• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Ringer

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A buddy of mine and I text constantly, and he asked me why I call Toffoli "The Ringer". He played hockey in Canada as I did too, so he knows exactly what the real meaning of the term is, but I say it facetiously since it seems almost all of his goals are either the product of someone else's hard work, a PP (guy missing on the ice), OT (guys missing on the ice) or just simple tap ins or something like that.

He said he never noticed that but will start to look for it. Once we got talking, I decided to put together all of Toffoli's goals this season just to see if I was being too harsh on him or if I was truly correct.

10/5/18, SJ - short side goal. Right place, right time (good), Jones with a bad goal against.

Toffoli goes short side on Jones

10/18, NYI - deflection in the slot off a Doughty blast. PP goal.

Toffoli's deflection PPG

10/23, Dallas - breakaway, great pass from Walker.

Toffoli's goal trims deficit

11/6, Anaheim - empty net from the red line.

Toffoli's empty-net tally

11/16, Chicago - great move at the blue line to get into a scoring area, shot deflects in off Keith. The play originated in the neutral zone and Carter should have been called for a trip.

Faust: "Tyler Toffoli's first non-empty net goal in 9 games". Ouch.

Toffoli's empty-net tally

12/23, Vegas - OT, stretch pass from Fantenberg, goes in alone on Fleury and beats him.

Toffoli wins it for Kings in OT

1/5, Edmonton - Oiler defenseman with a horrid turnover in their own slot (color me shocked), Toffoli picks it up and goes pretty much alone on Koskinen and beats him. Nice hands on the move.

Toffoli scores off turnover

1/21, Blues - Leipsic with a great pass to a wide open Toffoli. This is exctly why I call him The Ringer, everyone else does all the work.

Leipsic sets up Toffoli

Pang: "Oh boy, that's an easy one for the former Ottawa 67 Tyler Toffoli."

2/4, Rangers - has a break but the defender catches up, he slow down and turns it into a 2 on 1, take his time and make a nice shot. OT game winner.

Toffoli wins it in overtime

2/5, Devils - one timer from in the slot, PP goal. Great pass from Kopitar.

Toffoli's one-time blast

Another tap in from Toffoli, Leipsic with a great pass to start the play, NJ defender is beat, Toffoli wide open.

Toffoli nets his second

I guess you can make your own call, but I'm going to stick with this guy is pretty useless overall. He doesn't generate much for himself - breakaways, tap ins, wide open passes for the most part that originate from someone else's work and when he isn't scoring he really isn't doing much else. He needs guys either off the ice (PP, OT) egregious mistakes from the opponents or stuff like blown assignments and coverage to score most of the time.

Glad he is heating up however, raise that stock so you can move him for more than what he was worth a month ago.

Last edited: