• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Siri

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i despise apple.. but IMO there's no denying the iphone

oh wait you said we weren't fighting about this.. crap..

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry....fordman and i have a back and forth going

its all in good fun though

No worries. Just hate when these things become about PC v. Apple or Google v. Apple or whatever. They all have value.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I thought this was about Tom Cruise's daughter.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you ask it "Where is the the best place to bury dead hookers?"

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever convinced Americans that they needed a smartphone was a frickin genius. For me, I'm completely happy with my phone as long as it calls people that's all I need. I'll never understand the need to check weather, listen to music, play games etc on your phone.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever convinced Americans that they needed a smartphone was a frickin genius. For me, I'm completely happy with my phone as long as it calls people that's all I need. I'll never understand the need to check weather, listen to music, play games etc on your phone.

Well la-dee-dah! Fun police alert! :mod:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

- H. L. Mencken

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On the fly navagation and live traffic conditions are not to be undervalued.

Plus I can look at p0rn on the go...

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
G doesn't exist, it is just a spot the ladies tell us exists to keep our ego's in check :)

I have data to disprove this. I could ask Mrs 43 to testify, but she sleeps a lot lately.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I pretty much do none of those things, except occasionally check the weather. But a smartphone is worth the price alone just so I can check emails / internet at work without having to login at the internet-access computers down the hall. Not to mention they are incredibly handy when travelling - that's the biggest plus to me.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's powerful stuff that will surely help voice activated computing. We've seen some of this language interpretation skills from IBM's Watson. It's cool to see it already being used in something like a phone. Surely even cooler stuff to come from both Apple and Google on this.

This reminds me of a great little online "20 questions" program I saw a few years ago. You'd think of an object or person, and the program could determine the answer after 20 yes/no questions pretty much every time. The key was learning - every game it played, win or loss, it just plugged the yes/no answers into a matrix. Eventually it built up a huge database, without the need to connect to the internet or anything.

That's what I think would really get things like Siri going. If Siri could score it's own response based on user satisfaction, and cross-reference over all Siri-users, it could conceivably learn what types of answers people are looking for. That's basically how we learn to communicate ourselves, to an extent.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry....fordman and i have a back and forth going

its all in good fun though

Yeah wyo uses inferior stuff that is prone to viruses. He hasn't come around to buying the good stuff yet.

:caked:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well, it is great for passing time waiting at the Dr office, but it can make going #2 take a little bit longer :faint2:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This reminds me of a great little online "20 questions" program I saw a few years ago. You'd think of an object or person, and the program could determine the answer after 20 yes/no questions pretty much every time. The key was learning - every game it played, win or loss, it just plugged the yes/no answers into a matrix. Eventually it built up a huge database, without the need to connect to the internet or anything.

That's what I think would really get things like Siri going. If Siri could score it's own response based on user satisfaction, and cross-reference over all Siri-users, it could conceivably learn what types of answers people are looking for. That's basically how we learn to communicate ourselves, to an extent.

I had one of those little hand held games. Looked like a tennis ball, and that thing was FREAKY how accurate it was. I'd say 9 out of 10 times it could figure out what you were thinking. The sports version was terrible though. Never got the right player.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah wyo uses inferior stuff that is prone to viruses. He hasn't come around to buying the good stuff yet.

:caked:

:rolleyes:

tumblr_lrdvhdXWgj1qay9by.gif

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really talking about personality. I'm talking about AI and I think I explained poorly. And I don't want to make this a Apple/PC or iPhone/Google thing either. I appreciate both and I think that both will push the other to be better. Classic capitalism. Too often these things get hinged on I like my side and you like yours and let's make fun of people on the other side (like the jab above about Android doing this two years ago).

Google Voice operates off very simple commands. You say certain words to utilize different native applications. If you want to text or listen to a song, you say a precise "command word" to make the phone do something in particular.

This is where Siri is a little different. You just say what you want. It doesn't respond to a "command" but interprets your own natural language and performs the function you want. So, for the calendar, if you say "schedule an appointment for...", "what is my next appointment," or "what am I doing tonight," it does different things with your calendar to best answer your question. It even answers questions for you at times - if I ask what the high temperature is, not only does it bring up the weather report, but it tells me so if I'm driving I don't even have to look at my phone.

That's powerful stuff that will surely help voice activated computing. We've seen some of this language interpretation skills from IBM's Watson. It's cool to see it already being used in something like a phone. Surely even cooler stuff to come from both Apple and Google on this.

I'm with you then. I read it like you were more implying that it couldn't be done on Android at all.

From experience though, I'll say that I got tired of talking to my phone real quick. Only use the voice stuff when driving now.