• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our New Offense

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Musgrave is the OC, the first positive development of the offseason. This combined with some points @Mingo made in another thread lead me to believe the offense is going to transition to a power first blocking scheme. That may require a couple more pieces on the line but I like the idea because I like having a physical, punishing offense. Here are some of the keys I see as critical to rebuilding the offense (in order of importance by my estimation):

QB:

I can see a whole host of things happening here. I think the most likely is the Broncos draft a QB. I like Mayfield the most because of 1) his accuracy and 2) his moxie. He’s the kind of QB that fans will dislike unless he was on their team. I also think he’s most likely available at #5 sine Rosen and Darnold are both consistently rated higher. The Browns have 2 picks and aren’t using both on a QB, leaving the Colts (who just traded for a QB) and the Giants. I believe Mayfield will be available at the 5th pick but I know a lot of people will argue he’s not worth that pick. I don’t get into draft value arguments: if he helps the team win we can assess value later down the road. I think Mayfield’s attitude will play nicely with a physical offense and combine for an edge the unit has lacked for a while now.

If the Broncos draft, they may need to sign a veteran backup. I don’t think they’d go into next season with a rookie and Chad Kelly at #2. There may be a few reasonable FAs available but one of the most reasonable options for a #2 is Trevor Siemian. That won’t be a popular opinion but we know if they draft then Lynch is as good as gone. Osweiler won’t resign either.

The other option is to go through FA or a trade. So many options here. I’ve said so many times now I hope the Broncos trade for Luck. This is, in fact, my first choice for the QB situation so John Elway, if you’re reading this, please see if you can make that happen. I have no idea what this trade would look like but the idea the Colts would put Luck on the block is not at all unreasonable. They put some draft capital into Brisset and he gave them a serviceable option in a dismal season. They may well also draft a QB, making Luck expendable. Luck in a Broncos uniform flips this team from 5-11 to 11-5 and pushing for a SB run. If this trade becomes available I’d love to see the Broncos pursue it.

The other FA/trade options are Brees (not happening) Manning (very likely going to Jacksonville) and Cousins. Cousins is the most likely non draft target for the Broncos but will come at a hefty price. His numbers are good but at the price the Broncos would have to pay Cousins doesn’t seem to have the “it” factor. To be fair though he’s been playing in one of the most dysfunctional environments in the NFL, so a change of scenery may be all he needs.

If the Broncos go “rental” with Manning or Brees then don’t be surprised if Lynch remains on as the #2. Either of those options are likely 2 year options and the team could exercise Lynch’s 5th year option at that time to see if he can be salvaged. This is actually not a bad option for the team since Manning elevates this team and if they can get an eventual starter out of their first round selection the team is set for years.

Those are some of the various routes to fixing the QB situation. There are probably some I’ve not considered but the basics are here.

Next up (I’m breaking this up to fit it all in), offensive line.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive line play is easily the second biggest culprit undermining the offense. But as bad as it was I feel like there is reason to believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. This unit has been a patchwork makeover year after year and it has shown on the field starting with 2015. But I think we have 4 guys who can be the start of a long term solution going forward.

Bolles, Leary, Paradis and McGovern may be a combination that fixes a lot of our woes at this position group. As @Mingo pointed out Paradis may not be the best fit in a power oriented scheme and McGovern may actually be the better option at C. That’s worth considering but even if this is the case I’d like to see Leary move back over to LG where he and Bolles will dominate that side of the line.

I haven’t scouted draft options for RT, but that position is easily the 2nd biggest need for this team. If McGovern moves to center you can add guard as the third. Still the improvement from last year to this year is hard to deny. The Broncos were 12th in rushing and that’s without a QB that anyone respected. That’s a testament to the line and an indicator that this unit is not as broken as it may appear. There’s something to build on here. I’d prefer they go through the draft to address RT but I’ve not reviewed the prospects to even have a clue as to the right fit being available.

Tight End:

One of life’s greatest mysteries is what is going on with the Broncos TE group! We don’t have a legit pass catching TE (Green led the group with 14 catches) but at the same time none of these guys were gainfully employed helping the turnstiles we had playing RT either.

The team seemed really high on Butt but his injury left him sidelined. Sounds like Heuerman. I don’t know why this team seems to have such rotten luck at TE but I’d like to see them add some depth if they think Butt is going to emerge the leader here. I’d also like to someone emerge as a legit pass catching option OR chalk up the position as primarily a blocking role. Right now they do neither and there is a lot of production to be had here. I don’t think the Broncos would miss a single one of the players they currently have on the roster, but I am willing to consider part of that may also be lackluster QB play.

Up next: Running backs and wide receivers.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive line play is easily the second biggest culprit undermining the offense. But as bad as it was I feel like there is reason to believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. This unit has been a patchwork makeover year after year and it has shown on the field starting with 2015. But I think we have 4 guys who can be the start of a long term solution going forward.

Bolles, Leary, Paradis and McGovern may be a combination that fixes a lot of our woes at this position group. As @Mingo pointed out Paradis may not be the best fit in a power oriented scheme and McGovern may actually be the better option at C. That’s worth considering but even if this is the case I’d like to see Leary move back over to LG where he and Bolles will dominate that side of the line.

I haven’t scouted draft options for RT, but that position is easily the 2nd biggest need for this team. If McGovern moves to center you can add guard as the third. Still the improvement from last year to this year is hard to deny. The Broncos were 12th in rushing and that’s without a QB that anyone respected. That’s a testament to the line and an indicator that this unit is not as broken as it may appear. There’s something to build on here. I’d prefer they go through the draft to address RT but I’ve not reviewed the prospects to even have a clue as to the right fit being available.

Tight End:

One of life’s greatest mysteries is what is going on with the Broncos TE group! We don’t have a legit pass catching TE (Green led the group with 14 catches) but at the same time none of these guys were gainfully employed helping the turnstiles we had playing RT either.

The team seemed really high on Butt but his injury left him sidelined. Sounds like Heuerman. I don’t know why this team seems to have such rotten luck at TE but I’d like to see them add some depth if they think Butt is going to emerge the leader here. I’d also like to someone emerge as a legit pass catching option OR chalk up the position as primarily a blocking role. Right now they do neither and there is a lot of production to be had here. I don’t think the Broncos would miss a single one of the players they currently have on the roster, but I am willing to consider part of that may also be lackluster QB play.

Up next: Running backs and wide receivers.

Question about Oline. If there was improvement, why fire Davidson other then he was a McCoy guy.
Denver needs to draft a matchup TE in round 3 or 4.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These last two position groups are easily the most functional for the Broncos offense though I can still see some changes coming.

Running Back:

I hope Anderson returns. I would hate to see him deemed expendable due to price tag when he is by far the most consistent element this offense has to offer. I like that he is a bruiser of a runner but has pretty good hands too. Going back to the Luck trade I start drooling orange thinking of Luck having a runner of Anderson’s style backing him up. He did have Gore in Indy and that was a solid combo. Anderson is no Gore but combine them with a better WR group and the options across the board are better.

With that said it wouldn’t surprise me if he becomes a cap casualty to help pay for a pricy QB. I’m not sold on Booker being able to be our first option. I liked what we saw out of Henderson but I’d like to see a lot more of that before I’m ready to anoint him the next T.D.

Expect a low round draft pick to shore up the depth in this group, as well as an UFA. If they part ways with Anderson maybe expect a mid round replacement for him as well. Hopefully that’s not the case.

Wide Receiver:

This is another position group that doesn’t need much fixing. Changes to this group will be driven by price tag more so than production deficits.

DT still anchors this group though sometimes he seems like he’s sleep walking through games. Sanders is a fan favorite and argualbly the most reliable option to make the tough catches. Latimer showed some signs of life his year but I question if it’ll be enough to warrant an extension. Jordan Taylor has emerged as a viable option at #3 if the team moves on from Latimer.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them try to restructure DT’s money, maybe even Sanders’ as well. A trio of DT, Sanders, Taylor would be pretty hard to top in a physical, run heavy offense (led by Andrew Luck). Both DT and Taylor are under rated as downfield blockers.

Despite under achieving as a group this year the WR core is arguably the strongest position group on this offense. I’m not against the idea of making some changes but of all the broken things to fix, this group requires the least attention if any at all.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question about Oline. If there was improvement, why fire Davidson other then he was a McCoy guy.
Denver needs to draft a matchup TE in round 3 or 4.

You’ve answered your own question. I’m guessing Musgrave will be able to weigh in heavily in building his offensive staff. I think that’s wise.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is one highlight reel. Not the best I have seen.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we wanna trade for Luck there’s 2 big issues we have to address. First is if he’s completely healthy and 100 percent for the beginning of next year because if he isn’t it’s not worth it. And the second is we’ve seen how he’s had a bad O-line in Indianapolis and what that’s done to him, if we’re on par with them then it’s not worth it either because he’s just going to get killed here too and now he’s 4 years older and his body is more broken-down.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we wanna trade for Luck there’s 2 big issues we have to address. First is if he’s completely healthy and 100 percent for the beginning of next year because if he isn’t it’s not worth it. And the second is we’ve seen how he’s had a bad O-line in Indianapolis and what that’s done to him, if we’re on par with them then it’s not worth it either because he’s just going to get killed here too and now he’s 4 years older and his body is more broken-down.
If he’s 100%, why would Indy trade him?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Luck being healthy is an assumption. I know Elway would want a complete evaluation before pulling the trigger on a trade like that. I don’t get into that part of the discussion because Luck failing such an evaluation renders the whole hypothetical mute. In the context I discuss it the assumption is he’s healthy enough to start week 1.

As for the O-line it’s as valid a point as one can make. I don’t think our line is quite as bad as the Colts, though it still has a lot of room for improvement. Here’s why I think it’ll work: the run blocking is there and with a QB like Luck the defense will have to respect the pass a hell of a lot more than they have had to the past few years. The synergy of the complete unit is what makes this possible.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he’s 100%, why would Indy trade him?

Because he costs a ton of money for a guy that’s missed 25+ games the last 3 years especially since the current GM and HC didn’t draft. They may want to just start over and draft a QB.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he costs a ton of money for a guy that’s missed 25+ games the last 3 years especially since the current GM and HC didn’t draft. They may want to just start over and draft a QB.

Yes, because great QB's like Luck grow on the family apple tree.

If he is healthy there is no way they trade him.

This isn't a Manning/Luck situation here.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not on offense but with so many off-season threads not sure another needed to be started and could it it in here.

I guess Talib spoke today saying he knows there is a chance he may get released. Roby's contract jumps from 1 mil to 8 mil this year and then we have a big decision on him.

Ideally I want to keep Talib. He is a Pro Bowl CB and a top 10 CB in this league... Hard to release a pro bowl CB. He is 32 and his contract is up in two years. Ideally I'd like him for at least one more year as if he shows decline we can cut him before the final year and not lose much money.

I think it would be nice for both parties if he could come up with a pay decrease and stick around but with the way things went this year not sure Talib is willing to do that not knowing what is ahead for next year.

Should be interesting. Playwise we need to keep him around but understand it comes down to money.

Just have always felt if you have a pro bowl LT, QB, Pass rusher, CB it's so hard to find elite players at those positions. I don't think it would be crazy to release him but I do think he is worth having around one more year.

TJ Ward was arrested for marijuana today.

Whatever the decision is on Talib I feel like he was a terrific fit for what we needed when we needed defensive help the most. We lacked physicality on our defense and adding Ward, Ware and Talib in the same year really started the turn around of this defense. 3 physical players who were everything we lacked at the time.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because great QB's like Luck grow on the family apple tree.

If he is healthy there is no way they trade him.

This isn't a Manning/Luck situation here.

I'm just saying it's hard enough to build a great team when you're paying a guy $100+ million especially if he isn't playing and just eating that money. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility of the Colts trading Luck, using that money to sign 3-4 big name players to help them and then draft a QB at #3. I doubt it happens and I don't think the Colts would trade Luck but they are run by Jim Irsay and we all know how he is.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying it's hard enough to build a great team when you're paying a guy $100+ million especially if he isn't playing and just eating that money. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility of the Colts trading Luck, using that money to sign 3-4 big name players to help them and then draft a QB at #3. I doubt it happens and I don't think the Colts would trade Luck but they are run by Jim Irsay and we all know how he is.

But remember you said a "healthy" Luck.

If he is healthy I don't see the Colts trading him, and if he isn't do we really trade for him? If he isn't healthy after a year off and another shoulder surgery it becomes very problematic unless they are gonna trade him very cheap which I doubt. They are going to give him longer to recover before just sending him to Denver unhealthy for a deal that we will accept.

Unless something goes Crazy and the Colts claim he is unhealthy and Denver claims he is healthy so we have no issue with giving up a lot for him, which just isn't likely to be the case.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sean Kugler confirms he is the new offensive line coach for the Denver Broncos.

Broncos first known RB coach candidate: The Bears’ Curtis Modkins

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good piece. I don't agree w/ everything but I like the work and thought process going on. Good work IKFB

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talib is one of my favorite players on the field - he has a very rare ability to make big plays in the NFL. I will have to say though - Roby at $8 million taking over a spot for Talib at $11 million - might make roster sense. Roby is also a guy who makes big plays - he is a tier - maybe two - down from Talib as a cover guy. I just think Roby can do it and he would approach the challenge with zest.