• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: UFC 153

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silva beat that ass again. Can't wait to see him fight GSP and then hopefully Jon Jones. If he takes and wins both those fights he can easily retire as the best fighter in UFC history.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope GSP comes back strong and finishes Condit. I want to see GSP vs Silva a lot more than Silva vs Jones. GSP vs Silva is a matchup of the #1 vs #2 pound-for-pound best in the world over the last several years, and yet all the announcers wanted to talk about was Silva vs Jones >_>; I still think Jones is behind Silva and GSP's dominance in the UFC.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope GSP comes back strong and finishes Condit. I want to see GSP vs Silva a lot more than Silva vs Jones. GSP vs Silva is a matchup of the #1 vs #2 pound-for-pound best in the world over the last several years, and yet all the announcers wanted to talk about was Silva vs Jones >_>; I still think Jones is behind Silva and GSP's dominance in the UFC.

GSP needs to jump up to 185. It's unfair for Silva to have to cut all the way down to 170 when it's easier for GSP to jump up in weight class. I think Jones vs Silva makes for a more interesting fight all though Silva vs GSP has been a match up i have been waiting for a long time.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones vs Silva is by far a better match up. Jones is kind of a sonofabitch and difficult to like as a person, but look at the last year and a half he has had....These are the guys he has defeated since 2011 began:

Bader (although I think he is overrated)
Shogun
Rampage
Machida
Rashad
Belfort

Everyone but Bader was a champion and arguably a legend in the sport. GSP is a great fighter and one of the most dominant the world has ever seen, but Jones is fighting just as good competition, and finishing them. And he isn't just finishing them, he is dismantling them. Silva just makes the 185 pound division weak. Great champions like Franklin had to leave the division because of him, and other guys won't drop down or move up because of him.

I feel GSP is a great fighter, but I don't think he will ever move up to fight Silva. Possibly at a catch weight, but I still don't see it. He is a guy who fights more not to lose, than to win. Ever since he got beat by Serra he has been a strictly wrestling fighter. He is really small compared to Silva and I don't think he will risk losing that fight.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Jones wins that fight. Chael Sonnen is about half as good as Jones on the ground and he dominated Silva for 6 out of 7 rounds between two fights on the ground. But if he stands up with him long enough Silva can win it. But when he said he thinks the GSP fight will happen it is because he knows this too. I don't think he is afraid of the guy, just that it is a pretty high risk fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in either fight Silva is going to win more than he loses. GSP would be the most well-rounded mistake free fighter that Silva has faced, but GSP would be giving up a good bit of size and nearly 2 inches in reach. I think that ultimately would make it harder for him to engage and be successful in getting the fight to the ground. Silva would also have an easier time getting back to his feet against a smaller opponent. GSP has excellent stand up skill, but Silva is quick with knockout power.

I'm a huge GSP fan but I think the size disadvantage would do him in against Silva.

Jones has all the tools to be the next Anderson Silva, but he is not there yet. Jones like to stand and fight, but if he tries that for to long Silva would put him down. If Jones were to fight smart and look for takedowns early and often I would say he has a good chance. Jones is much bigger than Silva so he could bully his way to a victory if he avoided bad exchanges while standing.

Even though Jones is bigger I don't think he is as skilled as GSP. GSP has fought and dominated guys smaller, bigger, and equal to him throughout the Welterweight division. This is why you have to give him probably the best chance of anyone to beat Silva. Jones has mostly just bullied guys much smaller than him in terms of size and reach. He has shown to have lapse in judgement and be sloppy at times, but he is just so much bigger than his opponent he can get away with it. I don't see him getting away with it against a guy like Silva, but on the same side of the coin I could see him bullying Silva as well.

Life as a fighter sure looks great when you have a near 10 inch reach advantage on about anyone you fight @_@

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GSP is a dominant wrestler. Silva had much better take down defense against Chael the second time, so obviously he has been working on it.

I think those would both be great fights. Jones may stand and try to keep the fight on their feet, but it would be a great physical chess match.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing Jones lacks is one punch power. He continually hits you from different angles and the smaller guys spend too much energy trying to get in on him. The height is a huge advantage and I don't think he will be as great when he moves up to heavyweight, because eventually he is going to have to. He is only going to get bigger with age. When Gustafsson fights Shogun that will be a huge measuring stick as to weather Gustafsson is getting close to ready to fight Jones.

I think GSP is the best game planning fighter there has ever been. And I think he is a better athlete than Jon Jones. But Silva is just too big for him. That fight would probably end in a KO. Then the same would be said if Silva fought Jones. Jones would be able to get in on him and push him against the fence like Bonnar did, only he is so much more dangerous than Bonnar is from that position. But if he stood up and exchanged with Silva it could be one of the best fights in a long time.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Jones wins that fight. Chael Sonnen is about half as good as Jones on the ground and he dominated Silva for 6 out of 7 rounds between two fights on the ground. But if he stands up with him long enough Silva can win it. But when he said he thinks the GSP fight will happen it is because he knows this too. I don't think he is afraid of the guy, just that it is a pretty high risk fight.

You deserved to be kneed in the solar plexus for thinking Jon Jones can defeat THE GOD Anderson Silva. I guess Silva can make the match interesting standing with his back turned in one of the corners of the octagon, but still he couldn't matchup.

Jones went 5 rounds (albeit he dominated those rounds) with Bonnar. Silva took two minutes. From Bonnar's appearance he was in great physical shape, probably best in recent years too.

When Sonnen offered to fight Jon Jones he quickly backed out. Sonnen as we all know was defeated by Silva twice.

and I just find this interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjSqX1Al6vQ

While Bonnar already is already accepting his demise in this commercial, in another video with Bonnar and Griffin both speak confidently about how they can defeat Jon Jones.