texans have.

jj watt was a guy i really liked but with a pick that high u kinda wanna make a big splash.

but ya jj watt :hail:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
When people talk about some of the legendary combine performances of all time JJ Watt's should be right up there. He absolutely destroyed the combine.

Some radio personalities I try to avoid (unless there's nothing else on) talk about how useless and stupid the NFL combine is every single year. Grant Napear is one of 'em (I worked at his radio station a couple of years). I wanted to shove the microphone down his throat just to shut him up because that opinion was so asinine.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the combine is good for crossing t's and dotting i's.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The combine isn't everything, but people who ignore the combine are cluseless about prospect assesment (like Grant Napear).

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hey Pozz, how much stock do you put into these individual percentages? KC's DE's ranked well on this list, yet KC was ranked like 26th in the league at stopping the run. How much can we attribute to individual play as compared to scheme or even who surrounds you (LB,S) in a scheme? Just curious what you think about the list and how it actually relates to game day...

I'm always cautious about reading too much into anything whether it's something that someone related to a team said or a specific number by a website that is attached to any player in any sport. It just depends on the study or analysis that we're talking about but with just about anything I read that doesn't come from an NFL scout or coach, I always am pretty cautious with it knowing that it probably has some varying degrees of flaws in it and one should not treat it always as absolute truth.

It's a complicated question and I'm not sure I can give a great answer because I have so many feelings on an issue like this. One dominant thing I always go back to whenever I go to sites like that, however, is that people who are into film work on their own and come up with their own numbers are in one world, and the coaches who work with these players and evaluate/grade them using their own scale are in a completely different world and I think it's important that fans realize that and try not to mix the two together.

Now that's not to say that I believe you can never get an accurate picture on a team or player's season or stretch of play using their numbers or any other site's numbers because I do think alot of these sites do actually do a good job. Very generally speaking, though, I am of the belief that the fan world of grading and what coaches/execs do are two very separate things and it's best to always remember that.

As far as this particular one goes to at least somewhat answer your question. I think all those things come into play - other players in that defense, scheme, game situation, health, etc.. I could list a hundred different things that come into play with a list like this. With some of the other ones they've done there are quite a few less things that you have to take into account, and therefore are probably better to look at as far as putting more stock into what the numbers say. This one is more complicated to me and one I'd personally be a little more cautious reading SO much into.