• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the signing of former Alabama LB Shane Lee, USC is now #1 in the transfer portal rankings.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Caleb Williams stuff is becoming absurd. Now, noted NFL QB factory Wisconsin, is supposedly a serious contender. I'm also wondering if Dart is waiting to see what Williams does before he commits. Maybe he stays at USC if Williams decides on another school? Rumor is that TE Michael Trigg wants to go where Dart goes. Maybe USC ends up keeping both?

I'm starting to think Dart staying may be the better option. Caleb Williams Dad is starting to have a Lavar Ball vibe.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Caleb Williams stuff is becoming absurd. Now, noted NFL QB factory Wisconsin, is supposedly a serious contender. I'm also wondering if Dart is waiting to see what Williams does before he commits. Maybe he stays at USC if Williams decides on another school? Rumor is that TE Michael Trigg wants to go where Dart goes. Maybe USC ends up keeping both?

I'm starting to think Dart staying may be the better option. Caleb Williams Dad is starting to have a Lavar Ball vibe.
Dart's going to Ole Miss.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Huskies finishing strong going into LOI. Get the commit from a Texas CB the new staff has been pursuing.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shocking that we could have him for one more season. Was going to go pretty high in the draft.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys moved up a spot

NdI.gif

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whenever this NCAA shit passes and Herm gets fired, ASU is going to have like a 35 kid recruiting class. ASU is going to be ok for another year, and then have MASSIVE talent and depth problems.

None of this is new, just kinda... depressing. Prior to the NCAA allegations coming to light, I think we had 6 4-stars and were crystal ball favs on 2 or 3 more just in this recruiting cycle. Now desolation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU's Associate Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Antonio Pierce has resigned.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU's Associate Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Antonio Pierce has resigned.
Pretty much had to happen. I think they tried hard to protect him, but at this point the allegations are doing more damage than the punishment ever will. It's a shame. I think he could have become a very good DC and eventually HC. If they aren't in position to recruit well by some point in 2023, they're going to have major talent problems down the line.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much had to happen. I think they tried hard to protect him, but at this point the allegations are doing more damage than the punishment ever will. It's a shame. I think he could have become a very good DC and eventually HC. If they aren't in position to recruit well by some point in 2023, they're going to have major talent problems down the line.

If Herm is let go, who does ASU look for as his replacement?

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Herm is let go, who does ASU look for as his replacement?
Hard to answer. I'm guessing Ray will be gone with Herm. Pierce was the Heir Apparent at ASU and clearly being groomed to be the next HC once Herm retired again, but with the current situation?

I think the AD and HC are both being retained to be captains of the ship until things come to a head and ASU knows what it's looking at. I think it'll be a big coaching search.. I've got one or two in mind I think would be dynamite, but I doubt even Crow knows who's coming up next at this point. Just trying to weather the storm and look for talent.

ASU has been fucking around with iffy type hires for a long time. Bruce Snyder was the last "big name" hire and that was 30 years ago. The rest were Koetter, an old Dennis Erickson, Todd Graham and Herm, all of which were mostly eye roll hires. They need a killer.

The most obvious choice would be Mendenhall though I'm not sure I'm super stoked about it. I'd prefer a top shelf coordinator that's still young and might want to make a career in Tempe. I've heard other ASU people mention Jim Leonhard if they could get him.

Last edited:

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to answer. I'm guessing Ray will be gone with Herm. Pierce was the Heir Apparent at ASU and clearly being groomed to be the next HC once Herm retired again, but with the current situation?

I think the AD and HC are both being retained to be captains of the ship until things come to a head and ASU knows what it's looking at. I think it'll be a big coaching search.. I've got one or two in mind I think would be dynamite, but I doubt even Crow knows who's coming up next at this point. Just trying to weather the storm and look for talent.

ASU has been fucking around with iffy type hires for a long time. Bruce Snyder was the last "big name" hire and that was 30 years ago. The rest were Koetter, an old Dennis Erickson, Todd Graham and Herm, all of which were mostly eye roll hires. They need a killer.

The most obvious choice would be Mendenhall though I'm not sure I'm super stoked about it. I'd prefer a top shelf coordinator that's still young and might want to make a career in Tempe. I've heard other ASU people mention Jim Leonhard if they could get him.

I agree. Bronco is a solid coach but he wouldn't recruit well enough for ASU to consistently compete for PAC 12 titles. If I were an ASU fan, I'd want someone who could leverage what ASU has to offer in recruiting and in the transfer portal. Being an emerging market with improving recruiting grounds, they should be able to land top 20 classes consistently. Combine that with some key portal victories and you got a good team on your hands. ASU needs to act quickly though, Arizona is starting to get their shit together.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Bronco is a solid coach but he wouldn't recruit well enough for ASU to consistently compete for PAC 12 titles. If I were an ASU fan, I'd want someone who could leverage what ASU has to offer in recruiting and in the transfer portal. Being an emerging market with improving recruiting grounds, they should be able to land top 20 classes consistently. Combine that with some key portal victories and you got a good team on your hands. ASU needs to act quickly though, Arizona is starting to get their shit together.
ASU needs the NCAA to expedite more than anything else, or at least give us signs that it's going to be a lovetap versus the nuclear option.

There's no reason ASU should be punished very harshly for the allegations. The problem is the NCAA has lost complete control with NIL, it's wide open, and they might be looking for someone to hammer under the auspices of "COVID protocol" just to prove a point.

Either way, the allegations themselves are more detrimental than anything else. It's just this Charlie Brown raincloud hanging over ASU without a way to get rid of it unless the NCAA makes their charges. Once those are in, ASU can move forward. Right now we're effectively being held hostage... LSU got problems, nobody cares. Michigan has an enormous sex abuse scandal, nobody cares. Texas A&M paid $30+ mil on recruits, nobody cares.

ASU tried to buy some airline tickets and it's being burnt to the ground. It's pretty fucking bullshit. This SHOULD be a west coast problem where all the Pac 12 teams and admins are screaming at the top of their lungs to let shit go, but the west coast isn't tribal like that and most folks were enjoying the bonfine when USC got burnt by the Bush stuff. And we wonder why the Pac 12 sucks.

No team in the SEC or Big Ten would be getting pilloried over what ASU did. The vast majority were doing the same thing. It wouldn't be a news item. Just a little blip on the radar. Oops, no big. Forgotten a week later. Instead ASU is down an entire recruiting class, it's top 3 young recruiters and both coordinators.

The whole thing's a joke, but ASU can't move on until someone on high decides the joke is over. So it'll probably drag out for some program killing years.

It's 3 or 4 airline tickets for kids that didn't even go to ASU. That's why one of your programs is getting ground to a pulp, for the exact same recruiting cycle where Texas A&M and the rest of the SEC are legit bribing players. Same group of kids. $30 mil. Airline tickets.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC is going to be interesting. There new coaches, transfer portal has both helped and hurt some teams the NCAA is sniffing around a program that seemed to be building momentum in ASU.

With the new coaches and influx of talent, a lot of folks have USC either winning the PAC or at least winning the South. But, they have a lot of new faces and will be installing a system that is unfamiliar to most of the team. Then, after Spring practice, they expect to pull a few more players out of the portal. Good that they'll be able to do that, but that's going to be more players having to be brought up to speed.

Oregon has a new coaching staff and lost some important players in the portal, including Travis Dye to USC. But, they also landed some good talent as well. It will be interesting to see how quickly they can get everyone on the same page. The North doesn't appear to be as strong as the South, so even with all of the upheaval, Oregon should still take the North.

In the South, with the NCAA issues weighing on ASU, it looks like it will be between USC, Utah and UCLA for the South. Utah may have hit the "top of their recruiting cycle" from players they have been developing over the last 3-4 years winning the PAC last year. We'll see if they still have enough developed players to take the South again. Chip finally seems to have UCLA ready to make a little noise, so they should be in the mix for the South. Arizona and Colorado look like they'll be fighting to stay out of last place. Although both seem to be improving.

In the North, it looks like, if Oregon was going to have a season where they looked like they were going to be in good shape, only to end up with a bunch of coaching and player turnover...this was the season to do it as there doesn't seem to be anyone ready to take advantage. Washington is rebuilding, Stanford looks like they'll be fairly average, Wazzu and maybe Oregon St. could surprise, but even with the upheaval...it looks like the North is Oregon's to lose.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PAC is going to be interesting. There new coaches, transfer portal has both helped and hurt some teams the NCAA is sniffing around a program that seemed to be building momentum in ASU.

With the new coaches and influx of talent, a lot of folks have USC either winning the PAC or at least winning the South. But, they have a lot of new faces and will be installing a system that is unfamiliar to most of the team. Then, after Spring practice, they expect to pull a few more players out of the portal. Good that they'll be able to do that, but that's going to be more players having to be brought up to speed.

Oregon has a new coaching staff and lost some important players in the portal, including Travis Dye to USC. But, they also landed some good talent as well. It will be interesting to see how quickly they can get everyone on the same page. The North doesn't appear to be as strong as the South, so even with all of the upheaval, Oregon should still take the North.

In the South, with the NCAA issues weighing on ASU, it looks like it will be between USC, Utah and UCLA for the South. Utah may have hit the "top of their recruiting cycle" from players they have been developing over the last 3-4 years winning the PAC last year. We'll see if they still have enough developed players to take the South again. Chip finally seems to have UCLA ready to make a little noise, so they should be in the mix for the South. Arizona and Colorado look like they'll be fighting to stay out of last place. Although both seem to be improving.

In the North, it looks like, if Oregon was going to have a season where they looked like they were going to be in good shape, only to end up with a bunch of coaching and player turnover...this was the season to do it as there doesn't seem to be anyone ready to take advantage. Washington is rebuilding, Stanford looks like they'll be fairly average, Wazzu and maybe Oregon St. could surprise, but even with the upheaval...it looks like the North is Oregon's to lose.

I still think Utah is the team to beat in the South but USC has significantly closed that gap. If they find a way to improve on defense, they should win it. UCLA is still a good team but I think they're a step down from Utah and USC. ASU is hard to gauge with everything that's going on. Disagree totally about Arizona, they are going to be much improved. They did well in the portal and landed a good recruiting class. With the Wazzu QB, I expect them to be close to bowl eligible. CU will be the worst team in the South and I don't think it will be close.

For the North, Oregon should still win the division because their competition isn't great. There are some solid teams but nobody who should finish above Oregon. I don't Oregon was hit by the transfer portal as much as you think they were. Dye was the big name but Oregon has lots of young, talented backs and I'm confident they can produce behind an experienced line. DJ James was a hit but they brought in Gonzalez from CU, I think Oregon won out on that trade. All the other transfer losses were marginal guys. The key for Oregon is to develop a passing game. They never really got that going under Cristobal after Herbert left. If Oregon gets that going, they can easily win the PAC. If not, they're probably looking at winning the North but falling short against Utah or USC.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Utah is the team to beat in the South but USC has significantly closed that gap. If they find a way to improve on defense, they should win it. UCLA is still a good team but I think they're a step down from Utah and USC. ASU is hard to gauge with everything that's going on. Disagree totally about Arizona, they are going to be much improved. They did well in the portal and landed a good recruiting class. With the Wazzu QB, I expect them to be close to bowl eligible. CU will be the worst team in the South and I don't think it will be close.

Maybe on Utah. It's hard to say. Their pattern suggests a drop off this year, but maybe they don't have one this time. I don't know how big of a step down UCLA will have. It likely comes down to DTR for them. When he's good, he's really good...but when he isn't...he can be a disaster. If he can play well consistently, they will be trouble.

Arizona may be better, but it's still going to take a minute for them. Maybe they end up fighting with ASU for 4th or 5th in the PAC? I think ASU is going to struggle, too much turmoil. Their recruiting class fell apart and it may not be 100% that Herm is still their coach when the season starts. Gonna be tough for them to overcome all of that.

Agree regarding the defense for USC. It should be improved. But we've heard that before and it never seems to be. They had some talent, got some more through the portal and Grinch seems to be pretty well respected...but Oklahoma wasn't known for their defense either. The offense should be fine. Getting Caleb Williams should significantly shorten the learning curve since he already knows the offense and USC got one of his receivers from OU as well. I'm pretty excited to see what Riley can do with Dye and Raleek Brown. I hate to put too much pressure on a true freshman...but some folks are saying Brown might be the next Reggie Bush (hopefully with a legal house lol).

I don't think the defense has to be great for USC to win the PAC, or at least the South, but it has to be better than what we've seen the past few seasons.

For the North, Oregon should still win the division because their competition isn't great. There are some solid teams but nobody who should finish above Oregon. I don't Oregon was hit by the transfer portal as much as you think they were. Dye was the big name but Oregon has lots of young, talented backs and I'm confident they can produce behind an experienced line. DJ James was a hit but they brought in Gonzalez from CU, I think Oregon won out on that trade. All the other transfer losses were marginal guys. The key for Oregon is to develop a passing game. They never really got that going under Cristobal after Herbert left. If Oregon gets that going, they can easily win the PAC. If not, they're probably looking at winning the North but falling short against Utah or USC.

Yeah, if Oregon struggles in getting everyone adjusted, Wazzu or maybe Oregon St. could step up...but even then, Oregon should be able to just "out talent" them. Like I said, if Oregon could have picked a year to have a bunch of turnover and still at least win the North, it would be difficult to pick a better one. lol