• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Passing Downs Defensive Package

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
LDE: Corey Lemonier
LDT: Tank Carradine
RDT: Justin Smith
RDT: RDE: Aldon Smith

ROLB: The VP of Carnage
LOLB: Bowman (if healthy; God willing) or Brooks

Starting DBs: Whoever the staring DBs are

Nickel DB: Ward unless he's a starter

I think this would be an absolute nightmare to block, and if the starting DBs play well it would be a nightmare to pass against IMO.

What would your passing-down nickel package be?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not the front 7 that I am worried about its our CBs. We had a shot to draft a #1 or #2 CB instead we draft a slot guy. This is what Im worried about.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tank is still based on potential, so I hope he can be the terror that we fans are dreaming about.... I really can't wait to see him out there...

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LDE: Corey Lemonier
LDT: Tank Carradine
RDT: Justin Smith
RDT: RDE: Aldon Smith

ROLB: The VP of Carnage
LOLB: Bowman (if healthy; God willing) or Brooks

Starting DBs: Whoever the staring DBs are

Nickel DB: Ward unless he's a starter

I think this would be an absolute nightmare to block, and if the starting DBs play well it would be a nightmare to pass against IMO.

What would your passing-down nickel package be?

you just got me excited

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been so close minded that I never thought about inserting Jimmie Ward as a starting CB. That would be interesting if he can make the transition to starting CB and possibly allowed Dontae (Who I think is strictly a safety) to take over for Bethea(Who I have no confidence in).

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall front 7 looks great.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta agree that I'm loving the pressure we should be able to put on the QB, especially with Aldon and Lemon. The big question mark is the CB's. They don't have to be great, or even good, they just have to be adequate to get us off the field on 3rd down.

I'm really interested in seeing how Tank performs.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the thing no one is talking about, our front 7 is so deep and talented now with Lemonier and Tank in the fold now that we wont need lock down CB's because the opposing QB isn't going to have too much time to throw, we will be in the backfield a lot during the game

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is the thing no one is talking about, our front 7 is so deep and talented now with Lemonier and Tank in the fold now that we wont need lock down CB's because the opposing QB isn't going to have too much time to throw, we will be in the backfield a lot during the game

for this season our D-line is ok, but can't help wonder how well Justin Smith can play? now he isn't "all of a sudden" a slouch, but is he the same All Pro, or the same Pro Bowler?

McDonald isn't that young either.

we should wait on Tank and see how he does? I'd think he'll pan out but to what level, not likely to our expectations which seems HIGH? he might not pan out right away being he didn't play last season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Early in the season, and depending on the opponent, I think there's a good chance we only play Willis at LB, and go with more dime. Not entirely sure who that additional DB will be right now, though. We'll have to see what shakes out during the preseason.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Early in the season, and depending on the opponent, I think there's a good chance we only play Willis at LB, and go with more dime. Not entirely sure who that additional DB will be right now, though. We'll have to see what shakes out during the preseason.

they always adapt the appropriate game plan for the upcoming opponent, so how is the above different? my first take reading it is...........dime will be our base defense, but you know better so again, what does the above mean?

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they always adapt the appropriate game plan for the upcoming opponent, so how is the above different? my first take reading it is...........dime will be our base defense, but you know better so again, what does the above mean?

Pretty sure he means where we used to have Willis/Bowman on the field in a nickel formation they will now have Willis/Rando DB in a dime formation instead of Willis/Wilhoite (or Moody or slow white guy or whoever replaces Bowman)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The subject of the thread is "passing downs defense," so I didn't think I needed to qualify that I wasn't talking about our base defense.

As far as how it's different, I can't recall us playing more than a handful of snaps in nickel packages last year. I believe we will employ that scheme more often this year. Bowman is likely out half the season. Bowman is very good at covering RBs out of the backfield. Regardless of who wins the ILB position next to Willis, they will almost certainly be markedly worse than Bowman in that area and we will thus look to players who are better in coverage.

I only mentioned the opponent because I think the RB on the field in passing downs will make some difference. If Lynch is on the field, for instance, we probably want the extra LB. The same is true if we were playing Carolina and they had Tolbert in on passing downs. But if the Cards go with Ellington or the Bears go with Forte, I would think we might play Dahl over Wilhoite (the specific players are just examples; I think Dahl could be cut) as the DB would be better able to cover the RB down the field.