• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pass Defense

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this some what interesting. 49ers have the #3 PFF Pas Defense and the best cover CB in the league is Brock. Only Negative is Rogers has been one of the worst this year. Some positives are Whitner is #2 cover Safety in the league and E. Wright has been one of the best nickel cover guys since taking this spot. Wright, Whitner and Brown are FA after this year. 49ers will have some work to do to sign or replace 1or 2 of these guys. Top 5 safeties make about 7 million more then him. He makes 4.9 million right now and will look to make in the range of 6-9 million a year. 49ers will not over pay for a 29 year old Safety. Best bet for him to stay with the 49ers is a 3-4 year deal worth 6 million a year.

They say the odds are that the 49ers bring back Wright and Brown and cut Rogers and let Whitner go. We would have Brown, Brock and Wright as our Top 3 CBs and then have Reid and a new safety in there. 49ers would be able to sign both brown and wright and still be under what Whitner will get.

What Will the San Francisco 49ers Secondary Look Like in 2014? | Bleacher Report

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe about Eric Wright. He has gotten better, but he had a rocky start since getting back on the field.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Whitner has gotten better, I can't imagine the Niners paying 6+ mil for a SS that isn't the absolute best at his position.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although Whitner has gotten better, I can't imagine the Niners paying 6+ mil for a SS that isn't the absolute best at his position.

I agree. He is making 4.9 million now so a little raise is due. I wouldn't mind 6 million but I wouldn't go past that. He is a big leader at the back of the D for this team.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe about Eric Wright. He has gotten better, but he had a rocky start since getting back on the field.

Numbers say he is doing a good job. I don't really have an opinion on him yet. He is getting better because he is starting to learn the defense. I expected him to have a tough start for not playing in awhile.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm very skeptical of Whitner as the #2 safety in coverage. Is that SS, or any safety? If the latter, there's just no way.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there is anyway Brown or Whitner are back next year unless they take big pay cuts. Brown turned down the exact same contract that Brock got. The team isn't going to offer him more now that Brock has resigned and is playing better.

Whitner I would like back, but he would have to take a cut to 3-4mill a year at best. Our cap numbers for the next year aren't factoring in massive extensions that are due for some of our biggest guys like Aldon, Iupati, Kap, and Crab.

We can afford to wait a bit since they are all under contract next year, but we can make the argument that their prices are not going to be any lower than they are now with the years each has had. Aldon with legal issues, Iupati not playing as well/injured, Kap not playing as great(but getting better), and Crab was hurt, but looking better each week. All those guys could realistically have better years next year and be due even more money. Plus we NEED to resign Anquan Boldin as he's a free agent at the end of this year. He's making 6mill now and refused a pay cut with Baltimore so I really doubt we can get him for cheap. He's probably in the 6-7 mill range. I don't doubt someone could offer him more, but he might take that from us.

Wright I believe we can sign to a 1-2 mill a year deal and with Culliver back next year we can add a draft pick to this group. We're going to have to cut Rogers with his big cap number next year so we could be looking at two new starters in the secondary next year. We really need to look to reload a bit next year and it's why the 2012 bust of a draft class is hurting us now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think there is anyway Brown or Whitner are back next year unless they take big pay cuts. Brown turned down the exact same contract that Brock got. The team isn't going to offer him more now that Brock has resigned and is playing better.

Whitner I would like back, but he would have to take a cut to 3-4mill a year at best. Our cap numbers for the next year aren't factoring in massive extensions that are due for some of our biggest guys like Aldon, Iupati, Kap, and Crab.

We can afford to wait a bit since they are all under contract next year, but we can make the argument that their prices are not going to be any lower than they are now with the years each has had. Aldon with legal issues, Iupati not playing as well/injured, Kap not playing as great(but getting better), and Crab was hurt, but looking better each week. All those guys could realistically have better years next year and be due even more money. Plus we NEED to resign Anquan Boldin as he's a free agent at the end of this year. He's making 6mill now and refused a pay cut with Baltimore so I really doubt we can get him for cheap. He's probably in the 6-7 mill range. I don't doubt someone could offer him more, but he might take that from us.

Wright I believe we can sign to a 1-2 mill a year deal and with Culliver back next year we can add a draft pick to this group. We're going to have to cut Rogers with his big cap number next year so we could be looking at two new starters in the secondary next year. We really need to look to reload a bit next year and it's why the 2012 bust of a draft class is hurting us now.

agree with the logic on these players, they're likely at the lowest point with leverage.

Boldin is a tough one, no doubt we could use him but IMO his cap cost is too high. the cap will force Baalke to extend the younger guys, not leaving enough for Boldin. its not about how good Boldin is, but the cap is the cap, and there's a larger picture looking forward.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree with the logic on these players, they're likely at the lowest point with leverage.

Boldin is a tough one, no doubt we could use him but IMO his cap cost is too high. the cap will force Baalke to extend the younger guys, not leaving enough for Boldin. its not about how good Boldin is, but the cap is the cap, and there's a larger picture looking forward.

I agree with what you're saying and it's why I think we need to let Whitner go and cut Rogers, but our WR core next year looks scary.... scary bad not good I mean.

Manningham and Boldin are both free agents so we could lose both. Baldwin isn't doing anything and I like Quinton Patton, but we haven't seen anything from him yet or know if he can be counted on. Crab and Vernon ran the show in 2012 and did great, but if either get hurt we are in big trouble.

We have the draft assets to move up in 2014 to grab a WR, but it's hard to see right now how all that will play out. For me, the ideal situation would be to sign Boldin to a 1 year deal, draft a WR and see how that guy and Patton do in 2014.

I think the team will work out things for the best, but the cap situation is going to force a real hard look at Gore. I love Frank and what's he's done for the team, but his age and cap number with Hunter, James, and Lattimore waiting in the wings means someone has to go next year. I'd rather see James go, but Baalke's got a tough call to make.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Boldin has been amazing esp with Crabs back to take the pressure off of him. Problem is, he is a #2-3 WR making $6 million. That is alot to ask, what is the status of MM contract? He was brought in to play Boldins role, big body WR making timely catches, but (I know he was hurt) has been non-existent.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree with what you're saying and it's why I think we need to let Whitner go and cut Rogers, but our WR core next year looks scary.... scary bad not good I mean.

Manningham and Boldin are both free agents so we could lose both. Baldwin isn't doing anything and I like Quinton Patton, but we haven't seen anything from him yet or know if he can be counted on. Crab and Vernon ran the show in 2012 and did great, but if either get hurt we are in big trouble.

We have the draft assets to move up in 2014 to grab a WR, but it's hard to see right now how all that will play out. For me, the ideal situation would be to sign Boldin to a 1 year deal, draft a WR and see how that guy and Patton do in 2014.

I think the team will work out things for the best, but the cap situation is going to force a real hard look at Gore. I love Frank and what's he's done for the team, but his age and cap number with Hunter, James, and Lattimore waiting in the wings means someone has to go next year. I'd rather see James go, but Baalke's got a tough call to make.

prior to the season would've predicted this would be Gore's last season, but now think he'll remain. Gore is still running well and think he can perform similarly next season. would be ok with Hunter in place of Gore, but why do it if Gore is still good?

yes, big decision on LMJ or even Hunter? if Dixon does ok tonight, think he has too much 'swiss knife' in him? if he does poorly, then he'll be back on the bubble.

its good we have Lattimore but no one knows how well he'll play? so next season is closer to his "tryout", than "breakout".

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin has been amazing esp with Crabs back to take the pressure off of him. Problem is, he is a #2-3 WR making $6 million. That is alot to ask, what is the status of MM contract? He was brought in to play Boldins role, big body WR making timely catches, but (I know he was hurt) has been non-existent.

Mario is a free agent at the end of the year and took a pay cut to stay with the team this past summer. He went from 3.6 to 1.8 mill. I know Boldin is a #2, but he's the perfect guy for our offense as he can beat 1 on 1 coverage from the best of guys and can dominate smaller corners and guys who aren't physical. It forces a team to not being able to double Crab or Vernon and he's also a great run blocker. Mario is a tall guy and good blocker, but he can be dominated by press coverage guys like what Seattle plays.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

th

timely catches I guess I could see but you could say that about any receiver brought in. MM and Boldin aren't even close to the same type of receiver. MM big body? He's like 6 ft and a buck eighty

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also have a lot of money coming off the books. Rogers, Boldin, Mario will be off the books. That is like 18 million right there. Now I hope Boldin comes back at like a 2 year 3 million dollar deal.

smackdown380

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
th

timely catches I guess I could see but you could say that about any receiver brought in. MM and Boldin aren't even close to the same type of receiver. MM big body? He's like 6 ft and a buck eighty

lol that was the face I made when I read his post too.

Fair enough, timely catches. He hasn't been a factor in the offense and I would be content letting him go and extending Boldin.