• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peer Discipline

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an article by the Broncos Ex-GM Ted Sundquist and he had made a recommendation that I thought would be interesting. Instead of allowing Goodell to make all the discipline decisions in the NFL he said he thought they could get from having all of these lawsuits/court cases/appeals and such if they would instead give the discipline decisions over to the players. Form a peer lead panel that would meet to hear the cases of these players and then make a decision. Now obviously there would be some guidelines such as so many strikes in the drug or PED areas would lead to so many suspended games kind of thing but with the whole domestic violence, deflategate type situations it would be interesting to see what other players think about it.

Now this would be a conflict of interest considering the NFLPA would either have to lose some of their power because they would be taking on their own clients in a sense or have a different approach in how appeals would be handled. I do think though players would respect discipline a lot more if they knew it came from their peers. I also think players would then respect the difficulty in that type of job knowing they are suspending their brothers in the league but also knowing that the media will come down hard on them if they do nothing every time.

Just an interesting idea.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an article by the Broncos Ex-GM Ted Sundquist and he had made a recommendation that I thought would be interesting. Instead of allowing Goodell to make all the discipline decisions in the NFL he said he thought they could get from having all of these lawsuits/court cases/appeals and such if they would instead give the discipline decisions over to the players. Form a peer lead panel that would meet to hear the cases of these players and then make a decision. Now obviously there would be some guidelines such as so many strikes in the drug or PED areas would lead to so many suspended games kind of thing but with the whole domestic violence, deflategate type situations it would be interesting to see what other players think about it.

Now this would be a conflict of interest considering the NFLPA would either have to lose some of their power because they would be taking on their own clients in a sense or have a different approach in how appeals would be handled. I do think though players would respect discipline a lot more if they knew it came from their peers. I also think players would then respect the difficulty in that type of job knowing they are suspending their brothers in the league but also knowing that the media will come down hard on them if they do nothing every time.

I think commish handing out player discipline is fine...the problem has been the uneven nature of fines and penalties...it should be iron clad, you do this you get X, you do that, you get Y and if something has too much gray area to be iron clad, you request a hearing that has to be approved by the commish. A panel hears the hearing (panel can be 3 people...one the NFLPA appoints, one the NFL appoints (not the commish), and the 3rd voted on by both parties.)

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...or in all cases, they could just ask Rock Strongo.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think commish handing out player discipline is fine...the problem has been the uneven nature of fines and penalties...it should be iron clad, you do this you get X, you do that, you get Y and if something has too much gray area to be iron clad, you request a hearing that has to be approved by the commish. A panel hears the hearing (panel can be 3 people...one the NFLPA appoints, one the NFL appoints (not the commish), and the 3rd voted on by both parties.)

I agree that if they are to keep things as they are then they need to lay things out in black and white that both the NFL and NFLPA agree upon. Part of that agreement in everything being black and white is that the NFLPA will not fight the punishments handed out. Also agree on the panel. Unfortunately both sides are too dang stubborn to agree to such things.

I do however think it would be interesting to see how the players would handle such things as Deflategate compared to how the Commissioner has handled it. I mean the public opinion when this whole thing hit the public was that the Patriots are these terrible cheaters that deserve to be punished severely. So say the players only handed him a fine how would the public have come down on them? Or with the domestic abuse cases again how would that have been handled because public opinion would definitely have to weigh a bit on the decision. This again though is if you make things more black and white in these situations then you can always lean upon that when the media is coming down.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this could be horribly abused.... that said, what the NFL needs is a fixed # of penalized weeks, etc. that is built into the contract. If you do this, you get this, SIGN HERE. If you skip this, you get this SIGN HERE, etc. etc. By agreeing to these terms for playing in the NFL you forfeit all debate options if found guilty by the NFL.

The fact we're seeing these lawsuits (Brady) and general debates in general is absolutely 100% ridiculous.

The NFL also needs to stop with this "taking the law into our own hands." If some guy is FREE OF CHARGE from the public, then don't penalize him. Ray Rice is a perfect example. Why was this guy banned? He was free of all charges... so let him ****ing play in the NFL...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that if they are to keep things as they are then they need to lay things out in black and white that both the NFL and NFLPA agree upon. Part of that agreement in everything being black and white is that the NFLPA will not fight the punishments handed out. Also agree on the panel. Unfortunately both sides are too dang stubborn to agree to such things.

I do however think it would be interesting to see how the players would handle such things as Deflategate compared to how the Commissioner has handled it. I mean the public opinion when this whole thing hit the public was that the Patriots are these terrible cheaters that deserve to be punished severely. So say the players only handed him a fine how would the public have come down on them? Or with the domestic abuse cases again how would that have been handled because public opinion would definitely have to weigh a bit on the decision. This again though is if you make things more black and white in these situations then you can always lean upon that when the media is coming down.

I think the players have made it clear on the Brady deal...this was a slap on the wrist offense, deserved a slap on the wrist penaly (imo a fine) how TB handled it should result in 2 games.

On other issues such as domestic violence...I'm not sure if players are the right judge and jury...again, the biggest valid complaint I see on the player's side has been inconsistent penalties for players

Last edited:

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why don't we just play football and mind our own jobs....let players play, coaches coach, owners pay, the Commish govern ....and fans complain, I mean cheer them on !! :D

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Executives should be in charge of protecting a business's interests. Leaving bottom line issues to anyone else is foolish.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that you are now starting to see/hear stories by management about changing the process.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So maybe instead of punishing other players they throw them a party???

I agree that the players taking these cases to court is horrible for the league. But it just goes hand in hand with many players attitudes that they are above the rules in life and they get to do whatever they want. If you don't like the decision, just sue. What a system we have...

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So maybe instead of punishing other players they throw them a party???

I agree that the players taking these cases to court is horrible for the league. But it just goes hand in hand with many players attitudes that they are above the rules in life and they get to do whatever they want. If you don't like the decision, just sue. What a system we have...

So the fact that RG is O fer in court vs the NFLPA isn't a clue that maybe he is running the league outside his authority?:scratch:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking a "peer review panel" consisting of:
Terrell Suggs,
Josh Gordon,
Aldon Smith
Greg Hardy,
Donkeykong SUH,
I case of ties, consult Arron Hernandez......

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How different would a "peer lead panel" be different from a NFLPA other than name?

Seeing the indifference from "peers" over Goodell's power mongering regarding football psi and employees private property, I'd say these "peers" are either too effin stupid or just plain old competitive to fairly decide the fate and status of another player or "peer."

Goodell is going inquisitional over .00375 psi of footballs ... the players wouldn't have even giggled ...

unless it was the New England Patriots of course ...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How different would a "peer lead panel" be different from a NFLPA other than name?

Seeing the indifference from "peers" over Goodell's power mongering regarding football psi and employees private property, I'd say these "peers" are either too effin stupid or just plain old competitive to fairly decide the fate and status of another player or "peer."

Or maybe they understand what cheating is and know that it is against the rules and shouldn't be allowed?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is an interesting topic. I agree that many offenses should have clear cut penalties and I believe some do, but in the end the NFL should have set up an independent panel of former judges or CEO's to oversee the penalty phase of cases like Suh stomping on someone, Suggs diving at a QB's knees or .001 psi of air pressure.

The current kangaroo court leaves no one with any confidence in the commissioner's office.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking a "peer review panel" consisting of:
Terrell Suggs,
Josh Gordon,
Aldon Smith
Greg Hardy,
Donkeykong SUH,
I case of ties, consult Arron Hernandez......

And Brady in equipment tampering cases.