• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OTA News

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I figured since we finally got to some actual football being played on the field we could put anything we hear about OTA's here...

So far after the first day it sounds like the Broncos are practicing exclusively from under Center with Manning. This doesn't mean they won't have shot gun plays but Manning even admits that switching to him under Center half way through the season really affected him and his ability to make plays. So obviously good time to work on this is now.

Practices this year even on day one have been noticeably louder to those in attendance. This coaching staff has a lot more fire to it. Even read where some said that if the team had a swear jar they would have filled it and more just by two of the defensive coaches today. The speed of practice is noticeably faster as well.

CJ Anderson showed up this year in great shape. One media person made the joke that Adam Gase wouldn't be calling him fat this off season. Montee Ball seems to look more comfortable in this system as does Thompson. The one back that looks like he is struggling with the ZBS is that of Hillman.

OL wise so far the two guys that are shining are Clady and Sambrailo. They said that Sambrailo is in such better shape than he was back in February. They said his punch on the bags was only 2nd to that of Vasquez who is known for having one of the best punches in the game. Very good chance Sambrailo will be starting this year. At Center it looks like the job is Gradkowski's to lose. LG is where we could end up seeing the toughest competition.

At this time the team has decided to let Antonio Smith go work out his legal issues. They excused him from OTA's for the next couple of weeks in hopes that things can be resolved by then.

Those not practicing today were Antonio Smith, Brandon Marshall, Trevathan, Shane Ray, and D. Thomas. The team has been talking to Thomas but doesn't sound like they are any closer to getting a deal done.

So far that is all I have heard. Not much for the defensive side of the ball but a little harder to tell much on that side of the ball during OTA's.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Osweiler looked good and actually improved as practice went along. Last year at this time the notes were how much he was struggling to start off the year.

Jordan Norwood made the notes of many of the media guys looking like he was at midseason form. The same was said for Latimer making catches from Peyton all over the field.

Finally found some notes on the defensive side of the ball. They said the 3 guys that stood out on defense were Miller, Ware, and Wolfe. All three were being very disruptive and would have had multiple sacks throughout practice. The only other rookie that really made the notes was that of Lorenzo Doss. He ended practice with a great interception off of Dysert. He was known for his big play ability in college and it looks like it is showing up in the pros.

Again can't read too much into any of this as it is OTA's where contact is minimal and both sides are still trying to learn a brand new playbook. At this point the defense is ahead of the offense as it does sound like the playbook for the defense is much simpler than our last playbook and the players have adjusted very quickly.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so keep finding little pieces of info here and there.

Finally had somebody comment on how Manning's arm looked. They said he had plenty of zip on the ball. Didn't look like there was any kind of drop off from last season. His accuracy looked really good on all throws. He was connecting on the deep throws consistently (which was one of the biggest issues after his quad injury).
Outside of Denver Orlando Franklin talked about the switch in quarterbacks. He made the comment that Rivers is a lot more approachable than Manning. My guess is Manning was getting ticked that Franklin was leading the team in penalties for 3 straight years. I know some holding penalties are worth it to protect the quarterback but Manning does expect perfection from everybody and penalties throw off game plan. I can see him getting after Franklin.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one back that looks like he is struggling with the ZBS is that of Hillman.

That does not bode well for Hillman. I think he is on the block this year. He has not impressed me as a change of pace back.

He made the comment that Rivers is a lot more approachable than Manning.

Let's see how approachable Rivers is when he is throwing one of his tantrums on the sidelines.

Good stuff CD. Keep it coming. It makes me happy to hear some of these players that we predicted would be moving to a more natural scheme/position are doing well early. I also like hearing that the defense is doing good things. I see their improvement as the most important aspect of the year. If they can keep opposing offenses in check it will take pressure off the offense and Manning throughout the season.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I thought Hilman look pretty good last yr. He ran more aggessively IMO. So I looked up his stats... 106 att for 430 something yds, 4.1 yd avg, 6 tds and 1 fumble. He also of course did decently catching the ball. Now how he fits in the ZB scheme is still up in the air. Heard one sports announcer say that with Hilman`s ability to cut back, he thinks he will shine. IDK, guess we`ll find out soon enough.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I thought Hillman was our 2nd best RB at making the 1-cut and go this past year. He finally ran with some authority and had some nice running plays. At this point in the season though with learning the new offense it doesn't surprise me that some of the RB's are struggling a bit as this is a whole new system to have to think of what you are doing. I still think Hillman makes the team as he is the only RB we have that has a different skill set than anybody else.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today was the 2nd practice that the media were able to be at. Kubiak decided to sit some of the veterans like Manning, Ware, and others today.

Because of that the media got a very upclose look at Osweiler at quarterback. Reports so far are they are really impressed with his play. Some made the comment that he could start today for the team and be successful. I am really hoping the Broncos decide to sit Manning maybe a game or two and give us a chance to see Osweiler get a full game.

Another really positive note is Shane Ray has finally started practicing on the field. Kubiak had said there was a good chance this would be the week he would return so he seems right on track to contribute come time for the season.

So far a couple of bumps and bruises but doesn't look like we will have a Clady like situation come from today's practice.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane Ray has finally signed his Contract! Now Heuerman is the only one unsigned.

More practice news in the Broncos OL looked much better today. Sambrailo seems to have settled into the LT spot.

Other players turning some heads are Todd Davis at the ILB position. He had a big interception and some other key stops throughout practice.

Another is Jordan Taylor at the WR position. He is 6'5" and some good speed. He made some great catches throughout practice. The 4th and 5th WR spots could be huge.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today was the 2nd practice that the media were able to be at. Kubiak decided to sit some of the veterans like Manning, Ware, and others today.

Because of that the media got a very upclose look at Osweiler at quarterback. Reports so far are they are really impressed with his play. Some made the comment that he could start today for the team and be successful. I am really hoping the Broncos decide to sit Manning maybe a game or two and give us a chance to see Osweiler get a full game.

Another really positive note is Shane Ray has finally started practicing on the field. Kubiak had said there was a good chance this would be the week he would return so he seems right on track to contribute come time for the season.

So far a couple of bumps and bruises but doesn't look like we will have a Clady like situation come from today's practice.

If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times. People, namely Chiefs, Chargers, and Raiders fans, keep assuming this team is done once Manning retires. It is going to be a nasty surprise and cause for dismay when the Broncos go 10-6 in their first year post-Manning. There is a lot of young talent on this team and the cap has been managed in a manner that is nothing short of masterful.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Del Rio has now gotten into the action of talking up one of his own by tearing down one of that of the Broncos. He was asked about his thoughts on Mack and he said that he thought Mack is much more physical than that of Von Miller. Not quite the shot that Gase threw at Anderson earlier this year essentially calling him fat and unreliable but still enough to be a bit of bulletin board material. Not sure why former coaches feel the need to tear down a player of their former team. Why can't they just say something like "Mack has impressed me with his physicality."

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I saw that too. He's playing to the home crowd. It's not enough to say what's good about your team, you have to say something that can be considered a knock on the others. It's one thing when hack AA writers like Matt V. write an "analysis" on why the Broncos will miss the playoffs. You expect that sort of thing from amateurs. But for a coach to say it about a former player...it doesn't serve any real purpose.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I saw that too. He's playing to the home crowd. It's not enough to say what's good about your team, you have to say something that can be considered a knock on the others. It's one thing when hack AA writers like Matt V. write an "analysis" on why the Broncos will miss the playoffs. You expect that sort of thing from amateurs. But for a coach to say it about a former player...it doesn't serve any real purpose.

I did appreciate though how Anderson responded to such criticism. He complimented the coach for all of his work and showed great respect while also then showing up to camp in the best shape of his life. People have commented how much more ready he looks this year than last. So while there might have been some truth to what Gase had to say like you said it doesn't need to be said and if anything it just becomes some bulletin board material for Anderson as we play Gase later in the year. I'm sure he has circled that game on his calendar as one he would love to go have a career day.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why former coaches feel the need to tear down a player of their former team. Why can't they just say something like "Mack has impressed me with his physicality."

I would guess some of these comments are backhanded swipes at Elway. Von Miller was Elway's first draft pick and if the rumors are to be believed Elway and Del Rio are not on friendly terms.

That is fine. Del Rio can talk about the broncos all he likes but he has a massive hole to get the raiders out of. Gase gets to deal with Cutler and how to game plan for 2-3 interceptions a game.

I would guess that there were a lot of hurt feelings between Fox/Del Rio/Gase and Elway. Each side is going to make their quips as the months go on.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess some of these comments are backhanded swipes at Elway. Von Miller was Elway's first draft pick and if the rumors are to be believed Elway and Del Rio are not on friendly terms.

That is fine. Del Rio can talk about the broncos all he likes but he has a massive hole to get the raiders out of. Gase gets to deal with Cutler and how to game plan for 2-3 interceptions a game.

I would guess that there were a lot of hurt feelings between Fox/Del Rio/Gase and Elway. Each side is going to make their quips as the months go on.

It is true...I can't say that Elway hasn't fired a few shots. He has hinted at there being some major issues between the whole group. Thankfully it does seem that we have a coaching staff that is on the same page as that of Elway in what they want to do.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how the older people get their supposed to be all mature,wise,etc. Fact is,many still act childish when feelings get hurt. I imagine some of that is going with these " kids " ( Rio,Gaze,Fox,Elway ). Prob is some take jabs at the innocent for their own sake or the O'l, "nanna nanna, take that!" garbage. I say.... grow up more you brats. k that was my psychiatry 101 class for the day:)

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Del Rio has now gotten into the action of talking up one of his own by tearing down one of that of the Broncos. He was asked about his thoughts on Mack and he said that he thought Mack is much more physical than that of Von Miller. Not quite the shot that Gase threw at Anderson earlier this year essentially calling him fat and unreliable but still enough to be a bit of bulletin board material. Not sure why former coaches feel the need to tear down a player of their former team. Why can't they just say something like "Mack has impressed me with his physicality."

Isn't that what Belichick does? No bulletin board material?
Yet, they still hate him. They just discount it as more BB material.
I agree with you Dumler but you have to know the fans want trash. You have to be in a good position as coach to be able to just say nothing.....

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a piece in which Bleacher Report names Bibbs, Norwood, Stewart, Sambralio, and Anderson as five players who have particularly stood out during OTAs: Denver Broncos OTA Standouts Worth Keeping an Eye on This Offseason | Bleacher Report

I'm particularly interested in whether Sambrailo is the best candidate to play LT in Clady's absence, so I found this interesting:

"Sambrailo has a quick kickstep after the snap, and he does a good job of setting his base with the proper width. He has the footwork and athleticism to mirror rushers around the edge. However, Sambrailo did struggle in college against pass-rushers with multiple moves to get after the passer.

The repertoire of moves of the opponents going up against Sambrailo will be the best in the world. He’ll need to show that he can handle the responsibilities of protecting future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning against such rushers. His recognition skills allow him to quickly identify twists or stunts from defensive lineman, and this should help him against rip or swim moves to the inside.

Earlier this year at the 2015 Reese’s Senior Bowl, Sambrailo did not show well at the weigh-in because of his pear shape, narrow shoulders and bad weight. Sambrailo showed an improved physique at last week’s OTAs. The bad weight looks to be gone, and Sambrailo appeared to have a stronger upper body.

Sambrailo is known as a coachable player with high football intelligence. He’s likely to get the first crack at the starting left tackle position, and Sambrailo may not let the job go."

Reads to me as if Ty has a lot of work to do in order to become a competent starting LT, but he just might have the ability to do so.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that what Belichick does? No bulletin board material?
Yet, they still hate him. They just discount it as more BB material.
I agree with you Dumler but you have to know the fans want trash. You have to be in a good position as coach to be able to just say nothing.....

Oh I understand. I was just surprised he went after the guy I would consider the best player on the team. In the grand scheme of things this is a footnote in what will be a giant novel of the season. I would say this was small compared to what Gase had to say about Anderson being fat and unreliable.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a piece in which Bleacher Report names Bibbs, Norwood, Stewart, Sambralio, and Anderson as five players who have particularly stood out during OTAs: Denver Broncos OTA Standouts Worth Keeping an Eye on This Offseason | Bleacher Report

I'm particularly interested in whether Sambrailo is the best candidate to play LT in Clady's absence, so I found this interesting:

"Sambrailo has a quick kickstep after the snap, and he does a good job of setting his base with the proper width. He has the footwork and athleticism to mirror rushers around the edge. However, Sambrailo did struggle in college against pass-rushers with multiple moves to get after the passer.

The repertoire of moves of the opponents going up against Sambrailo will be the best in the world. He’ll need to show that he can handle the responsibilities of protecting future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning against such rushers. His recognition skills allow him to quickly identify twists or stunts from defensive lineman, and this should help him against rip or swim moves to the inside.

Earlier this year at the 2015 Reese’s Senior Bowl, Sambrailo did not show well at the weigh-in because of his pear shape, narrow shoulders and bad weight. Sambrailo showed an improved physique at last week’s OTAs. The bad weight looks to be gone, and Sambrailo appeared to have a stronger upper body.

Sambrailo is known as a coachable player with high football intelligence. He’s likely to get the first crack at the starting left tackle position, and Sambrailo may not let the job go."

Reads to me as if Ty has a lot of work to do in order to become a competent starting LT, but he just might have the ability to do so.

Very good read. Another guy that I keep hearing lots about from other players is Kenny Anunike. If Antonio Smith doesn't return to the team I could see Anunike getting that final spot on the DL. Like I said though lots of other players on the DL keep talking this kid up and saying they have seen a huge difference from last year to this year. Could be another diamond in the rough like Chris Harris (probably not to that level but somebody unexpected to contribute).

Also been hearing from secondary people that they love the fire and leadership of Stewart. I never heard that about Moore so if we get another guy that knows how to communicate and get people in the right place then that is that much better for our team.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good read. Another guy that I keep hearing lots about from other players is Kenny Anunike. If Antonio Smith doesn't return to the team I could see Anunike getting that final spot on the DL. Like I said though lots of other players on the DL keep talking this kid up and saying they have seen a huge difference from last year to this year. Could be another diamond in the rough like Chris Harris (probably not to that level but somebody unexpected to contribute).

Also been hearing from secondary people that they love the fire and leadership of Stewart. I never heard that about Moore so if we get another guy that knows how to communicate and get people in the right place then that is that much better for our team.

I am definitely excited about Stewart. Loved that blurb in the BR piece about how his ability to play center field could be a valuable complement to what figures to be a formidable pass rush.

Also like your suggestion that Anunike might be a good candidate to fill Smith's shoes if Smith doesn't play. I recall that he was very promising last summer, so it's good to learn that he is performing well again. Perhaps he was just another example of what seems to have been Fox's reluctance to give young players a shot.