• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said 'lots of different ways to do it' which means I wasn't slamming anyone particularly, but it's interesting Oregon keeps being brought up. I've never been shy about calling them out if that's what my purpose is. I'll bash or troll their fans openly. No need to project that I had some subtle projection of a slam when none was stated.

I really don't know the inner workings of any program, but we hear quite a bit about how Washington approaches these things because the media seems fascinated with Petersen's general philosophies. They don't offer that many because Petersen has a very specific set of criteria. It's not just ability and fit of scheme, but their personality, self drive, love of the game, almost obsession with learning football, academics, etc. I'm not saying others don't have focuses on those things because surely most coaches do to at least some degree. There's a reason why the majority of kids he does offer have many many top level schools also offering them. Petersen just seems less willing to bend on some of that in the name of taking crazy talent that might come with risks or baggage in those other areas.

I worried about that when he came here. He draws from a smaller pool so he self limits the top level of talent he can bring in. When you are trying to compete at the very top of this sport you really can't afford to pass on the level of talent needed to break through.

Sure he's had success so far at UW. He's a hell of a coach and has a phenomenal staff among other things. However, we do not know how much higher yet they would be if they offered a few more of those bigger studs that don't meet his other requirements. It's a trade off: The idea of less drama and more focused team driven cooperation versus top talent any way you can get it with the risk of more drama and disconnects in the locker room. Sark was willing to look past character issues in the name of talent and so did Neuheisel when he was here. Most top programs do.

I don't run around posting petersen pictures banging the drum that everything he does is superior. I've been critical before about his OKG stuff and not being as willing to be cut throat and go hard after other kids that have verbally committed to other programs and shut down their recruiting just like most other coaches do to his kids. It's self limiting in the name of an honor code that simply doesn't exist no matter how hard he tries to push it.

What that list doesn't provide is a breakdown of the level of kids each school has offered. It's one thing to offer 200 4*+ kids going after the top shelf of the sport, and quite another to offer a crap load of 2* and 3* kids in desperation like a few of those schools in the middle of that pack are forced to do.

I simply found that list interesting in what little it does provide as a glimpse of how many different approaches their are to recruiting.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean you do get that if UW was like lighting the world on fire with it or something I'd probably be on board right? Like I'm sure you couldn't care less about crew since it's not a duck thing.
like a lot of NCAA sports i only watch the championship. if its on tv. I didnt watch any crew this year but have in years past. if its on.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What UW coach is that out of curiosity?

:laugh3:

You're approaching a trustmeimright homeristic level w/ all of your Huskies mumbo-jumbo. Congratulations on a job well done.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. Same old duck fans. 3 coaches in 3 years, entirely destroyed by their most hated rivals back to back years, and still acting like they are something to be feared.

This is why duck fans are in the top 10 list of most hated nationwide.
how is that same old ducks? Oregon brooks and bellottii combined for over 30 years

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're approaching a trustmeimright homeristic level w/ all of your Huskies mumbo-jumbo. Congratulations on a job well done.
i think you have Washington and Washington state confused. also assistant vs head coach

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think you have Washington and Washington state confused. also assistant vs head coach

Actually I don't even know what the topic is right now. Just figured AG was pimping up the Huskies like he always does. And is there really that much of difference between Washington & Washington State?:heh:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of recruiting Oregon picked up Josh Delgado a 4* WR with offers from ASU, Ark, Colorado, Minn, Oregon State, Purdue, USC, UW, WSU
and JC transfer OT 4* Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu rated #1 overall JC player who had offers from Alabama, Arizona, Ark, Baylor, Florida, Florida State, Kansas State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, OK State, Ole Miss, Syracuse, TCU, Tenn, TX A&M, USC, Utah, WVU

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^
That's the shit I'm still concerned about going into '18. You can't be considered a playoff threat with trash numbers like that. Kicking game bit Oregon one of their seasons and it for sure hurt UW last year.

Fix that shit Petersen.

61% FG completion rate, and it's not like they were trying a ton of 50y plus kicks. They were missing 20y kicks all over the damned place. It was disgusting.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how is that same old ducks? Oregon brooks and bellottii combined for over 30 years
I said same old duck FANS. As in, there was a shit ton of arrogance from many (didn't say you so chill before you even start that crap lol) all over the place for a team that never completed the journey. No platters full of natty's and yet more cocky fans than those for Bama or other schools that actually did have reasons to be jackasses like that.

And you still have fans acting like Oregon is something more than it is right now. Not just duckboy, but read twitter or blogs. OD might be over the top, but not by miles.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said 'lots of different ways to do it' which means I wasn't slamming anyone particularly, but it's interesting Oregon keeps being brought up. I've never been shy about calling them out if that's what my purpose is. I'll bash or troll their fans openly. No need to project that I had some subtle projection of a slam when none was stated.

I really don't know the inner workings of any program, but we hear quite a bit about how Washington approaches these things because the media seems fascinated with Petersen's general philosophies. They don't offer that many because Petersen has a very specific set of criteria. It's not just ability and fit of scheme, but their personality, self drive, love of the game, almost obsession with learning football, academics, etc. I'm not saying others don't have focuses on those things because surely most coaches do to at least some degree. There's a reason why the majority of kids he does offer have many many top level schools also offering them. Petersen just seems less willing to bend on some of that in the name of taking crazy talent that might come with risks or baggage in those other areas.

I worried about that when he came here. He draws from a smaller pool so he self limits the top level of talent he can bring in. When you are trying to compete at the very top of this sport you really can't afford to pass on the level of talent needed to break through.

Sure he's had success so far at UW. He's a hell of a coach and has a phenomenal staff among other things. However, we do not know how much higher yet they would be if they offered a few more of those bigger studs that don't meet his other requirements. It's a trade off: The idea of less drama and more focused team driven cooperation versus top talent any way you can get it with the risk of more drama and disconnects in the locker room. Sark was willing to look past character issues in the name of talent and so did Neuheisel when he was here. Most top programs do.

I don't run around posting petersen pictures banging the drum that everything he does is superior. I've been critical before about his OKG stuff and not being as willing to be cut throat and go hard after other kids that have verbally committed to other programs and shut down their recruiting just like most other coaches do to his kids. It's self limiting in the name of an honor code that simply doesn't exist no matter how hard he tries to push it.

What that list doesn't provide is a breakdown of the level of kids each school has offered. It's one thing to offer 200 4*+ kids going after the top shelf of the sport, and quite another to offer a crap load of 2* and 3* kids in desperation like a few of those schools in the middle of that pack are forced to do.

I simply found that list interesting in what little it does provide as a glimpse of how many different approaches their are to recruiting.

I think if you're going to play with the big boys you're shopping in the same section. yeah there are some who might not be a good fit for Washington but it's not that great of a percentage. I looked at the list of targets for Washington and out of the first 15 or so ( I just looked at 15) and every one but maybe two has an offer from USC and all but two or three have offers from Alabama and or Ohio State. You can't have playoff aspirations and not try and get these difference makers. I think the main difference between USC and the Huskies is USC will offer five or six from Texas and another three from Georgia and four in Florida and maybe one or two in new Jersey of Penn. I think Washington has their culture which is different from the Ohio States Alabamas Michigans and USC. So it's a good fit for some and they can hone in on players who seem like that's better for them. Amon-Ra St, Brown you would think is'nt a OKG type player if you really think about it yet he's got offers from Washington and Boise and Bama and USC. He's flamboyant and a showboat but Petersens not stupid. He offered him and he'd take him if he said yes.

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About 1/3 of those that have voted find any kind of value from early recruiting rankings. Little surprised. Would have thought that number would be quite a bit lower.

Used to be I didn't even pay any attention to them until after Christmas or about a month left until signing day. Last year that was moved up to Thanksgiving with the earlier signing day.

Teams like USC that offer a bunch of the elite 5* kids that typically don't announce without some media event in the final hours is never going to be high up on early lists, but will always finish with a bang. UW might be second right now in the conf, but it's way too early for that to mean anything at all. Like even a little bit IMO.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you're going to play with the big boys you're shopping in the same section. yeah there are some who might not be a good fit for Washington but it's not that great of a percentage. I looked at the list of targets for Washington and out of the first 15 or so ( I just looked at 15) and every one but maybe two has an offer from USC and all but two or three have offers from Alabama and or Ohio State. You can't have playoff aspirations and not try and get these difference makers. I think the main difference between USC and the Huskies is USC will offer five or six from Texas and another three from Georgia and four in Florida and maybe one or two in new Jersey of Penn. I think Washington has their culture which is different from the Ohio States Alabamas Michigans and USC. So it's a good fit for some and they can hone in on players who seem like that's better for them. Amon-Ra St, Brown you would think is'nt a OKG type player if you really think about it yet he's got offers from Washington and Boise and Bama and USC. He's flamboyant and a showboat but Petersens not stupid. He offered him and he'd take him if he said yes.
Of course all of the kids UW have offered have other offers from USC and/or other higher level programs. I mean they likely have a few hidden gems they like that aren't on others radars, but not many. The question was how many have USC and others offered that UW hasn't simply because of the OKG stuff. If it's anything greater than zero it is a self imposed limiting factor in top level of talent the team is able to reach. You know I've always been a least a little leery of that.

Again, those small numbers of offers so far at least suggests they are drawing from a smaller pool. But they are super early numbers as well. No idea how many others they are working on that haven't received formal offers yet.

CorpRebel

Rock-n-Roll
Hoopla Cash
$ 650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^
That's the shit I'm still concerned about going into '18. You can't be considered a playoff threat with trash numbers like that. Kicking game bit Oregon one of their seasons and it for sure hurt UW last year.

Fix that shit Petersen.

61% FG completion rate, and it's not like they were trying a ton of 50y plus kicks. They were missing 20y kicks all over the damned place. It was disgusting.

I can sympathize with you about kicking game issues. USC's FG kicking has pretty IFFY the past few years too... :nod:

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I asked what UW asst. coach. Sorry if I triggered anyone with that question.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I don't even know what the topic is right now. Just figured AG was pimping up the Huskies like he always does. And is there really that much of difference between Washington & Washington State?:heh:
Isn't there a B1G thread for you to troll.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked what UW asst. coach. Sorry if I triggered anyone with that question.

Like I mentioned in an earlier comment on this page I thought you were pimping up your Huskies again. You have done that a time or 2 in the past.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't there a B1G thread for you to troll.
I mean they have their own thread like Rutgers has a football team. They have one but no one watches it.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I mentioned in an earlier comment on this page I thought you were pimping up your Huskies. You're kinda know for that.
Washington could have a losing season and I'd still find a way to pimp them. With that said there's a UW asst. coach that has his own internet radio show and he has a big fvkng mouth imo. I'm just curious if he's the one who got triggered over Oregon's recruiting.