• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: This is so freaking cool part II trying to keep it cool

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, that’s incredible. I ran a marathon once, with no ailments or limitations and that was really good damn hard.

The sheer force of will that would take is absolutely dumbfounding.

Reading a bit about the journey, that seriously impressive, he didn’t get acclaim right from the start and had to quit due to the cancer spreading to his lungs. He literally gave the last part of his life to trying to make the world better for others.

I found this quote particularly fitting:
“Everybody seems to have given up hope of trying. I haven't. It isn't easy and it isn't supposed to be, but I'm accomplishing something. How many people give up a lot to do something good?”

Thanks for the share, I didn’t know his story.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Holy shit, that’s incredible. I ran a marathon once, with no ailments or limitations and that was really good damn hard.

Reading a bit about the journey, that seriously impressive, he didn’t get acclaim right from the start and had to quit due to the cancer spreading to his lungs. He literally gave the last part of his life to trying to make the world better for others.

“Everybody seems to have given up hope of trying. I haven't. It isn't easy and it isn't supposed to be, but I'm accomplishing something. How many people give up a lot to do something good?”

since 1982, the schools have been doing Terry Fox Runs every fall to raise money for cancer research. So every kid growing up learns his story.
I assume it hit closer to home for my generation as I was in elementary school when it started, and we would follow along in class.
He had a segment on the news most nights.

Lost his leg at 19, won three national championships in wheelchair basketball by the time he was 21, and then changed the world.
His early days running in the Maritimes were in snowstorms and driving rain. In Quebec people kept trying to run him off the road.
Ontario was getting to be mid summer, so he ran at 4am before it got too hot. but the donations and support were picking up steam by then.
By the time he was forced to stop he had raised $1.7 million. A telethon the next week raised $10.5 mill more. Has grown to over $800 million since.

He didn't live to see his 23rd birthday.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stopped at the memorial where the run ended last summer when I drove across the country. Was nearly night when I got there but it's a lovely sight.

3651036727_eb69881e67_b.jpg

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny even in our age group in the US it wasn’t that well known. The ONLY reason I ever heard of this while I was younger was the Movie on HBO.

Amazing they found an actor that looked similar and was a leg amputee to play the role.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny even in our age group in the US it wasn’t that well known. The ONLY reason I ever heard of this while I was younger was the Movie on HBO.

Amazing they found an actor that looked similar and was a leg amputee to play the role.
Yep I remember that, I watched it using the illegal HBO tube you screwed onto the coaxial back in the day.

Last edited:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ummmm he was not an amputee before the very competitive casting process.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep I remember that, I watched it using the illegal HBO tube you screwed onto the coaxial back in the day.
Funny we didn’t have HBO legally either. When they ran the cable lines on the telephone poles my dad actually tapped into it from the neighbors house, really have no clue how we got away with it?
On that same note he used to mess with the water meter so our bill would be cheaper. Basically it was so primitive a meter he just turned it around. Once again no clue how we never got caught.

Yeah fun times….fun times….

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People usually used to do that to get access to the soft pron.

Was that your version of soft pron? Amputee pron, maybe?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then this dude comes over to check what is going on.....

charlie sheen smoke GIF