• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Over/Under 12 Gauge?

Buckeye

Follow the Way
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone own one? I was thinking about buying one. Any advice?

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are you looking @ a specific model?

are you looking into birds, trap, skeet, all of the above?

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't go with a cheap one like a stoeger condor.

I personally own a Merkel 201E 12 GA 30" BBL's Double triggers, strait hand stock, IC/Mod fixed chokes. weighs 7lbs 2 ozs. I'm not into single triggers and screw in chokes. This is the only O/U I own I prefer the SxS shotguns way more. It's one of the few o/u that came alive in my hands and fits me well. I hunt in the Sandhills of Nebraska and SD for upland birds and if a 12 GA wieghs more than 7' 4" it will not go in my safe. I don't want any xtra weight.

But here are my suggestions when looking for one. You want longer barrels 28" or longer why the action is part of the barrels. Longer barrels allow you to aquire the target quicker and keeps the gun swinging. I want the gun to feel alive in my hands. If it feels like a 4x4 to you walk away. When shouldering the gun you are looking at you should only see about 2" of the rib. If you see more rib the gun will shoot high no rib or top lever will shoot low. Length of pull is critical and don't do that elbow pit to finger bullshit. Your neck, chest, cheek, arm length all go into how a shotgun will fit you. I'm 5' 8" and shoot 14 3/4" LOP 1 1/2" DAC and 2 3/8 DAH. You should be able to drag the gun up to your shoulder with out pushing the gun foreward and you face should be around a inch and half away from your thumb when the gun is to you face. Close you eyes and open them after you have shoulder the gun. Check if you are looking right down the barrels or off to the left or right. If you are looking off the side you don't have enough (cast off) right eye or (cast on) left eye.

As far as new guns go I like the new Browning 725 becuase they scaled that over beefed frame down and took weight away. Plus they put a mechanical single trigger in the gun which is way better than there old trigger. Beretta makes a nice one in 686's and 687's line. Just my two cents.

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets see the SKB 585----Ruger Red label and the Browning Citori,,,,,,,all three are excellent shotguns for shooting trap or use in the field,pick one of these and you can't go wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what it really boils down to don't buy cheap and get what you want,if you settle for one because of price instead of it being what you want,you'll never be happy with it

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/...ons-q/65560-petition-guns-shooting-forum.html

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the money you can't beat the Winchester 101.......

Buckeye

Follow the Way
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't go with a cheap one like a stoeger condor.

I personally own a Merkel 201E 12 GA 30" BBL's Double triggers, strait hand stock, IC/Mod fixed chokes. weighs 7lbs 2 ozs. I'm not into single triggers and screw in chokes. This is the only O/U I own I prefer the SxS shotguns way more. It's one of the few o/u that came alive in my hands and fits me well. I hunt in the Sandhills of Nebraska and SD for upland birds and if a 12 GA wieghs more than 7' 4" it will not go in my safe. I don't want any xtra weight.

But here are my suggestions when looking for one. You want longer barrels 28" or longer why the action is part of the barrels. Longer barrels allow you to aquire the target quicker and keeps the gun swinging. I want the gun to feel alive in my hands. If it feels like a 4x4 to you walk away. When shouldering the gun you are looking at you should only see about 2" of the rib. If you see more rib the gun will shoot high no rib or top lever will shoot low. Length of pull is critical and don't do that elbow pit to finger bullshit. Your neck, chest, cheek, arm length all go into how a shotgun will fit you. I'm 5' 8" and shoot 14 3/4" LOP 1 1/2" DAC and 2 3/8 DAH. You should be able to drag the gun up to your shoulder with out pushing the gun foreward and you face should be around a inch and half away from your thumb when the gun is to you face. Close you eyes and open them after you have shoulder the gun. Check if you are looking right down the barrels or off to the left or right. If you are looking off the side you don't have enough (cast off) right eye or (cast on) left eye.

As far as new guns go I like the new Browning 725 becuase they scaled that over beefed frame down and took weight away. Plus they put a mechanical single trigger in the gun which is way better than there old trigger. Beretta makes a nice one in 686's and 687's line. Just my two cents.

Thank you