• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pac 12 basketball

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alkins staying for soph year. Huge news for Zona. This likely means no Bowen though. Wonder where he'll end up. I would have said MSU until Bridges returned. Will he really go to DePaul or Creighton? Or does he still go out west to play at Oregon. Which would be a huge get for Altman.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alkins staying for soph year. Huge news for Zona. This likely means no Bowen though. Wonder where he'll end up. I would have said MSU until Bridges returned. Will he really go to DePaul or Creighton? Or does he still go out west to play at Oregon. Which would be a huge get for Altman.

And Akot just reclassed from 2018 to 2017 for us. He'll be a nice addition and fill our gap at SF.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Akot just reclassed from 2018 to 2017 for us. He'll be a nice addition and fill our gap at SF.

I saw that as well. If PJC can run the point efficiently, this will be Zona's 2nd best chance to make the FF under Miller IMO. Still think the 2014 team was his best, just got undone by injuries. Zona's going to be loaded. Its to bad Zona/MSU don't play this year. Might be #1/#2 heading into the season. Hopefully they'll play Nova in the Battle for Atlantis.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that as well. If PJC can run the point efficiently, this will be Zona's 2nd best chance to make the FF under Miller IMO. Still think the 2014 team was his best, just got undone by injuries. Zona's going to be loaded. Its to bad Zona/MSU don't play this year. Might be #1/#2 heading into the season. Hopefully they'll play Nova in the Battle for Atlantis.

PJC made better gains last year than I thought he would. It'll be nice if he can continue to improve to at least 6 and 6 for his senior year. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Trier can do in a full year. Other than Dusan, this team should end up a solid defensive group once again. They should be able to go inside-out and outside-in. Hopefully they will be working on the zone, and buying in. Trier should be the leader and last-shot guy.

If I'm not mistaken though, heading into last year, AZ was lining up to have Ferguson, Trier (in his entirety), and Ray Smith, along with Markkanen, Allen, Alkins, PJC, and the rest. We saw how that all went, so I'm still waiting for November.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJC made better gains last year than I thought he would. It'll be nice if he can continue to improve to at least 6 and 6 for his senior year. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Trier can do in a full year. Other than Dusan, this team should end up a solid defensive group once again. They should be able to go inside-out and outside-in. Hopefully they will be working on the zone, and buying in. Trier should be the leader and last-shot guy.

If I'm not mistaken though, heading into last year, AZ was lining up to have Ferguson, Trier (in his entirety), and Ray Smith, along with Markkanen, Allen, Alkins, PJC, and the rest. We saw how that all went, so I'm still waiting for November.

Yeah, I really hope Zona is able to stay healthy for a full season. 3 out of the last 4 years you guys have been hit hard with injuries. Zona is going to have incredible depth this year. As of right now, I'd think Zona and MSU would be the favorites to meet up in the title game. Obviously a long way to go between then and now, but the last couple days have been big for Zona, as far as who they'll have next season.

Do you think the starting 5 will look like this:

PG: PJC
SG: Trier
SF: Alkins
PF: Dusan
C: Ayton

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I really hope Zona is able to stay healthy for a full season. 3 out of the last 4 years you guys have been hit hard with injuries. Zona is going to have incredible depth this year. As of right now, I'd think Zona and MSU would be the favorites to meet up in the title game. Obviously a long way to go between then and now, but the last couple days have been big for Zona, as far as who they'll have next season.

Do you think the starting 5 will look like this:

PG: PJC
SG: Trier
SF: Alkins
PF: Dusan
C: Ayton

That's how I see it, too. I guess to split hairs, I think Ayton might end up being listed as a PF next year just because he is trying to improve on his perimeter game, and Dusan has only shot like 15 3pts during his three years in Tucson. But Ayton will guard their best post guy, just because Dusan is useless on D.

I think that Randolph, Akot, and Pinder will come off the bench nicely, with the possibility of Barcello, Dylan Smith, Lee, and Denny to play tertiary roles. I think one of them gets into the rotation (especially with an injury). I know a lot of people are hoping that Barcello does well; I like him too, and I also liked what I saw from Dylan Smith at the Red/Blue game last year. Hopefully he can surprise after a year of practicing with the team.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obvioisly I'm excited about Ayton but I'm probably equally as excited about Barcello. He may not play much next year but I think he can become TJ McConnell 2.0 for us. I wanted that kid ever since his underclassmen years of HS. He has that winning mentality that TJ had. Will be an awesome 4 year kid. I think he'll be that player that other fans hate unless he was on their team.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy classes compared to the UCLAs, USCs, Cals, and Stanfords that ASU competes with for most of their recruits. AZ is in the same category as ASU. As respectable as both schools are in academics (relatively speaking), neither school is an academic powerhouse like some of the other schools I just named.

Just one example:
"#1 in the U.S. for innovation
For the second consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report ranks ASU No. 1 on its “Most Innovative Schools” list, ahead of Stanford at No. 2 and MIT at No. 3. The ranking is based on a survey of college presidents, provosts and admissions deans across the country. ASU is a leader in student entrepreneurship, knowledge delivery and student support services, and is continually offering degrees in emerging fields"

Not to mention our great programs:
Arizona State also offers a wide range of highly ranked graduate programs through schools including the W. P. Carey School of Business, the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering and the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just one example:
"#1 in the U.S. for innovation
For the second consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report ranks ASU No. 1 on its “Most Innovative Schools” list, ahead of Stanford at No. 2 and MIT at No. 3. The ranking is based on a survey of college presidents, provosts and admissions deans across the country. ASU is a leader in student entrepreneurship, knowledge delivery and student support services, and is continually offering degrees in emerging fields"

Not to mention our great programs:
Arizona State also offers a wide range of highly ranked graduate programs through schools including the W. P. Carey School of Business, the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering and the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College.

Fan-fucking-tastic, Fork. Congrats on being #1 on innovation. I can't even wipe my ass with that.

And none of the recruits are looking at graduate programs to make their decision about where to play basketball. If the recruits are interested in the undergrad equivalent, then chances are they are not trying to get such a stellar education and be drafted, or they would go to one of the four top scholastic schools in CA (etc.) to try and do both. When it comes down to it, ASU doesn't hold a candle to Stanford, Cal, UCLA, and USC. Look at ASU compared to those schools in the exact same rankings you chose (US News).

#5 Stanford
#20 Cal
#23 USC
#24 UCLA

#124 AZ
#129 ASU

That's for undergrads. See how that works? Now, I completely understand that ASU has some well-ranked graduate programs. So does AZ. And for grad students, those rankings matter more than the overall college ranking--yes. But these kids don't give two fucks about what ASU's law program, or AZ's philosophy program are ranked, because they are going to play basketball, and are looking to enter the draft, not get a JD, or a PhD. When the recruits show up on campus as freshmen, their classes will be more difficult at those four schools than they will be at ASU. And being #1 in innovation, along with $2.00 still won't get you a gallon of gas.

So don't take it that I'm just talking shit about ASU, because AZ is right next to them. But neither of those schools are offering the challenging courses for undergrads that those four schools in CA offer.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fan-fucking-tastic, Fork. Congrats on being #1 on innovation. I can't even wipe my ass with that.

And none of the recruits are looking at graduate programs to make their decision about where to play basketball. If the recruits are interested in the undergrad equivalent, then chances are they are not trying to get such a stellar education and be drafted, or they would go to one of the four top scholastic schools in CA (etc.) to try and do both. When it comes down to it, ASU doesn't hold a candle to Stanford, Cal, UCLA, and USC. Look at ASU compared to those schools in the exact same rankings you chose (US News).

#5 Stanford
#20 Cal
#23 USC
#24 UCLA

#124 AZ
#129 ASU

That's for undergrads. See how that works? Now, I completely understand that ASU has some well-ranked graduate programs. So does AZ. And for grad students, those rankings matter more than the overall college ranking--yes. But these kids don't give two fucks about what ASU's law program, or AZ's philosophy program are ranked, because they are going to play basketball, and are looking to enter the draft, not get a JD, or a PhD. When the recruits show up on campus as freshmen, their classes will be more difficult at those four schools than they will be at ASU. And being #1 in innovation, along with $2.00 still won't get you a gallon of gas.

So don't take it that I'm just talking shit about ASU, because AZ is right next to them. But neither of those schools are offering the challenging courses for undergrads that those four schools in CA offer.
Write a book why don't you! Holy fuck! Calm down.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out @ReignofTroy's Tweet:
Not totally sure but think USC basically returns everyone now

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out @ReignofTroy's Tweet:
Not totally sure but think USC basically returns everyone now

Returns everyone, plus Thornton(Duke PG) is now eligible, along with an incoming McDonald's AA, and another 4 star recruit. USC is loaded next season. Top 10 team IMO.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would be a great H&H series. Props to Bama and Zona if this does indeed get done.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Would be a great H&H series. Props to Bama and Zona if this does indeed get done.

It's probably because our AD just went to Bama.

I hope it turns out to be a great series. Looks like Bama's a top 50 game for us, hopefully it'll turn into a top 25 game. The road game to Tuscaloosa should be good for the team, regardless.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably because our AD just went to Bama.

I hope it turns out to be a great series. Looks like Bama's a top 50 game for us, hopefully it'll turn into a top 25 game. The road game to Tuscaloosa should be good for the team, regardless.

Yeah the Gophers play Bama this year in the Barclay's Classic. They should be a tournament team given their recruiting class and who they bring back. I love when P5 schedule H&H's with each other. Much respect which is why I hope this series happens. I'm all for teams playing outside their comfort zone.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Gophers play Bama this year in the Barclay's Classic. They should be a tournament team given their recruiting class and who they bring back. I love when P5 schedule H&H's with each other. Much respect which is why I hope this series happens. I'm all for teams playing outside their comfort zone.

I completely agree. I get the non-con tourneys and the neutral games, but I think the P5 H&Hs are so much better for the fans and for teams to really get a sense of tough games before conference play starts. With the exception of games like UK/Duke or UNC/KU games like the Champions Classic, H&H is the way to go. I went to the Zags/AZ game last year at Staples and there were like 8k fans there. Completely pointless to replicate a deep March game or show the kids how to play under pressure. The H&H games that GU and AZ played over the last couple years (and the ones they scheduled to come) are far better.

I know Miller has said that he will do H&Hs with anyone who wants to. He did one with Florida a few years ago that was fantastic. He also did one with Michigan but UM was down when they came to McKale. Sucks because a lot of the elite programs refuse to do it. I think they're great for CBB.

Last edited:

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Bama's basketball team can schedule a home and home with a PAC 12 team, then why in hell can't Bama's football team, schedule a home and home with a PAC 12 team?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. I get the non-con tourneys and the neutral games, but I think the P5 H&Hs are so much better for the fans and for teams to really get a sense of tough games before conference play starts. With the exception of games like UK/Duke or UNC/KU games like the Champions Classic, H&H is the way to go. I went to the Zags/AZ game last year at Staples and there were like 8k fans there. Completely pointless to replicate a deep March game or show the kids how to play under pressure. The H&H games that GU and AZ played over the last couple years (and the ones they scheduled to come) are far better.

I know Miller has said that he will do H&Hs with anyone who wants to. He did one with Florida a few years ago that was fantastic. He also did one with Michigan but UM was down when they came to McKale. Sucks because a lot of the elite programs refuse to do it. I think they're great for CBB.

Yeah I give Miller and Zona much respect for his OOC scheduling philosophies. I do know Zona is in the Battle 4 Atlantis this year, which is right up there as being the beat early season tournament. I'm not too familiar with what else is on the slate, but its going to generally be full of some challenging games. Hoping we see a Nova/Zona final in the Battle 4 Atlantis. I'm really looking forward to this year. Pac 12 is setting up nicely with 2 top 10 teams IMO(Zona/USC) another top 20 team IMO(UCLA) and I think Oregon will be a top 25 team.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I give Miller and Zona much respect for his OOC scheduling philosophies. I do know Zona is in the Battle 4 Atlantis this year, which is right up there as being the beat early season tournament. I'm not too familiar with what else is on the slate, but its going to generally be full of some challenging games. Hoping we see a Nova/Zona final in the Battle 4 Atlantis. I'm really looking forward to this year. Pac 12 is setting up nicely with 2 top 10 teams IMO(Zona/USC) another top 20 team IMO(UCLA) and I think Oregon will be a top 25 team.

The B4A might be pretty interesting. Purdue, W. Kentucky, SMU, N. Iowa, Tennessee, NC State and some others are all playing, so we'll see.

Looks like AZ's non-con for next year in addition to the B4A will be NAU, UMBC, CSU Bakersfield, LBSU, @UNLV, TAMU (Neutral site in PHX after last year's neutral site in Houston), Bama, @UNM, NDSU, and UCONN. If AZ can play Nova and some other quality teams in the B4A it should shape up as a decent OOC. Not very many ranked teams but hopefully a bunch of top 50s in there.

As far as the Pac is concerned, I'm hoping for more than a 4-bid conference, but we'll see. I think AZ only plays the Socal schools once this season, and in McKale.

I think our H&H with the Zags starts up again in 2018.