• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paying college players and early NBA entrance

TexasWes

Seer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not take the best of how the other sports bring in talent?

- You wanna go to college on a paid scholarship. Go. You'll get an education as insurance when you blow your knees out, and you'll get to be coached at the next level...possibly raising your game.

- Have a body by Nautilus, but a brain by Tonka? Go to the (non-collegiate) "farm teams" and get a salary without all the classroom sleeping.

This would provide two tracks--sports/education vs sports only--for the INDIVIDUAL to make a life decision as to what they think is best for them. And as far as the age limit...if there is some uber-brain who completes college at age 16 (yes...there are a few) and physically develops enough to try out for pro sports...why not? There are "minors" in other pro sports (i.e. golf, tennis).

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
golf and tennis do not compete in away that being underdeveloped would be dangerous.

TexasWes

Seer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
golf and tennis do not compete in away that being underdeveloped would be dangerous.
Didn't see the term (or argument) "underdeveloped" anywhere in this thread. Obviously you wouldn't want to have children compete against NBA pros (see example below), but my points were:
1. If you're physically capable of performing at that level, then you should be able to do so; and
2. The NBA should have an educational (college) pathway and an non-collegate (minor league?) pathway.

Last edited by a moderator:

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Yes
2. but the NBA should not be the non-collegiate path

and kid taping kind of a douche...and what was Lebron thinking? He has killer instinct vs a 12 year old? SMH

TexasWes

Seer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Agreed
2. Agreed
3. Agreed

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always said, if you've elevated your draft status to like the top 5(or even to the lottery) after that 1st year, then GO and don't look back. First, I'm one for education and having something to fall back on, therefore I think these guys should be working toward their degrees in the offseason if they make the jump after 1 year. As for developing them, it's a very fair point to say that a few years under Coach K, Roy Williams, Callipari, JT3, etc. would teach them structure and I think there's nothing wrong with that. However, as I said I'd rather them take the chance while they have it. Too much stuff can happen in between a year or 2 to plummet a players draft stock. For instance, Marcus Smart would've been a TOP 5 pick this year, however he chose to stay. Nothing wrong with that, but next year he will be nowhere near a top 5 pick because this year's incoming freshman class will completely take over next years' draft. Even in football, Matt Barkley went from the top pick to the fifth round. Now there are instances in which staying an extra year or 2 worked out just fine. That's all fine and well, but it comes with risk.