• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT. Newton Silences Critics?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Threw for over 400 yards against AZ and ran for a score. I hope this shuts up his critics for a while.

Don't get me wrong he played a great game and his d and special teams let him down but he also failed to convert with the game on the line in the red zone solid B+ IMO

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's looked much better than I thought he would at this stage.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He shut me up, even though I'm not really a big critic, I just didn't think he was going to make this kind of impact. I don't watch college ball, all I did was watch the bowl games this past season to check out the QBs and Newton didn't really seem that impressive. Even taking away that 77 yard gift, he played great.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vince Young won ROTY and made a Pro Bowl and didn't silence any critics. I don't know why everyone expects us to burn Cam Newton's name on the face of the moon or throw him a parade over one game, a loss at that.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He's looked much better than I thought he would at this stage.

Ditto. Great start for my bust pick. :(

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He shut me up, even though I'm not really a big critic, I just didn't think he was going to make this kind of impact. I don't watch college ball, all I did was watch the bowl games this past season to check out the QBs and Newton didn't really seem that impressive. Even taking away that 77 yard gift, he played great.

There was so much negativity about him, its good to see him stand up and play well. This while playing on the road with a 1 and 15 team speaks well for him.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well I thought he was a project QB that could eventually become a decent starter. But with all the off the field issues, if you told me Cam Newton would get +400 yards in his 1st game, I still wouldn't take him in the 1st round.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't a Cam hater, just a skeptic. I do see potential he will have to tap into and play there consistently.

It's kind of weird that 49er fans have to be reminded that it was just one game though. We've had some bad QBs have 1 good game.

It's not like Cards have an amazing pass defense either.

I'll be happy if Cam does well, i think the league is better for each great QB it has, but he has more to prove before he shuts anyone up. If he does live up to his potential, he could be extremely fun to watch.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll wait til he's not playing a depleted Cards defense.

I'm with you right there. Too often do we make a big deal out of 1 game and it tends to end up being the fault of the other side, or a lucky game. He hasn't convinced me of anything. So he beat up the Cards Defense. Who hasn't? He did look better than i ever expected him too, but lets so if he can keep it up before we start praising him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he was a one year wonder. having critics comes with the territory.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
completey proved me wrong so far. thought he would fall flat especially in the beginning. 400 yards in his 1st start? not in my wildest dreams would i have thought that.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He was my "prediction pick" for OROY. I still wouldn't have drafted him though if my beloved niners had the # 1 pick.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I think about it, I'm not all that surprised by Newton's performance. He's exactly the type of QB to have an impact his rookie - a la Michael Vick and Vince Young. QBs that are so physically talented fair well early on. Once defenses adjust to his playing style, however, he'll be fool's gold.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now that I think about it, I'm not all that surprised by Newton's performance. He's exactly the type of QB to have an impact his rookie - a la Michael Vick and Vince Young. QBs that are so physically talented fair well early on. Once defenses adjust to his playing style, however, he'll be fool's gold.

I am not so sure about that. Smith has never had a half where he looked as good as Newton did in that game.