• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Steelers

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Offseason plans:
Believe it or not I don't think the CBs are the most pressing issues.
Farrior and Foote are done. Smith and Hoke are done. Polamalu is a concern. Clark was our top tackler but he's not young. Hampton may play one more year.
Ike took the blame for the season ending TD pass but I couldn't help but notice that Mundy telegraphed his run blitz and then was late to come back into the underneath. My guess is that if Clark was playing then that play doesn't get made. My point is that I don't think much of our safety depth.

I say we should resign Hampton and draft a NT in the early/middle rounds. Need to hope that Kiesel has some miles left. Need to hope that Hood and Heyward are ready to take things to the next level. The D-line might be okay but I'm really sad about Hoke. I always thought he was under-rated. I loved Smith but I think he's done even if he gets his health back.
I also say that we should sign an impact ILB. This is my FA signing. I could also say CB, S, or OLine but I think ILB may be an easier value proposition. Assuming that we go ILB then:

I think that a Safety should be a top priority in the draft. First two rounds depending on how it shakes out.
CB in early/middle rounds if we see someone we really like.

On the other side I like everything except for the OLine. We need to draft an OLineman in the first three rounds.

Now this is admittedly a foolish thing to do when I don't know what talent is on the board but I think my ideal draft would be something like this:

1. OLine or Safety
2. OLine or Safety or CB
3. CB or NT or ILB
4. NT or ILB
5. ILB or RB

I should clarify - I would take a RB higher than round 5 if there's a really interesting guy available and no obvious fit for our other needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order of need, IMO:

1. O-Line
2. ILB
3. S
4. NT
5. ILB
6. CB

I agree, I think they can get an impact ILB in free agency, and possibly a Tackle if they really want one. I think they need to draft an o-lineman (or two) in the top three rounds.

Agree, about Smith and Hoke, good guys going out because of serious injuries isn't fun to see. I think Kiesel has shown his importance this year, whenever he was out this year the defense struggled.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confident that Heyward and Hood will be able to replace Smith adequately, but we need a DT to backup/eventually replace Hampton. Since DTs get way more money than they should in free agency, I'd look for that in the middle rounds of the draft.

Inside linebacker is something I would attack in free agency, as well. Timmons is a number one, but we need someone else. I would keep one of Farrior or Foote around as depth, and sign one more guy.

I like both Taylor and Gay, but I think the latter is more of a nickle corner. I would look for good second-corner options in free agency and see if there's a good value out there. If not, look for a potential long-term shutdown guy somewhere in the second or third round of the draft.

I agree with drafting a safety, but I don't think it needs to be right away. Clark and Polamalu are very good, and Mundy is okay, but we do need more depth and a guy who can take over when Clark retires. I'd say again, second or third round for a safety, just like corner, unless someone really good falls to us in the first round, who we just can't pass up.

Offensive line is the position I most want to see them tackle in the first round of the draft. Guard or tackle. I would prefer we go for a tackle first, because I think we're slightly stronger at guard than at tackle, but I would draft the best lineman available. I'd love to get one of the big uglies from Wisconsin. Those guys get fantastic pushes in the running game, and they all seem like very cerebral linemen.

I like our running back situation, so I don't think we need to even consider addressing that in the draft or free agency.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't dislike the running back situation, but I would always be on the lookout for a guy that is explosive in the fourth round or later, there are plenty of times guys like that go late, and make an impact. The Steelers have been drafting big, slow backs late for the past half decade, and none have worked.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dislike the RB situation. Mendenhall is a good feature back but I'd like to have a better 3rd down back.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the tackle position is of the utmost importance during the offseason, and the offensive line, as a whole. Max Starks tore his right ACL in the game against denver. Both Starks and Willie Colon have major injury issues. They need someone younger, and with pedigree. Gilbert is really the only one that can be counted on, next season.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree O-line as always is a concern.
The young guys at D-end will be fine the major concern should be Nose Tackle. I doubt Hampton can be a useful starter with that bad knee injury, his size and age.

Also the ILB position will need some youth.
The DB's I think need to be upgraded. I know I might be in the minority but I an not a fan of Ike Taylor. He is serviceable but I never pictured him as a true shutdown DB.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard with the players coming back that right now the Steelers will be 25million over the cap? I haven't seen their cap situation but I have a feeling quite a few of the old players will be gone.

The one I heard was Hampton was making 7 million. IF he comes back it will be for WAY less. If he isn't willing to take the cut he is gone. Kemoeatu make 4.1 million, boy just cut the cord now with that one!

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard with the players coming back that right now the Steelers will be 25million over the cap? I haven't seen their cap situation but I have a feeling quite a few of the old players will be gone.

The one I heard was Hampton was making 7 million. IF he comes back it will be for WAY less. If he isn't willing to take the cut he is gone. Kemoeatu make 4.1 million, boy just cut the cord now with that one!

Yup, it's gonna be a wild and crazy off-season for Omar, Art and Kevin.

take a look at these cap hit numbers on some veterans for next season:

Bryant McFadden - $2.6 (goodbye)
Jonathan Scott - $2.7 (goodbye)
Aaron Smith - $2.9 (goodbye)
Larry Foote - $3.6 (restructure or goodbye)
James Farrior - $3.8 (restructure or goodbye)
Hines Ward - $4.6 (restructure or goodbye)
Chris Kemoeatu - $5.2 (goodbye)
Willie Colon - $5.7 (restructure)
Casey Hampton - $8.0 (restructure or goodbye)

That's nine veterans making a combined cap hit of $39.1 million dollars for 2012. The front office will get this sorted out. I have complete faith in them.