• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Over the hump - Ryan Tannehill

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is talking about Tannehill and how he needs to and should get over the hump this season with the help of Bill Lazor. My question is, what do you consider “over the hump”? Division title? winning the AFC? Getting to and winning the SB? What?

What if Tannehill improves on his stats but does not accomplish any of the above goals? Will that mean he didnt get over the hump? Your thoughts?

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Needs to be team leader is #1
Need to make playoffs #2
Need to be in top 10 QB rankings (overall)

Three simple things to do this season. Year three is a make or break year IMO

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if he leads them into the playoffs nothing else will matter. Needs to be a leader!

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
psaboy, I dont know if I would call those things simple - especially with a new offensive line and scheme to learn

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just being honest here, we aren't in a position to be a playoff team this season. The Patriots are by far and away the best team in the division and a top 5 team in the league every year until proven otherwise. And the Jets have made a lot of good moves, and right now are just the better team. I would love to see 9 wins out of our team, but even then, I still don't think we'd be in the playoffs. So to expect Tannehill to carry us to the playoffs is too much to ask at this point.

For this season, I just want to him take command of the team and improve on consistency. If he can do that with a rebuilt offensive line and a new offensive scheme, then we know that he is a true franchise QB. I'd like to his TD to turnover ratio be 2 to 1. Overall, just show improvement and leadership, and I'll be just fine. He's the first QB I've felt confident about since Marino. That's saying a lot.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just being honest here, we aren't in a position to be a playoff team this season. The Patriots are by far and away the best team in the division and a top 5 team in the league every year until proven otherwise. And the Jets have made a lot of good moves, and right now are just the better team. I would love to see 9 wins out of our team, but even then, I still don't think we'd be in the playoffs. So to expect Tannehill to carry us to the playoffs is too much to ask at this point.

For this season, I just want to him take command of the team and improve on consistency. If he can do that with a rebuilt offensive line and a new offensive scheme, then we know that he is a true franchise QB. I'd like to his TD to turnover ratio be 2 to 1. Overall, just show improvement and leadership, and I'll be just fine. He's the first QB I've felt confident about since Marino. That's saying a lot.

Jakology, I have to disagree. The Fins beat the Pats last year. The Fins can play with the top teams in the NFL. They beat other playoff teams. The Fins just didn't play well in games that they had the talent to win. The Fins have a more favorable schedule this year than the Pats due to the Pats having a better record. RE Tannehill's development: If the Oline is as good as I think they can be, I see no reason that Tannehill can't lead the team to the playoffs. He has Lazor who is a very good OC, a RB that was in the Superbowl last year, L Miller who is an up and coming RB, He has a talented group of WR's, (I wouldn't trade the Fins' WR's for the Pat's WR's)& he has Clay who is a very good TE. I also want to see THill's INT's decrease & I want to see him follow Lazor's advice RE when to get rid of the ball. I think Tannehill has the talent to win. This could & should be the year that he shows all that he is the franchise QB for the present & future for the Fins.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOF I agree there's no reason for them to be worse than last year. Right now the only flaws that the experts are hanging on are the LB's and if the oline will gel. I believe that both will be improved maybe not a strength but better than last year. They've also improved most of the other areas so unless the pats and jets have improved greatly the Fins have a shot.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOF I agree there's no reason for them to be worse than last year. Right now the only flaws that the experts are hanging on are the LB's and if the oline will gel. I believe that both will be improved maybe not a strength but better than last year. They've also improved most of the other areas so unless the pats and jets have improved greatly the Fins have a shot.

Agreed Flyerfinfan,

I think that the LB position has some uncertainty however I think that Ellerbe's play will improve with his move to OLB. Misi could become the MLB that the Fins need. I think he will be better verse the run.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What some people don't seem to understand is that their oline and LB's were so bad it won't be that hard to improve! Even still they almost made the playoffs. I would be shocked if they didn't get better in multiple areas including Tannys overall play as the surrounding cast around him is much better.

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paolo, at some point he has to be able to overcome those things and "be the difference" JMO. I feel he has to make progress this year towards the three goals I felt important. If he stays same as last year or slides back a bit, do you give him one more year or draft or sign a FA for comp for #1 team position next year? He has the big time receiver and possession receiver and I feel a decent set of backs.

They should have made playoffs last year with what I feel is worse conditions last year vs this coming year.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just maintaining realistic expectations is all. I know this team can compete with anyone. But look at what the Pats have done this offseason. They have a chance to have the best record in the league this season. Not saying we can't beat them, but they are the favorites. That's all I meant. And the Jets have just done more and look better on paper to me. I'm not trying to be a pessimist here at all. I think we can win 10 games if things go right. I think 8 or 9 wins is about right though.

I think people are looking at Bill Lazor and thinking that our offense is going to be elite right off the bat. He is a great coach, don't get me wrong, but to expect that to happen so quickly is unrealistic. I know it happened in Philly, but think about it. Philly has arguably the greatest offensive mind in all of football right now in Chip Kelly. So yes, the playoffs are a possibility and I hope we make it, but to say playoffs or bust is a bit unfair in my opinion. Especially if you're going to dump Tannehill just because of missing the playoffs.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the problem in the NFL generally these days is unrealistic expectations being put on QBs.

On topic, Given the nature of the division, 10 wins (and at least 4-2 in division) has got to be the target, whether that gets to the playoffs or not.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still believe that everything hinges on the oline. I think they made some good moves but will they be ready this year?