• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pablo's offseason regimen

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

I love that goofy kid, but really?

My prediction of no Panda resurgence is strengthened by this....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am willing to forgive just about anything for the next week or so. Kid just won the World Series AND we do not know that he actually ate the whole thing.

(allow me to live in my dream world, please)

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There isn't a lot Pablo can do in 120 days without compromising muscle mass. Frankly, I don't think he should even try to do too much. But this is where anabolic steroids could really help him shed some fat quickly while maintaining muscle mass.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Baggs today:

Sabean flatly said Sandoval would go to the minors if he doesn’t get his act together and lose weight this winter. The GM shouldered some responsibility for allowing last year’s “Camp Panda” to be heavily publicized, and for allowing the mass-marketing of a kid who clearly hadn’t established himself in the big leagues yet.

Sandoval will have benchmarks to meet at various points this offseason, which he’ll spend in San Diego while working with fitness and nutrition experts. Then he’ll report to Arizona a month early for spring training.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Baggs today:

Sabean flatly said Sandoval would go to the minors if he doesn’t get his act together and lose weight this winter. The GM shouldered some responsibility for allowing last year’s “Camp Panda” to be heavily publicized, and for allowing the mass-marketing of a kid who clearly hadn’t established himself in the big leagues yet.

Sandoval will have benchmarks to meet at various points this offseason, which he’ll spend in San Diego while working with fitness and nutrition experts. Then he’ll report to Arizona a month early for spring training.

This I like to hear/read. Thanks tz.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Baggs today:

Yeah, I just don't see how Panda is going to shed the amount of weight he needs to while maintaining muscle mass. Probably better to just assume he goes to AAA for an extended period.

OTOH, does any of this sound a bit like Bill Walsh getting all over Bubba Parris for coming into camp every year @ +300? Just before the era when everyone wanted their tackles/guards to be over 300 lbs. And yes, WCO, yada yada yada.....Still think Walsh made too big of a deal about Bubba's weight. I mean, WTF, you draft a guy named Bubba you get what you get.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Interesting last note from Baggs:

As a result, the payroll already is forecasted to be over $100 million for the first time.

“And that $100-plus does not count specially our interests, which is both Huff and Uribe,” Sabean said. “The payroll obviously is going to be north of where it is now with the positions to fill.”

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I just don't see how Panda is going to shed the amount of weight he needs to while maintaining muscle mass. Probably better to just assume he goes to AAA for an extended period.

OTOH, does any of this sound a bit like Bill Walsh getting all over Bubba Parris for coming into camp every year @ +300? Just before the era when everyone wanted their tackles/guards to be over 300 lbs. And yes, WCO, yada yada yada.....Still think Walsh made too big of a deal about Bubba's weight. I mean, WTF, you draft a guy named Bubba you get what you get.

Not sure your point...

I remember the hubbub about Bubba (you like that?) but I do not / have not followed the Niners to even a fraction of the amount that I follow the Giants, so I can not claim a lot of familiarity with the details. Was Bubba's play feeling the effects of his weight? If it was, then Walsh had every right / responsibility to get on him about it.

I know that Panda's play is effected by his weight, and he cannot continue to be a major leaguer if he does not get it under control. Therefore, Sabean et al have EVERY right and responsibility to ride him hard about it as well.

(I guess, to answer your question, this does remind me of the Bubba situation)

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not sure your point...

I remember the hubbub about Bubba (you like that?) but I do not / have not followed the Niners to even a fraction of the amount that I follow the Giants, so I can not claim a lot of familiarity with the details. Was Bubba's play feeling the effects of his weight? If it was, then Walsh had every right / responsibility to get on him about it.

I know that Panda's play is effected by his weight, and he cannot continue to be a major leaguer if he does not get it under control. Therefore, Sabean et al have EVERY right and responsibility to ride him hard about it as well.

(I guess, to answer your question, this does remind me of the Bubba situation)

Every time Bubba failed to perform like a HOF tackle it was because of his excess weight - according to Walsh. I just think we're assuming that the weight is the main factor with Panda, when it could be the guy is just out of shape. Being cardiovascularly fit, and quick, is not mutually exclusive with having 40lbs of excess fat. Maybe I'm speaking to my own assumptions that the main point here is that he needs to lose weight.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a player regresses as much as Pablo did this year, there has to be something to blame beyond the "sophomore slump." Naturally, people point to his weight, which is certainly a problem if he wants to be a professional athlete for the next decade (or even the next five years). The bigger problem is his pitch selection, especially with runners on first and less than two outs.

Whereas, Bubba Paris' lack of lateral quickness and proper technique with his drop-step in pass protection can be directly related to his weight, Pablo's extra pounds doesn't necessarily make him a worse player (as evidenced by the fact that he was overweight during his surprise '09). It is certainly a possible symptom, and I doubt it would hurt him to drop 20 lbs., but much like the current 300+ pounders in the NFL and Bubba Paris, some people are the same weight as Pablo, and they're just better athletes or have honed their craft better within that weight. Furthermore, the bigger fear is a fluctuation in playing weights for individuals, which is what Walsh was mainly pissed about. Bubba was routinely 30 lbs. over his playing weight from the previous year when he would get to camp. Bottom line: Yes. Pablo should lose weight, but it certainly won't bring him back to '09 caliber by itself. Yes. The NFL is full of players much larger than Bubba Paris now, but they are better athletes and Walsh was looking out for the longevity of Mr. Paris' career. Not that coaches don't do that now, but I definitely believe since head coaching positions are so volatile, they can look beyond a guy ruining his knees after five years of service.

Kendal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pablo's hitting decline may or may not be a result of his weight, I think it is. But his bad defense is directly a result of his weight. He has way more value to this team if he can stick at 3rd base.
He needs to lose at least 30 pounds before next season, and he needs to keep it off. 30 pounds is a reasonable amount to lose, not too difficult for a guy his size. He should call Geovany Soto and ask for some diet tips. He lost about 40 pounds last offseason and bounced back from a bad 2009 season and had a great year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you watched the press conference, what Kendal said is basically what Sabes said. A reporter asked him what the real problem with his hitting was and Sabes basically said that other teams advanced scouts did an incredible job on how to attack him with certain pitches and Pablo wouldn't adjust. He had great batting practices but it never translated to the games because the game sped up for him and he was lost.

When Sabes talked about his weight, it was pretty clear that the weight problem is directly involved with his defensive play. 2nd half of last year he went from an average 3rd baseman to a terrible one.

I also give credit to Sabes for taking some blame for Pablo's year with the Camp Panda PR and putting a lot of pressure on the kid. He said the organization learned a lesson to not over hype players after 1 year and they will market Posey much differently, hoping that the players fly under the radar from now on. I wasn't a fan of Camp Panda last year and I'm glad Sabes owned up on that one.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I hear ya. Paris had a solid game against the Bengals in the 89 SB, but yeah, I vaguely remember Walsh getting on paris about his weight quite a bit (I was a kid growing up in the 80s). Paris always had the strength to play the blind side, but I remember speed rushers always beating him. I think that's why Steve Wallace was a much better option than Paris. McKittrick always had this thing for smaller, athletic OL and Wallace was definitely smaller and more mobile than Paris.

As far as Panda goes, yeah I can see the weight issue and why Sabes and Bochy made comments about it today, but Panda's had some serious issues (divorce, mom, child custody). We don't know how much depression he was suffering from and sometimes, people deal with depression by overeating because it makes them feel good. When you're depressed, it's hard to kick a habit and that's something that the Panda has to deal with.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I believe he fails to lose weight and shows up to ST at 250.He is then demoted to Minor league camp until he loses 20 lbs and then brought back as BU catcher.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he fails to lose weight and shows up to ST at 250.He is then demoted to Minor league camp until he loses 20 lbs and then brought back as BU catcher.

The Giants would be thrilled if he only weighed 250.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best part from Baggs' interview on the radio

It's "gut-check" time for Pablo

All that upside cannot disappear in one season, can it?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best part from Baggs' interview on the radio

It's "gut-check" time for Pablo

All that upside cannot disappear in one season, can it?

My favorite quip about Pablo was that Philly sportswriter who described him coming up to bat as 'stepping up to his second-favorite plate'